• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    So I had a little accident Monday, as many of you know I'm currently deployed to Southeast Afghanistan. Long story short, while on patrol monday, I stepped on an Anti-personnel mine. My foot is blown off from about the ankle down. I still have my complete tibia and fibula, but that's about it. I have schrapnel peppering my right thigh, forearm, and my belly. But for the most part they didn't even require stitches and are entirely superficial.There are also no concerns about TBI or concussions as of yet. I got extremely lucky, there were three (totalling at least 30lbs) jugs of home made exposives connected to the mine with det cord that did not go off. I would have surely died, as well as the 2 other people that got minor injuries with me. One got some schrapnel in the back of his knee, the other got a piece on his face next to his eye. I was in Kandahar province, flew on a blackhawk to Kandahar Airfield, flew from there to Bagram Airfield, then on Landstuhl Regional Medical Center In Rammstein, Germany where I'm currently waiting for a ride to Walter Reed Mecical Center in Washington D.C. I was actually loaded up into a bird about 9 hours ago. but they scratched it due to the ash in the air from the volcano in Iceland. I originally thought was a joke... because really, a volcano, in Iceland? :dunno: I'll be stuck at Walter Reed for 3-6 months for surgery and physical therapy.

Anyways, I'm doin fine, feel great because all of the groovy pain meds. I was hobblin around on crutches about 50hrs after the incident and i'm doing great on them according to the docs. Already starting on a little physical therapy to include the crutches and working out my injured leg to keep it strong. Don't want to get weak before I get my prothetics or it will be more of a battle than the one I will already be fighting. I'm not posting looking for a bunch of sypmathy. I really am fine, I justed wanted to share what's going on. :patriot:

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Dude.............truely and honestly, I am sorry to hear about this. Sounds like you are doing good under the circumstances and that alone is to be commended. It does sound as if you are extremley lucky to be alive........do they have a lottery over there?

I would like to personally thank you for your service and sacrafice. Please keep us informed as to your progress and recovery.

:patriot:

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I am truly sorry to hear about your accident .The plus side is that youre alive & doing well .We often take for granted our armed forces personnel that are serving our country & what sacrifices are made on their part.Someone is watching over you soldier ,when you get back I'll gladly buy you a round (Ammo or beer your choice) get well & good luck to you,we'll be waiting

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Wow, thank you for your service and the sacrifice you made, we all appreciate it very much.

Although it wasn't the ultimate sacrifice, that is still a huge sacrifice to make for us.

Prayers sent your way; we all hope for a speedy recovery and hopefully you'll be well taken care of by those around you.

Let us know if you need anything.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Prayers coming your way. Sorry about your situation. Thanks for your service. Keep us informed how it is going and if there is anything we can do for you.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Damn......Sorry to hear that. Glad you didn't get hurt worse.
    Thanks for everything you and your brothers and sisters are doing over there.
    Prayers going out to you all.:patriot:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I admire your courage and mindset over your incident. I wish you well and you are in my prayers. Thank you for your service and best of luck with your future endeavors. I am sure you will do well with your great courage and positive outlook on life.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    What an experience! Thanks for sharing your life and your pain with us. You have been through much and we thank you for that. Very glad to have your acquaintance sir.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Kinda makes missing the filing deadline seem small in comparison huh. Sorry for you injury. Thanks for your service. Must ne hard watching where you step while scanning for bad guys. Get well soon.

man, i thought i had a bad week.

thanks

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    VA and your benefits!

You automatically qualify for 10%, and most likely upwards of 30% right off the bat. Keep very, very close watch on your medical records, and do not hesitate to get into the VA system immediately if not sooner, you will have all kinds of medical benefits, educational benefits, family benefits, coming that you may or may not be aware of at this particular point in your life. When [and if] you are going to be discharged on a medical, insist on that new one on one consultation rule, and don't hold back one thing regardless of what they say. That TBI thing might not show up today, next week, next month, next year, the next ten years, keep in on the back burner for your own cushion, you've earned it the hard way. Watch out for the trick questions regarding PTSD also, may or may not affect your ability in the future to pass a NICS criteria.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom