Guy comes up and starts yelling " he has a gun!" what do you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I am surprised he asked you to cover it up. Most malls would ask you to leave or to take it to your car.

I find it curious that we gun owners are somehow responsible for their HOLOPHOBIA. Sufferers should seek treatment themselves, this is after all a mental illness.

Don't you mean HOPLOPHOBIA?
    HOLOPHOBIA is a fear of fire trucks.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I did have a convenience store clerk all but yell "Hey, you have a GUN!" after I paid and was on my way out. I just answered "Yep" and kept walking. Some folks just don't have a filter between their brain and their mouth. Anything that enters their head just immediately escapes.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    This is something that happened a few years ago to me and just wanted to get other peoples opinions on it.

So here's what went down, i was OC'ing at the mall in marion and got stopped by a salesperson handing out flyers. A couple seconds go by and this older guy walks up and starts saying to anybody he sees" That guy has a gun!" he started shouting it after a few people had taken notice aswell as pointing in my direction. He claimed there were signs on the doors and that it's illegal to carry a gun in public. I tried reasoning with him but that just made it worse. LUCKILY his wife drug him away and curiosity got the best of me, so while i was waiting for a friend in a store i strolled down to an entrance and spotted no signage. On my way back to the store i was stopped by security guard who demanded i conceal my weapon or leave the store.

This was the first and only confrontation i've ever had while carrying and i'd like to know what would you guys do in this situation? I just stayed calm and wound up complying with the security guards requests due to having to wait for said friend to get me home.
    I would have just said. "Yes sir I legally do. For my protection and yours if needed".
    IF it went farther I could have come up with a myriad of sayings and even a few quotes I"ve learned around here.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    There was nowhere stating that i could not carry or OC, so where's the line? is one person saying i can't OC enough to force me to do otherwise?

Store managers / security guards ect just want to keep the peace so people will keep buying their products. As such, if 1 person complains about anything, the manager is likely to cave simply to make that problem go away.

That's why you can get away with returning just about anything regardless of age or condition, and if you make a big stink you'll get your money back.

In your case, it was easier you ask you to untuck your shirt and cover it than it would be to calm down the irate patron.

No biggie imo.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is a heckler's veto. Do not let them intimidate you.

One simply points a finger at the heckler and moves away.

Happened to me standing in line at CVS. He was at the counter and looked back at me carrying a case of water.

Teeth Talker: "Hey, you gots a gun. Are you a cop?"

Me: *silence*

Teeth Talker: "Why come he gots a gun, he gots a gun, he gots a gun." He is jumping up and down at this point.

Me: pay for water, point at Teeth Talker and move around him out the door.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'd look at him like he's F**ing stupid because he is, and state with authority "ya, I do", then proceed about my business. It would be very hard not to be any more abrasive than that, I have little patience for stupidity of people inciting panic in others from nothing more than their own irrational stupidity and fears.

It's the equivalent to screaming in a panic because someone is wearing shoes.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    One dude did this to me in Gamestop, but he wasn't scared. He was loud and obnoxious, and getting everyone's attention, but it was moreso "don't shoot me bro! this guy has a gun! he's gonna rob the place!" as he laughed.

It was stupid, to say the least. I could only chuckle and continue my purchase.

Most recently, a Walmart cashier called the attention of her customers to me, saying how scared she was of me and how "scary" I was. It was more of a "close my eyes and wait for this idiot to stop talking" moment.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Well thats kinda like what happened to me, I was OCing at tacobell in greenwood, while i was standing in line a lady came up and tapped me on the shoulder, as i turned around she asked me 'Does carring a gun around in public make me feel all big and bad?!' I said 'no ma'am, im simply exercising my rights', and when i said that she went ballistic! thankfully and off duty GPD officer was in there and he pulled her outside and took care of it. :D

justknapping

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Nashville
    perhaps we should all start screaming loudly and pointing at people when they aren't carrying?? ahhh probably get ya carted off as quickly as any other response but... it might be fun.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    What are the odds that Ditto was there?

I am everywhere and nowhere.
    I may have given the older gentleman in question ten dollars to cause a scene.
    I may not have.
    I wish people would stop discussing my whereabouts on the internet.

One dude did this to me in Gamestop, but he wasn't scared. He was loud and obnoxious, and getting everyone's attention, but it was moreso "don't shoot me bro! this guy has a gun! he's gonna rob the place!" as he laughed.

It was stupid, to say the least. I could only chuckle and continue my purchase.

Most recently, a Walmart cashier called the attention of her customers to me, saying how scared she was of me and how "scary" I was. It was more of a "close my eyes and wait for this idiot to stop talking" moment.

This is something I think about/dread when I consider inching towards OC. I get queasy enough when people try talking to me about my tattoos.
    Actually maybe OCing would take care of that....

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    OP, my only suggestion should something like this happen again is if/when security shows up, calmly request that they remove the individual causing the disturbance to the peace--the idiot doing all the yelling.

If there's no security involved, then perhaps simply staring at the individual and laughing might work...with a little pointing thrown in just so they get the idea that only a fool would take them seriously as they have their hissyfit. Feel free to pause occasionally for breath so you don't laugh TOO hard if they actually wet themselves. :D

Just remember that if/when authorities show up, YOU want to be the one in obvious control of yourself and give them as good of an impression as you can--calm, collected, and with a touch of humor to contrast with the intellectually/emotionally out of control imbecile whose hysterics started the disturbance.
    :twocents:

Top Bottom