• ...and so much more!
  • Icemancometh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    SUNNY SIDE OF THE RIVER
    image.jpg

Snagged this big boy on Saturday evening at about 4:45. 12 pointer, 230 pounds field dressed. Had him weighed at the processor. 155 yard shot with my new Ruger American Ranch in .223. I felt way under gunned when I saw him. I wished I had grabbed the .270 instead. He ran a 40 yard circle and dropped. Front shoulder was broken, lungs like goo and a hole in his heart.

image.jpg

My 16 y/o son got this 8 pointer Sunday morning at 7:10. About 100 yard shot with my .270. He made it about 30 yards, which is surprising since his heart was blown in half.

image.jpg

Oldest son snagged this doe on Sunday night. She dropped in her tracks. He was also using the .

image.jpg

Icemancometh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    SUNNY SIDE OF THE RIVER
    No pass through. Internal damage was surprising considering it was a .223 soft point. He flinched when I shot so I was pretty sure I hit him. When there was no blood where he was standing I began to have my doubts. I began walking the direction he went and found him a few minutes later.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    That's a fruitful weekend! Something that the .223 soft point put a big buck like that down at 155 yds after going through a shoulder.
    Congratulations! Hope to baptize my Ruger American .30-06 this weekend.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    No pass through. Internal damage was surprising considering it was a .223 soft point. He flinched when I shot so I was pretty sure I hit him. When there was no blood where he was standing I began to have my doubts. I began walking the direction he went and found him a few minutes later.
    I shot a good number of deer with 223 growing up, probably between, 6-12. They very seldom exited, usually the remnants of the slug were lodged against the far rib cage. None were huge deer, but none went more than 70 yards and I never lost one. With good placement, it works fine IMO.

Icemancometh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    SUNNY SIDE OF THE RIVER
    I shot a good number of deer with 223 growing up, probably between, 6-12. They very seldom exited, usually the remnants of the slug were lodged against the far rib cage. None were huge deer, but none went more than 70 yards and I never lost one. With good placement, it works fine IMO.

I got the 223 mainly for coyotes but also had the thought of bagging a smaller doe with it. I was hesitant to try it on that buck. I had never laid eyes on him before so it was truly a surprise when he walked out.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    77gr SMK/CC work very well on deer; they don't expand like a soft point or bonded bullet but penetrate a bit before tumbling and fragmenting, often allowing for a (large) exit wound. After having shot KY deer with a 223AI and 80gr Amax and a FrankenSPR with 77gr CC I'd not have hesitated to make the same shot as OP.

Top Bottom