• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Ordered 4 thrust bearings. When I install the lynch pin I am going to try and install it w/ a press fit against the thrust bearings to try and tighten the slop in the wheels up just a bit. Also got started on the sponge last night. Had a few goofs that are going to take me just a little bit to fix. Ordered a piece of stainless all thread for sleeving the vent, and worked out the details of getting it installed. Looks like the end of april if everything goes smoothly.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I think the round pins on the end of the flat steel looks better than the straight cut straps. The blended cap-squares look pretty good too. Its good to see you getting so close. Keep it up!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Ordered 4 thrust bearings. When I install the lynch pin I am going to try and install it w/ a press fit against the thrust bearings to try and tighten the slop in the wheels up just a bit. Also got started on the sponge last night. Had a few goofs that are going to take me just a little bit to fix. Ordered a piece of stainless all thread for sleeving the vent, and worked out the details of getting it installed. Looks like the end of april if everything goes smoothly.

I am curious about the axe. Stupid question time. I have not played with wood wheels. Is there a wheel bearing setup on these. Or a bushing? You can always take up the slop side to side with washers used as a shim. Hide them on the inside of the wheel. They can be made easily if you can't find stock. Milled to the necessary thickness if need be.

And you are at 9k veiws! Wow!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    THANKS pete! Just the sort of response I was waiting for. I will definitely put the pins on the strapping, and I am glad you like the blended cap-squares. My wife says it looks goofy but I think its just because we were so used to the old look. once they are painted I am certain the hours of work to do that will be worthwhile.

Picked up a gallon of BLO today, and the 4th ring. and ordered a 2 1/4 flex hone 240 grit to polish the bore as its a bit rough right now, 4 yards of 1/2 inch three strand twisted 100 percent cotton rope, and 3 pounds of potassium nitrate.... that will be enough to make my own slow match. Will be picking up the bearings tomorrow hopefully.

I am kicking around the idea of making a chest that will mount between the trails behind the middle transom... it will be painted as well, and would have metal straping on all the edges also. Building this would make the cannon 100 percent self sustaining, as in i can just roll it off the trailer and take it where i will be shooting it, and wont have to carry any extra stuff, but i am a bit stumped on how to secure it, and a bit nervous as to how long it will set me back time wise.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    To many issues to design something like that, and I almost feel like it would detract from the best looking aspect of the cannon. If i were going that route I should have designed it like that from the beginning. I have some ideas on how to mount the box, just nobody to run my ideas through to make sure they are sound. Still not sure if i want the extra build time.

Here is the idea, although mine would look nowhere close, but it shows that this location is a period correct location even it i fail to match it cosmetically.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I think I goofed on the idea for this box. Thought I would make a quick trip to home depot and pick up some things to get a majority of the product for the project and walked out with a 184 dollar receipt. I thought this box would run me an extra 50-75 bucks.... guess I WAY underestimated that. Hopefully its worth it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am curious about the axe. Stupid question time. I have not played with wood wheels. Is there a wheel bearing setup on these. Or a bushing? You can always take up the slop side to side with washers used as a shim. Hide them on the inside of the wheel. They can be made easily if you can't find stock. Milled to the necessary thickness if need be.

And you are at 9k veiws! Wow!

Did you see this question about the axles? I am just curious about them.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Hopefully your wife didn't know the budget. Happens to me all the time.
    Now I just shoot an arrow, what ever it hits, that was my target. Never off budget again......

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Did you see this question about the axles? I am just curious about them.

I did not see that. The hubs were all wood with a 1/2 inch hole when i got it. I drilled it out and epoxied a steel gas pipe into the middle of the hub so it will be metal on metal contact. it appears these bearings are going to get most of the slop out.

Hopefully your wife didn't know the budget. Happens to me all the time.
    Now I just shoot an arrow, what ever it hits, that was my target. Never off budget again......

HAHA, she was with me. We communicate very well though and she was ok with going over budget. She knows I want this cannon to turn out nice.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Thanks for answering. I thought maybe I'd made you mad :-( If the thing doesn't go down the highway that should work fine.

Having a understanding wife is great when it comes to hobby's. My wife and I had our hobby's. We both had fun. Good times!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Nah didn't make me mad... was out of town for a week, and will be out of town next week as well. Most of my stuff has come in, so first week in april i am going to try and get the vent installed. then i will be doing the finishing touch's and hopefully taking it to paint, then test firing.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    well, Sunday would have been a great day to get some stuff done and make some progress, but family comes first, and with this week not being a good week for family time the wife wanted a sandbox for her to play with our son in while she was off on spring break. From looking at a picture online, to 100 percent completed was about 7 hours... pretty sore but it was a lot a fun to do with the whole family.

Closed it will keep animals from crapping in it.

as you open it the "cover" becomes seats w/ back rests

Fully open

5 feet wide by 7 feet long. who says pinterest isn't good for anything?

anywho.... Things got delayed on the construction site so I had today off. Here is what I got done.... Still not 100 percent done, have to fill it up with something to help make the seal since I am not sure its making 100 percent contact right now, but I am pretty sure you guys know what this means!

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Nice up date! two projects at once to boot. You've been a busy man! You have to keep the wife happy. Nice sand box!

That cannon looks like it was fun to get up there. Did you get your bearings in yet? you must be pretty close to make a lot of noise!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Don't really have to get the bearings "in" per say. Just have to drill the hole for the lynch pin in a way that it will be a driven compression fit. Still have one more lynch pin to make. Have to make the hangers for the implement handles. Have to make the box and figure out how its going to be mounted. weld the handles in place. then it will be paint. More than likely I will be proof testing this barrel first though because if something bad happens to either the carriage or the barrel during the proof firing I wont have quite as much time and effort invested. Nobody will be invited to the proof testing for this reason. Once its proofed, anybody that has had a hand in helping me along the way will be invited to the main event!

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    So Im confused, is the new litter box staying in the garage or in the drive blocking the garage? It looks good but are you moving it as needed or what? I can hear the wife now, put it here, move it over there...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    So Im confused, is the new litter box staying in the garage or in the drive blocking the garage? It looks good but are you moving it as needed or what? I can hear the wife now, put it here, move it over there...

You have not seen my "garage' sir have you? Its not a place where we put vehicles.. Its a place solely dedicated to me getting cool projects done. there will never be any cars parked here. it will not be moved from that spot in the driveway until we build our house out east sometime in the next year or two.

That spot of the garage that its "blocking" is also "blocked" from the inside with my pedestal mounted grinder, pedestal mounted, sander, wood lathe, and welding cart. so there isn't any "access" from that side anyways.... in fact for about a year there has been about a 3 foot walkway between the cannon and the rest of the stuff.... I cant wait to have a bigger work space.

Top Bottom