• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, so in the midst of my unemployment, I've had several people tell me I ought to do gunsmithing. Problem is, I have no formal training whatsoever, and only specialized knowledge of certain guns, not a broad, general knowledge to fix-it-all, so to speak.

At the moment, I've found a couple places online that appear reputable and offer Gunsmithing degrees, the NRA Short-Term gunsmithing schools are too far away. The only other option would be apprenticing, and there aren't too many smiths in the area.

Anyone followed either of these routes? For you gunsmiths out there, where did you get your training?

My best friend started out almost completing a degree in marketing, before switching majors, and she said she'd be willing to help with the marketing side if I decided to get serious, and there are grants out there that could help with training, FFL cost, setting up shop, etc.

Just exploring my options at the moment...

The best part about the online courses is that when I do find employment, I could likely continue them, so I didn't waste anything I'd already done...

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I have wondered the exact same thing. Personally I would enjoy being an apprentice to a smith....I did a 5 year apprenticeship to be an electrician...great way to learn. But at the same time I can see where formal schooling would be a good idea as well.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I am not so certain you do not have to be an FFL. to take possession of a firearm to work on it.
    I would like to know if I have been lied to :)

aijk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Eminence
    I am currently taking gunsmithing classes through Penn Foster and they are pretty good. Their books are nice and they are a very helpful company as far as with your school work and everything. Part of their classes is to show you how to get your ffl because yes you are supposed to get your ffl to work on guns. they tell you not to even work on your buddy's gun without it, but well i dont know about that. I paid cash for it and it was only like $600 if you pay cash but they do take payments. They are who i got my high school through also.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    Trinidad state junior college,trinidad colorado has a two and a three year course.
    I know its a long way and more money but they have a reputation as the best.

Hope this helps.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I am not so certain you do not have to be an FFL. to take possession of a firearm to work on it.
    I would like to know if I have been lied to :)

Yeah, that's why I mentioned grants and such for FFL, you do need an FFL to work on firearms, technically, unless the owner is right there the entire time, hence the reason you shouldn't leave your firearm at a local engraver if they're not an FFL, even if they say they can engrave it... If they can do it while you wait, cool, if not, trouble all around.

Top Bottom