• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    A good ending to a Halloween event that will take longer to type out here than it took to play out in real life.

Saturday night and my son is off to a Halloween party and sleep over. I'm no expecting any trick or treaters because I live on a quiet cul-de-sac with just my house and one other, no street lights, and sidewalks end before the cul-de-sac. Did not have any kids come by last year, either. There are plenty of kids in the neighborhood, but most of the Halloween action takes place in other parts of the neighborhood.

It's about 8:30 and Halloween is over for most kids. I'm in my bedroom and I hear a noise through my west wall. There are no windows on that wall and the west end of my house is the darkest end. I do have a known raccoon that traverses my roof every night about this time, but this noise was definitely not him and not on the roof. The only way to get to this area of my back yard is to climb a fence somewhere.

So, I head up to the other end of the house and into the kitchen, and I can see even out in the dark that there is an unrecognized car parked on the cul-de-sac right smack in front of my house. Neighbor's across the way are not home and their house is dark. Now I'm putting the noise I heard and the strange car together, so I flip on my porch light. Nothing stirs outside, so I head back toward my bedroom - have a light switch at that end of the hall that flips on three floodlights outside that pretty much light up my yard, front and back.

I don't normally carry inside my house for extended periods, and wasn't carrying then, but I did pick up my Zastava M57. I head back to the kitchen to check out that car again, and that car is gone. I did a walk around inside the house looking out all the windows and checking locks, cut off the lights, did another walk around...but thankfully nothing going on. I must have spooked whomever was in that car, and I'm guessing at this point it may have just been a couple of teenagers making out. Don't know what that noise was, probably coincidental.

So much ado about nothing I guess, but it got my hackles up. The next day I did a walk around outside the house but didn't see anything unusual.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    It's good to have your head in the game as opposed to ignoring red flags. Glad all was well, good to see you aware. At least "condition yellow" all the time.

Top Bottom