• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Looking forward to seeing the cannon fully assembled. Did you work out the kinks on the possibles crate? I would like to see pictures of it also. Keep up the good work.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I bring this update with a challenge for ingo. I am hoping to test fire this thing on sunday weather and schedule permitting. In order to do that I have two more things that MUST be done. The sponge made, and the vent installation finished. Neither are really difficult and should be no problem to get done before the weekend. However due to scheduling I will need to get the cannon cleaned ASAP so I can get on the road on sunday so I need to have things ready to clean it quickly. The bore is 2 1/4 and I need a "bore brush" best bet as of right now is a chimney sweep trimmed down, but if there is something better lets hear the ideas.

Anywho, got the handles welded to the washer.

on the cannon

And the reinforcing bracket to help transfer the energy into the axle.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Picked up a 6 inch chimney brush tonight... I am going to try to test fire this thing on sunday if my schedule allows it... wont have time to wait on McMaster, BUT I will check it out and see if it will be any better than my chimney brush.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    This was the results of my failed attempt at hastily making a sponge to allow me to test fire next week. Didn't turn out anything like how I though and in my attempts to "fix" the issues I destroyed the oak dowel.... Slowing back down and will remake the sponge the correct way when I have time to go slow. this is the second failed attempt at a sponge. hopefully the third time is a charm. Ingo gets to see the good AND the bad of this build.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Its very cool how close your version is to the real thing.

2py718n.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Its very cool how close your version is to the real thing.

2py718n.jpg

Its damn near identical.... I pretty much took ideas from two different period cannons.... The size of the light 3 pounder you have pictured, included my full scale barrel. But the shape of a 6 pounder. The 3 pounders had straight trails but I liked the added angles of the 6 pounders. My wheel size was as big as I could get w/out looking goofy for that size barrel. they are 42 inch's instead of the "correct" 36"..... It also would have used a quoin (wooden wedge) to adjust elevation, but I wanted a threaded rod adjustment so I added that as well.... If my cannon were to be transported back into time I don't think it would have been out of place, and is probably pushing 90 percent period correct.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Just got caught up on this thread. Great project and great read! IndyGunworks, thanks for posting and continuing to update so we can enjoy your project along with you.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Between this thread and all the cannons (which are all a lot smaller then Indygunworks) at our local cowboy club, I just had to build one which I posted above. Then today I wanted to do another that would hold more powder, so I did. Watch the video below.

Its percussion only. Still cool tho!!

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Thanks for the inspiration pardner! May build a bigger one tomorrow! This is fun!!
    I filled about 7/8 of the barrel with Swiss fffg, covered it with a 12 ga wad and pounded the **** out of it with a dowel rod and a rubber mallet. Worked real well.

Top Bottom