• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swilk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    I wonder what a third person in that situation would think ...... who would he be more concerned with?

The guy sitting in a running car, in the parking lot after closing time, window cracked and weapon drawn?

Or the woman who walked across a street, tried the door of the restaurant and after finding it locked, sits down on a bench.

Tacticool

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    This happened to me once. Except there were 2 dirtbags instead of just 1.

I was minding my own business, open carrying my Angel of Death Super Custom 1911 Operator in a monkey skin crossdraw rig, approaching the entrance of my local grocery store. I noticed 2 younger females wearing strange green outfits, barricaded behind a table in front of the entrance. I could feel goose bumps as I approached, and just for safety, I reached down and thumbed off the safety of my Operator and patted my crotch to make sure that my backup gun (a S&W .44 mag snub with Punisher grips) was secure in my Smart Carry holster.

That's when it happened. One of the suspects actually spoke to me! I couldn't tell what she was saying, but it was probably some liberal nonsense. My spidey sense was tingling too loudly. Something about thin mint cookies, which is probably Demoncrat code for welfare. I quickly checked my six, then did an about face and tactical roll before high-tailing it to my SHTF vehicle. Thank Jesus that I had my bug-out bag that day, my FN SCAR heavy at the ready in case these 2 gave pursuit. I found a rural bridge and stayed under it for 3 days, surviving mostly on crawdads once my 2 day supply of MREs ran out.

When I finally was able to make it home, my family insisted that I seek treatment for PTSD. I'm still not 100%, and sometimes wake up screaming, but the fear subsides a little every day.

I pray that this never happens to you again, friend. You are lucky to be alive.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I wonder what a third person in that situation would think ...... who would he be more concerned with?

The guy sitting in a running car, in the parking lot after closing time, window cracked and weapon drawn?

Or the woman who walked across a street, tried the door of the restaurant and after finding it locked, sits down on a bench.

may be another reason to consider calling police, that way you're on record as concerned citizen vs potential armed robber. "I'm in my car waiting to pick up my daughter. This woman is making everyone uncomfortable. I have a license to carry and am armed, but would of course very much prefer to avoid any confrontation. The employees are staying in the restraunt and I'm staying in my car while she is here."

Given how the Zimmerman situation played out legally, having these types of statements on a 911 recording could prove beneficial ..... That's part of the big issue, right? was he doing what he could to avoid confrontation? The 911 recordings aren't clear.

there never is a perfect answer.

worst case is the police arrive, ask the woman her business there, she gives some good answer like "I was meeting my friends here for dinner and thought they were open later. I sat down to call them to make other plans. I didn't mean to make anyone nervous." Everyone walks away, officer goes to his next call, you never knowing what was really going on ...

-rvb

Last edited:

swilk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Call the police and report "woman on a bench" and yet we *****, moan and complain watching videos of LEO's responding to "man with gun" calls .....

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Call the police and report "woman on a bench" and yet we *****, moan and complain watching videos of LEO's responding to "man with gun" calls .....

Well, "we" isn't all inclusive because I don't think that's a big deal or to be unexpected if "we" open carry. "We" have many great debates about legality of carry in different situations, "we" can't expect non-gun-people to know the law. Again in that case, police come, ask a couple questions, everyone goes about their day.

"We" also talk about avoiding confrontation and use of the gun as a last resort. Waiting it out or calling the police both accomplish that goal. The poster's way of handing it worked out, so it's hard to say he did anything wrong. I wasn't there, it wasn't my spidey senses tingling, so I'm just offering some points to consider.

again, there is no perfect answer (but there are some flat wrong answers!)

-rvb

swilk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Perhaps both should have called the police .... the woman could have reported the man and the man could have reported the woman.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    So the OP pulls his weapon and puts it on his lap while seated in his vehicle, what did he do wrong again?

Never said he drew it, pointed it, showed it, etc...

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana

Well lets see, unless you looked right into my window one would never have known I was holding a weapon. My vehicle is seen in the parking lot almost daily to pick up my daughter. I know the owner of the restaurant personally along with all the kiddos that happened to be working that evening along with a couple of their parents. As for the woman, she was completely disheveled and was obviously a "street person" The woman did walk around the building and was hanging around the back door and ran off as soon as she just saw my drive around the building.

Gunner

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana

And that my friend is the reason that I didnt call the police since she didnt break any laws that I was aware of just by checking the door, finding it locked then sitting down at the picnic table. I found out later on here that she did break the law by panhandling after dark, but after I told her no, she didnt ask anymore, and basically got up and walked away, to the back of the building, but still nothing illegal, just suspicious.

Gunner

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    So the OP pulls his weapon and puts it on his lap while seated in his vehicle, what did he do wrong again?

Never said he drew it, pointed it, showed it, etc...

Never pulled it on anyone, showed it to anyone, or drew down on anyone, the only person to even see the weapon was my daughter after she got in my car and asked why my pistol was in my lap. Heck every time I go to the ATM, which is very infrequently, but some times I just have to, I have my pistol in my lap while I am conducting my business. I also ensure to have my ATM card at the ready, and get in and get out as quickly as possible as I hate the damn ATM machines, and when I say quickly, I mean as soon as I am finished I am rolling out. I also keep a pretty good distance between myself and another car if someone is at the ATM ahead of me, just in case I need to make a hasty exit.

Gunner

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    This is how people get hurt. Once a bit of adrenaline kicks in and you give most of your attention to a potential threat your gun handling skills will diminish.

I recommend practicing the draw over and over in your own vehicle. Once you practice enough it takes less attention to maintain good gun handling skills.

Whatever you choose to do you need to practice it often!! Like every week. Blue guns are great for this.

I like to leave my sidearm in it's holster until it's needed. It stays in one place and one place only. If you have your sidearm out (while in a vehicle) and get rear-ended or need to drive away NOW are you going to take time to put it away? Will it fall under the seat or will you set it down somewhere? Will you be able to find it when needed? You will be surprised what you do when the adrenaline is flowing. I've seen people do some odd things that they would have sworn they would never do.

I have to completely agree with you, my automobile carry, unholster, aim, and fire is something that I have very little training in doing. I guess I have gotten kind of complacent and need more training.

Gunner

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I also keep a pretty good distance between myself and another car if someone is at the ATM ahead of me, just in case I need to make a hasty exit.

Gunner

That is a skill I learned when I lived and worked in and near Detroit ( The D for you hepcats...)

I was taught to do this at all traffic control devices as well. The secondary use (other than escape) was to be able to run over your would-be carjacker if you had to.:draw:

As for your original posting, I think you did what was right for you and it was reasonable. I may have done the same or I may have just held my hand in my pocket as I carry the same thing you mentioned. The dreaded p3at. Been flawless so far:D

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    This happened to me once. Except there were 2 dirtbags instead of just 1.

I was minding my own business, open carrying my Angel of Death Super Custom 1911 Operator in a monkey skin crossdraw rig, approaching the entrance of my local grocery store. I noticed 2 younger females wearing strange green outfits, barricaded behind a table in front of the entrance. I could feel goose bumps as I approached, and just for safety, I reached down and thumbed off the safety of my Operator and patted my crotch to make sure that my backup gun (a S&W .44 mag snub with Punisher grips) was secure in my Smart Carry holster.

That's when it happened. One of the suspects actually spoke to me! I couldn't tell what she was saying, but it was probably some liberal nonsense. My spidey sense was tingling too loudly. Something about thin mint cookies, which is probably Demoncrat code for welfare. I quickly checked my six, then did an about face and tactical roll before high-tailing it to my SHTF vehicle. Thank Jesus that I had my bug-out bag that day, my FN SCAR heavy at the ready in case these 2 gave pursuit. I found a rural bridge and stayed under it for 3 days, surviving mostly on crawdads once my 2 day supply of MREs ran out.

When I finally was able to make it home, my family insisted that I seek treatment for PTSD. I'm still not 100%, and sometimes wake up screaming, but the fear subsides a little every day.

I pray that this never happens to you again, friend. You are lucky to be alive.

Gecko.....? Is that you??????

BTW: Best schill account post in a while.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    That is a skill I learned when I lived and worked in and near Detroit ( The D for you hepcats...)

I was taught to do this at all traffic control devices as well. The secondary use ( other than escape) was to be able to run over your would-be carjacker if you had to. :ar15:

As for your original posting, I think you did what was right for you and it was reasonable. I may have done the same or I may have just held my hand in my pocket as I carry the same thing you mentioned. The dreaded p3at. Been flawless so far:D

Someone mentioned they wouldnt bet their life on a P3AT. Well I can tell you this, I have NEVER and I mean NEVER had a failure to fire, failure to feed, failure to eject, stovepipe, NOTHING, I have pulled off 7 rounds as fast as my fingers could squeeze the trigger and never had a problem. I have put probably 3000 rounds thru this weapon and it never fails to perform flawlessly. I understand that a .380 is a pretty weak round, but I figure that other than in extreme circumstances, someone gets hit with a .380 they are going to stop advancing on you. Anyway just my 2 cents about my P3AT. OH and for the record, I do carry my S/W 4042 as my primary weapon with my P3AT as a backup, but that particular evening because of my attire, I only had my P3AT.

Gunner

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County

:yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You shouldn't unholster your sidearm until you need it. If you're worried about drawing quickly I highly recommend practice.

My sidearm is never in the holster while I am in my truck. It has a place thats easy access in the console of the van. I have put it in my lap on so many occasions as the OP describes when out late on refrigeration service calls in area most will not go in daylight hours.
    Drawing a weapon while seated in a vehicle is in and of itself dangerous.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

You agree with that statement. How would anyone know his pistol was drawn. Really, how.
    If he regularly picks up his daughter at that hour he is a....wait for it....regular.
    The wayward female was the one acting Hinky not Dad. Dad was SA of someone that was not right.

How much experience of this nature have you folks actually had....first hand not watching TV or playing video games.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Someone mentioned they wouldnt bet their life on a P3AT. Well I can tell you this, I have NEVER and I mean NEVER had a failure to fire, failure to feed, failure to eject, stovepipe, NOTHING, I have pulled off 7 rounds as fast as my fingers could squeeze the trigger and never had a problem. I have put probably 3000 rounds thru this weapon and it never fails to perform flawlessly. I understand that a .380 is a pretty weak round, but I figure that other than in extreme circumstances, someone gets hit with a .380 they are going to stop advancing on you. Anyway just my 2 cents about my P3AT. OH and for the record, I do carry my S/W 4042 as my primary weapon with my P3AT as a backup, but that particular evening because of my attire, I only had my P3AT.

Gunner

P3AT's get snobbed on a lot. A lot of LEO have relied on them and the Kel-tec P32 ( or whatever it's called) as a back-up.
    Hell Ruger actually PAID to use the P3AT design for the LCP. I trust my life to it when it's over 60 degrees.....I would assume a .380 to the chest would ruin some attacker's day.

As for the schill accounts, those and parody threads pop up on INGO from time to time. Some are classic.

Do an INGO search for Taco Bell drive thru

Also Google Gecko/Mall Ninja if you are unfamiliar with . It's an old one but a good one. Kinda like the old Deer 911 call...

Top Bottom