• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazyCracker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2014
    Scott County
    Anyone on here ever been to Gunsite? Wife is wanting to visit some friends in Arizona this summer and I thought about doing some sweet talking and maybe taking a class while we are out there? I'm looking at just taking the 250 Pistol course, sounds like a really good course kinda pricey but it is 5 days. Some of the videos look like it would be a blast and very good training.

http://www.gunsite.com/

CrazyCracker

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Took 250 years ago, good class then, but don't know if they've updated it since!? As far as it goes, Gunsite is somewhere every enthusiast needs to go at least once! Then on to Thunder Ranch!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    GunSite is on my wish list. It is the Granddaddy of them all. I shoot with several GunSite grads and they are the most squared away shooters I know.

Craigh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    Anyone on here ever been to Gunsite? Wife is wanting to visit some friends in Arizona this summer and I thought about doing some sweet talking and maybe taking a class while we are out there? I'm looking at just taking the 250 Pistol course, sounds like a really good course kinda pricey but it is 5 days. Some of the videos look like it would be a blast and very good training.

http://www.gunsite.com/

CrazyCracker

Hey Crazy,
    I’ve been to Gunsite, albeit a while ago (too long ago). I took 250 in the summer of 2006 and our class was one of the last that got to meet and converse with Col. Cooper before he passed. That experience has been the cornerstone of my shooting/personal defense studies and I would certainly encourage anyone who has that opportunity to do it.

Gunsite has a rich history and there are a number of highly respected instructors that got their start and/or have ties with the Col;
    Clint Smith
    Louis Awerbuck (RIP)
    Pat Rogers
    Tom Givens
    Larry Mudgett (he was the Range Master for my class)

Just to name a few…

I think Gunsite 250 builds a solid foundation and gives a person the tools (not just in shooting, but mindset/safety as well) needed for their continued growth and development.

You may find those who are critical of Gunsite, saying their techniques/methods are ‘dated’ but, that’s not been my experience. Compared to the additional training/competitions I’ve participated in, I’ve not found the training I received at Gunsite to be lacking in anyway.

That’s not to say my shooting style hasn’t evolved as I’ve studied/learned more (as it certainly has). It’s been the fundamental foundation built in 250 that I still build upon. I hope you get the chance to go.

Thanks,

Craig

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Hey Crazy,
    I’ve been to Gunsite, albeit a while ago (too long ago). I took 250 in the summer of 2006 and our class was one of the last that got to meet and converse with Col. Cooper before he passed. That experience has been the cornerstone of my shooting/personal defense studies and I would certainly encourage anyone who has that opportunity to do it.

Gunsite has a rich history and there are a number of highly respected instructors that got their start and/or have ties with the Col;
    Clint Smith
    Louis Awerbuck (RIP)
    Pat Rogers
    Tom Givens
    Larry Mudgett (he was the Range Master for my class)

Just to name a few…

I think Gunsite 250 builds a solid foundation and gives a person the tools (not just in shooting, but mindset/safety as well) needed for their continued growth and development.

You may find those who are critical of Gunsite, saying their techniques/methods are ‘dated’ but, that’s not been my experience. Compared to the additional training/competitions I’ve participated in, I’ve not found the training I received at Gunsite to be lacking in anyway.

That’s not to say my shooting style hasn’t evolved as I’ve studied/learned more (as it certainly has). It’s been the fundamental foundation built in 250 that I still build upon. I hope you get the chance to go.

Thanks,

Craig

Hey Craig, I didn't know Larry was there when you went. I have a friend who believes the gun world starts and ends with Larry Mudgett.

Craigh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    Hey Craig, I didn't know Larry was there when you went. I have a friend who believes the gun world starts and ends with Larry Mudgett.

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure your friend is wrong. :)

It was funny, at that point, I was just starting with the whole carrying a handgun for self defense etc... I remember the first day of class, when the staff came in for introductions and hearing a bunch of guys muttering 'holy ****, that's Larry Mudgett!!'. He was/is a fantastic instructor and by the end of the week, I was going 'holy ****, I had Larry Mudgett for an instructor!' ... LOL. Tons of great stories that illustrated the finer points of the class.

Thanks,

Craig

CGC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    FYI, Sheriff Ken Campbell recently took over as operations chief at Gunsite.

Top Bottom