Gunvault Biometric safes...anyone have any first hand experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    I have 2 Gunvault safes, but none that are biometric. I am planning on buying the one below to go in our utility room for my wife and I and wanted to go Biometric but a couple reviews that I saw said the the fingerprint code option didn't work all the time. Just curious if anyone has the biometric option and how they work? Thanks!

SVB500 SpeedVault | GunVault | GunVault

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If you get a cut on your finger, have oily, sweaty, bloody, or just plain dirty hands, it won't work. Cool idea in theory but hard to perfect in reality (especially at their price point).

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    +1 to everything wsenefeld said.

I got to play with high dollar biometrics at Purdue a few years ago and they weren't always perfect. I wouldn't rely on a unit that inexpensive to work when needed. I prefer safes with Simplex locks.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    We do not recommend biometric safes for defense guns. They are simply not reliable enough. We have had nothing but trouble (many swipes needed) with the one we have and have even had demos done by manufacturers right in our shop. The very expensive one made here in Fishers failed to open for my fingerprint on every attempt! It never opened ONCE for my fingers! He tried multiple swipes and using different fingers. They are a neat idea, but nothing I am going to risk my life on. I've spent a lot of time and money on training, planning, firearms, ammo, equipment... all to have my safe not open when I need my gun RIGHT NOW? No way. Stick to the traditional hand silhouette safes and practice using them in the dark. No reason you can't get to your gun in less than 2 seconds.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Used to be a big proponent of the GunVaults. Then a few years ago (2010-ish maybe?) they made some changes that decreased reliability in my experience and that of many others (buttons for sure, locking mechanism, battery tray, and since the battery life went down, I'm guessing the electronics too, although I don't know that for sure, maybe quality control). See prior thread [1].

So, after owning GunVaults for about 16 years, I'm done with them (unless I happen across an older model somewhere).

My next such smaller box is going to have a mechanical simplex lock (ex. Ft. Knox Pistol box, etc.).

[1] - https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/146688-gunvault-warning.html

Edit: Btw, I mentioned contacting GunVault in post #6 of that thread. NEVER received a response from them.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I'll just leave these here...
    [video=youtube;R8i3zVGQFKo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8i3zVGQFKo[/video]

[video=youtube;1frG-SfTz5s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1frG-SfTz5s[/video]

Last edited:

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Was also quite surprised when my 15 year-old son walked up, ran his finger across the sensor and opened the door... Apparently our fingerprints are close enough. Took it back and got one with a mechanical lock.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    I've had two Gunvault's for years now that I use nearly every day and haven't had an issue, I didn't know that there were problems.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Anytime someone asks about safes, specifically biometric safes, I post this video.

Well worth the watch. Just beware of the language. It's from Defcon, a hackers convention, and describes how most gun safes are crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcv1YBTSG2g

Well worth the watch...doesn't even come close. Downright eye-opening is more like it. Scary how easily most of the off-the-shelf gear is opened up!

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Anytime someone asks about safes, specifically biometric safes, I post this video.

Well worth the watch. Just beware of the language. It's from Defcon, a hackers convention, and describes how most gun safes are crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcv1YBTSG2g

I watched this and it is eye-opening. You could probably watch the first half only and see more than enough. He did give the Gun Vault a higher rating than others, but not the best. I have to say that I have owned a couple of Gun Vaults for several years and never had an issue. I also tried knocking on the front door of them both without them popping open, so something may have been wrong/damaged in the earlier video.

Top Bottom