• ...and so much more!
  • Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Any & All -- I received this from my EMA Director. -- Greg/Grizhicks

This may be a bit early but I wanted to bring everyone up to speed on our plans to sponsor a one-day Technician License Class on Saturday February 9, 2013. If you know of someone who is interested in taking the class refer them to secretary@midstatehams.org/.

Seating will be limited to 25 students so they shouldregister early to insure a spot. We require all students to purchase the Technician Class License Manual, Second Edition. http://www.arrl.org/shop/Ham-Radio-License-Manual-Revised-2nd-Edition/?page=1

The class will be nine hours of instruction with testing to follow. The class begins promptly at 8AM in our meeting room at the Johnson County EOC.

Thanks for your help in passing the word.

Jack W8ISH
    Class Coordinator

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    This is a great class! I took one this past summer, fast paced with a lot of info. I took the test at the end of the class and passed. If you want to get into HAM radio this is a great way to get started.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    I too can offer support for this class, I took it last Feb and it was great. Everyone was very nice and supportive. I would recomend it to anyone looking to get their ticket.
    N9DUC

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    I've seen quite a few places that have technician classes, but never for general or extra. Do you or anyone you know offer those classes?

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    straid -- I have posted a couple of General clasees over the past year or so, but they are far & few between. I really think that once you get thru the Tech class, you'll have a much better idea of what to study for, and there are lots of on-line test & study aids. Good Luck, Greg

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I used Hamtestonline and studied my ass off and passed both Tech and General at the same time. Those of you who are electrically inclined can do it, too.

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    straid -- I have posted a couple of General clasees over the past year or so, but they are far & few between. I really think that once you get thru the Tech class, you'll have a much better idea of what to study for, and there are lots of on-line test & study aids. Good Luck, Greg
    Already got my tech license a couple years back. The general is more technical and although I'm positive I could study and memorize the answers, I'm looking to actually learn the more technical aspects of radios. I've been to a few ham meetings in a few different places over the years and have found there is a distinct lack of radio science. It's typically an older crowd that focuses on the farthest they've talked to other hams.

Maybe the shift has focused or there is a decreasing interest in ham, but I'd be interested to learn more that aspect, which I suppose puts me in the minority. Memorizing the answers just to pass doesn't move me any further to knowing what the answers mean.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Already got my tech license a couple years back. The general is more technical and although I'm positive I could study and memorize the answers, I'm looking to actually learn the more technical aspects of radios. I've been to a few ham meetings in a few different places over the years and have found there is a distinct lack of radio science. It's typically an older crowd that focuses on the farthest they've talked to other hams.

Maybe the shift has focused or there is a decreasing interest in ham, but I'd be interested to learn more that aspect, which I suppose puts me in the minority. Memorizing the answers just to pass doesn't move me any further to knowing what the answers mean.

If you are wanting to learn more about the science of radio, I would urge you to learn CW and start building your own QRP CW transmitters, receivers, and transceivers. You'll learn more in a year of doing that than any class you can take. The QRP clubs are full of smart guys willing to share what they know.

I built my first CW transceiver in 1998, it was a kit called the Norcal 40A, output was 1 watt, CW only, and had one of the best receivers available at the time. I worked all 50 states with it in 1999 and I learned a lot about receivers, transmitters, antennas, radio wave propagation, and how to operate in all kinds of conditions. QRP gear is usually small and portable so I spent a lot of time with that radio in my tent.

Good luck!

Top Bottom