• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Greenfield, Indiana
    If we are to take baby steps at getting all of our rights back, I would amend the Hearing Protection Act to transfer the approval process of other NFA items to the FBI NICS instant check system.
    What does the NFA Branch do that makes their background check that much more superior than the FBI NICS instant check system. Must not be that much more extensive because when you purchase a suppressor or a factory SBR from a gun shop you still fill out a 4473 and they call the FBI NICS, I guess to make sure nothing has changed from the time that the ATF mailed out your approved form 4, till the time you are able to pick the NFA item up.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If we are to take baby steps at getting all of our rights back, I would amend the Hearing Protection Act to transfer the approval process of other NFA items to the FBI NICS instant check system.
    What does the NFA Branch do that makes their background check that much more superior than the FBI NICS instant check system. Must not be that much more extensive because when you purchase a suppressor or a factory SBR from a gun shop you still fill out a 4473 and they call the FBI NICS, I guess to make sure nothing has changed from the time that the ATF mailed out your approved form 4, till the time you are able to pick the NFA item up.

There's very few examiners for NFA forms, plus you mail your forms off to Atlanta and then they end up getting sent to West Virginia. Not a lot of examiners using an old and slow system and a new background check regardless of how many NFA items you own, if a lot of forms are submitted within a short time, the system gets bogged down

As for the 4473, yes, one is filled out, that's how the firearm (SBS, Machine gun, Silencer, SBR, AOW, etc.) gets logged out of the dealers books. It's how the dealer proves the person on the form 4 picked up that NFA item on that particular day. If they filed as an individual the dealer doesn't need to call the 4473 in since the background check has already been performed, there's a box on the form saying that it's a NFA item and no NICS check is required.

If you file under a trust (pre 41F) then a background check isn't technically done, it just transfers the item to the trust. So when you pick up your NFA item that's why the dealer has to call it in, it assures you're releasing the item to a "proper" person since the NFA branch didn't do a background check on the trust.

Post 41 trusts won't have to be called in because of the "responsible person questionnaire", since the responsible people on the trust have to submit passport photos and fingerprints a check can be performed on each individual person and cleared that way.

A NFA background check is more in depth since they can see exactly who you are and if your prints have ever came up in anything.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana

It's a silencer (suppressor, whatever :)).
    It doesn't do anything.
    It's not a firearm.
    It's not dangerous.
    Its a part, no different than an adjustable stock or a scope.
    There is no need for a background check at all.
    IMHO, that is.

I think that is already a baby step
    IMHO again.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    yup. I'm not cool. I call them silencers*, cause that's what they are legally, and per ol' Hiram.

*(or cans when I want to type fewer letters)

There may be other reasons I'm not cool, too....

-rvb

I wasn't cool, long before, it was cool, not to be cool .....

And I'm still not cool .....

Top Bottom