in getting their FCC license for Amateur Radio, this would be a great
    place for them to start.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    This is a great class by a great group of guys. I did the February class took the test the same day and passed.
    I got my call sign about 2 weeks later, then applied for my vanity call( letters I choose) about two weeks after that.

You can get the book( 25.00), take the class 8hrs( Free), take the test (15.00) and buy a inexpensive hand held radio 50.00. So for well under a 100.00 you have a 10 year hobby paid in full.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    You can get the book( 25.00), take the class 8hrs( Free)ou have a 10 year hobby, take the test (15.00) and buy a inexpensive hand held radio 50.00. So for well under a 100.00 you have a 10 year hobby paid in full.

^^^ Exactly what I did. Take a class and you won't have any trouble with the Tech test.

GaryErrol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    Hi, my first post. It looks like I'll be taking the class and exam in Franklin in August. I've had a GMRS license for close to 15 years but have resisted getting a ham one because I really didn't have anyone else to talk to. I'm not into just chatting to chat. However in the last couple of years it keeps coming up and probably at some point our group is going to want most members to get a ham license so I think I'll be ahead of the game a bit. Also, I just purchased a Baofeng UV-5R radio and that has sparked my interest a bit more.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'm signed up. Looking forward to it, should be interesting. Not to mention useful. Now, whats a good low end starter radio?

It depends on what you want to do with it.

CW? Digital Modes on HF? Ragchewing with the locals? Tracking? Participating in Emergency Communications? Becoming a Skywarn Spotter? The list goes on.

Tell a little about what you think your interest in amateur radio will be once you get your ticket (license).

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I'm signed up. Looking forward to it, should be interesting. Not to mention useful. Now, whats a good low end starter radio?

Many people start with 2 meter. It is the least expensive band to get started with in most cases. Do an internet search for 2 meter ham repeaters in your general area. If you have repeaters within 5-10 miles you can likely start with a 5 watt HT (handy talkie) and do very well. The cheaper imported versions of these with 5 watts of output can be had for less than $100.00. I strongly recommend getting a unit that comes with a programming cable, and software. Some hams dislike the imports. I have a couple, and I have had excellent results. I paid a little more than low end for them, but they work great. There are also ham swap sites where you can buy good used equipment at reasonable prices. Most hams are pretty reputable, but just like anything else, do your homework. There are sites that will allow you to read reviews of most equipment, and there are sites that will allow you to check a ham's reputation in transactions.

Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    This is a great class by a great group of guys. I did the February class took the test the same day and passed.
    I got my call sign about 2 weeks later, then applied for my vanity call( letters I choose) about two weeks after that.

You can get the book( 25.00), take the class 8hrs( Free), take the test (15.00) and buy a inexpensive hand held radio 50.00. So for well under a 100.00 you have a 10 year hobby paid in full.
    I'll be taking this class in August, already studying, What radio can I get for $50? Not sure that my budget will be that low, but it is nice to know that I can get started cheap.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    You can pick up a 2 watt Baeofong portable for around $50.00 on ebay. Whether 2 watts is going to get you into your local repeater, I cant say. On a good day I can get into repeaters about 15 miles away with my 5 watt HT.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I would not buy the Baeofong; they are a piece of junk; for about $125 (or less) you can get a basic 2-meter hand-held (5 watt) from one of the major vendors (Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood or Alinco). -- Greg

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Keep in mind that the name on the product doesn't necessarily make it better, just more expensive. I agree that the Baeofong radios are not the greatest, but you usually get what you pay for. I bought a couple of the Wouxun HT's and was pleasantly surprised. I found them to be an excellent value. Something to look into also.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I would not buy the Baeofong; they are a piece of junk; for about $125 (or less) you can get a basic 2-meter hand-held (5 watt) from one of the major vendors (Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood or Alinco). -- Greg

Especially when you can get a rock solid dual band like the Yaesu FT 60R for about $150

Top Bottom