Gunvault Nano200 - what does TSA approved mean?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    Hi all,

I'm currently shopping for a car vault that I can also use in my checked baggage for air travel. The LGS has the gunvault nano200, which appears to be exactly what I want except that I can't figure out what 'TSA approved' means. The guy behind the counter tells me it means that TSA master keys will work. I know I DON'T want this and had to leave before it turned into an air travel regulation argument.

What say you INGO? Anyone know if I would be the sole key holder or not?

If anyone knows quickly, that would be great as I'm taking the wife to the mall and we'll be in the vicinity of the LGS for awhile.

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    Correct, the lock should not be TSA style. I can't find any info on what type of lock this case has. If TSA approved just means "locking, hard sided" then we're good and I'll buy a pair.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    My opinion would be that "TSA Approved" in this case means that it's lockable and hard sided. It's relatively easy to see whether a lock is 'TSA-mastered' or not because it will typically have a combo + key hole (and doesn't come with a key) or two key holes (one for your key and a different odd one for the TSA master key). Even if it does have a TSA lock (not allowable per TSA regulations for firearm transport) you can probably adapt the box to add your own lock.

-Dobber

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    Thanks Dobber, good info there.

For the next guy who searches for this thread (LOL), I got an email reply from In Car Gun Lockers stating that their safes do not use the TSA lock. They cost a bit more than the Gunvaut, but I can get 2 safes keyed the same so I may have a winner here.

Top Bottom