• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I've got a Snapper snow blower up for sale and just got a call on it a bit ago. I tried using it a couple of weeks ago with some bad gas in it, and it kept dying on me. Plus the fact I found out I shouldn't try running one of these again as it put a lot of cardiac stress on me. So before I called the person back, I went out and started it up. I know it's got some old gas in it, so I filled it up with some good stuff. It starts and runs. But it stopped running several times, sometimes when I pushed into some snow. Other times it would die if I tipped it back a few inches.

Is all this because of the old gas? I figure the tank has a bit better than half old gas to the new gas. I tried just letting it sit and fun, but it would take a long time to run the tank dry. And, I have no way to drain the the gas other than turning it over on its side, and I don't think the apartment complex owners would appreciate me doing that.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Either be willing to take a hit on the sale price, or correct the issue. I usually deal with a lot of friend's small engines in the spring. Usually, they didn't stabilize the fuel and it's gummed up the works. If it's not too bad, you might get lucky and mix some Seafoam or Gumout in with the fuel and just run it. After about an hour, it should have worked itself out. If that doesn't cut it, you'll have to clean out the carb.... or leave it to the buyer.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    If the gas is bad, it is very possible that the carburetor has sticky gunk that looks like varnish built up in it.
    To run right, a complete carb cleaning is in order.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    I buy a can of pure gas each fall to use in my blowers. No ethanol in it, just gas. If you add some stabilizer to that stuff, it seems to remain good for a long time. You may have to search a little to find a station that sells it, but pure-gas.org is a pretty good resource to see if there are any near you.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Try new fuel, but the issue with old fuel is it turns into something like varnish and plugs up all those tiny tubes and whatnot, particularly in the carburetor. Solvents can save it to a point; I've actually had success with starting fluid (diethyl ether or dimethyl ether) but sometimes, yeah, you're just going to have to take it apart and clean the bits personally. Either do it yourself or negotiate a price he's willing to do it for.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Thanks for the help guys.

I just remembered I forgot to mention this is a 2-cycle engine. I siphoned the fuel out of the tank and poured in some that was in the gas can in the trunk of my car. It starts, runs for a couple of minutes, then dies just like you turned the key off. I bought the gas in the can in early December. It's been closed and in the trunk of my car since then. This makes it almost three months old now. Is this too old to use?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I hope that can had some 2 cycle oil in it! If not, QUIT running it! If so, your carb needs cleaned and or rebuilt. 75$ plus parts or so at any mower shop.

If not, you now need rings and possibly a cylinder from straight gassing it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, if it's 2 cycle, you need the oil mixed in, or if you run it much it'll seize up. I keep a gas can of mixed along with a couple full of regular. Three months shouldn't be too long, though, heck, my Mustang has gas that old in it. I don't wind up driving that much :)

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I hope that can had some 2 cycle oil in it! If not, QUIT running it! If so, your carb needs cleaned and or rebuilt. 75$ plus parts or so at any mower shop.

Yes. It had 2-cycle oil mixed in the gas. I just spoke to the Snapper mechanic and was told the old gas has probably corroded and clogged up the carb and this
    is the reason it quits running after a couple of minutes. If the person that called earlier calls me back (just called him and go no answer) I'll tell him I was asking $275, but will take $150 and he can fix it, or have it fixed. At this point, I just want to get rid of the damn thing.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County

It is a Snapper SX5200E -- 5hp - 20" width

The only thing I can see of the engine is the exhaust pipe and the gas tank. Everything else is completely enclosed.
    It has died just sitting still. It had died if I tipped it back a little bit. It had died when I engage the auger. It has died when running it into some snow.

If the guy that called wants it to work on it, or take it to a shop, I'll make him a good deal just to get rid of it.

Top Bottom