• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Try McMaster Carr, p/n 7230T18. 2 1/4" SS bristle tube brush.

Thanks for the tip.... I have one of these on the way as of this morning. had to call though... the website was down... Probably a good thing that I couldn't browse other stuff they had there or 13 dollars would have turned into 1300 REAL fast.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Thanks for the tip.... I have one of these on the way as of this morning. had to call though... the website was down... Probably a good thing that I couldn't browse other stuff they had there or 13 dollars would have turned into 1300 REAL fast.

Also, its 1/4 NPT

which means it will fit the shaft of my chimney brush... I made a handle so I can pin and epoxy it onto the shaft, which I will do with the brush as well, allowing me to provide clockwise, or counter clockwise rotation while cleaning it.

Will clean up the welds and paint later.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I read every update. I have enjoyed the thread immensely! I try to comment on the progress. I have learned a lot in the last year. thanks for taking the time to share.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I read every update. I have enjoyed the thread immensely! I try to comment on the progress. I have learned a lot in the last year. thanks for taking the time to share.

I had already been working on it for three months before I started the thread. and if you want to include the research phase I had 6 months into that at least.... it was about this time two years ago when that crappy crappy cannon came up for sale in the classifieds that made me even want to own a cannon to begin with.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I am also keeping up with every update. I just love every aspect of the cannon! The black powder, the tools, the build, the BOOM! Its nostalgic, its history, its genius, its just freakin fun! Built two more mortars today and a 19" cannon with trunions yesterday. Going to do a carriage for it with trails. I cant help it, you IndyGunworks and all the cannons at the cowboy matches got me excited. I have a plan. To get all the cannons at the three day Paradise match lined up and put model rocket ignitors in them and wire them to a main using a 12 volt battery with a detonator button. For those about to rock!!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    11,000 views..... not enough posts, but plenty of views.... I am glad to know there are a lot of people keeping up with my thread.

I think it's because this is such a new thing for everybody. Not many have much to contribute so we're all sitting here patiently watching the progress. It's looking awesome... and it looks like you have an EXCELLENT helper!!!!

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    11,000 views..... not enough posts, but plenty of views.... I am glad to know there are a lot of people keeping up with my thread.

I am one of the silent stalkers of this thread. I love seeing all of the updates and appreciate the fact that you are taking the time to put them together and post them.

I have no experience or knowledge to add to the subject, so I'm just a spectator. My guess is a lot of people are in the same boat.

That said, if you need some 'strong back, weak mind' kind of help at some point, I'd be more than happy to give you a hand. Keep up the good work!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am one of the silent stalkers of this thread. I love seeing all of the updates and appreciate the fact that you are taking the time to put them together and post them.

I have no experience or knowledge to add to the subject, so I'm just a spectator. My guess is a lot of people are in the same boat.

That said, if you need some 'strong back, weak mind' kind of help at some point, I'd be more than happy to give you a hand. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for chiming in... Rep sent... Its nice to see who is following the thread.... You guys are the motivation for all the extra hassle of picture taking and post making.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Northwest lumber company... they special ordered the current dowels for me, and when I picked them up they had a few that they tossed in with the other dowels.... If I were a betting man I would say they are still there... I might just use the one I have though, and just cut about 2 inch's of the char off... wont be the same length as all the others but they sort of vary anyways. I haven't added any of the attachment hooks yet so I am still flexible for length..

If you stop by and they have one in there, pick it up and I will get it off you.. I am in greenfield often. if not no big deal at all.

5035 Lafayette Road
    Indianapolis, Indiana 46254
    317-293-1100

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    2 1/4 brush was to small... Have to order a larger one.

I was worried about the size when you said the bore was closer to 2 3/8" after honing. McMaster has 2 1/2 & 2 3/4" brushes in the same series. Still SS bristle & 1/4 NPT thread. Can't wait until it is done!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I re-measured though before I ordered it and its a 2 1/4 inch bore. the 2 1/4 inch brush just barely contacts the sides. Not enough to do any actual cleaning.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Putting the barrel back on

Loaded up

And after a LOOONG day.

Lets just say I am going to need some SERIOUS rep points before I upload any of the video. This is where all you lurkers can let me know you are following the thread.

Also a VERY special thanks to Tophat45 for opening his home up to my family today for lots of fun. It was a "blast" as always.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    IndyGunworks I know Im not worthy but do you care if I post another cannon Im building. Its small, 19" long with a 3" tube. Has a big BOOM! Into the carriage build now. Needs wheels....

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Lets just say I am going to need some SERIOUS rep points before I upload any of the video. This is where all you lurkers can let me know you are following the thread.

Also a VERY special thanks to Tophat45 for opening his home up to my family today for lots of fun. It was a "blast" as always.

Dude, you have mad skills. I have been following, and this is my first post in your thread. I have thoroughly enjoyed the vicarious living while watching you build this cannon. Thank you for sharing it with me, and everyone else. Wish I could have skills like yours to build stuff. I cain't even build a dog house. It turned out to be a dog hut instead. Videos would be nice, still shots of the action would be great for me. Hope this meets all the things you wanted while you dreamed it and built it.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom