• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm always a little leery when Sheriffs do things in the name of safety that it may take some political turn. Anyone know anything about this?

Community: Public Education Forum on Firearms Safety Scheduled for January 16, 7-8pm, at Hamilton County 4H Fairgrounds

Public Education Forum – Firearms Safety

On Thursday, January 16, 2014, Hamilton County Sheriff Mark Bowen invites area residents to participate in a public education forum on Firearms Safety. This special meeting, to be held at the Hamilton County 4H Fairgrounds from 7:00-8:00pm, will focus on what gun owners can do to promote responsible weapon ownership. Led by Indiana Law Enforcement Training Board certified instructors and Sheriff’s Office deputies, participants will come away with practical ideas and suggestions on how to increase safety around firearms.

Hamilton County has recently experienced the loss of two of its citizens due to incidents with charges of reckless homicide involving firearms. Gun ownership has steadily increased with over 450 permits issued each year in 2012 and 2013 by the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office alone. Recent estimates put gun ownership at more than 30% of the population across the country. With the increase in gun ownership comes an increased chance of negligent discharges or accidents with firearms. In 2010, there were over 15,000 people injured and 600 deaths due to firearms related accidents in the United States. Research shows that half of gun-owning households do not lock up their guns. Many, if not most, of these tragic incidents could be prevented with education and practice in safety and responsibility.

There is no cost to attend the forum and no registration is required. The forum is designed for ages junior high school through adult. Free child care will be provided for pre-school and elementary age children. Free gun locks will be distributed while supplies last. Vendors will be available to show a variety of firearms safety products and classes. This is not a shooting course and firearms should not be brought to the meeting.

Admin: (317)773-1872
    Dispatch: (317)773-1282
    Web: Hamilton County, Indiana / Sheriff's Office
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hamilton-County-Sheriffs-Office-Indiana/165528786839890

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    It just came across my Facebook feed. I may go, even if just to get a better read on the current state of the Hamilton County Sheriff's office re: armed citizens.

noname1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    I wouldn't read anything into it beyond what is written. They just want to help people less knowledgeable and experience than those on this form understand the fundamentals of firearms safety so teenage girls are not getting shot and killed by negligent gun handling.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Seems like they are just trying to keep stupid people from doing stupid things. I don't see anything wrong with the sheriff wanting to nip some problems in the bud, hopefully they keep it as objective as possible and don't fill the sheeples' heads with misinformation. Misinformation such as "always make sure you tell your neighborhood policeman you have a gun on you and let him take control of it for everyone's safety!" ...stuff like that.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Seems like they are just trying to keep stupid people from doing stupid things. I don't see anything wrong with the sheriff wanting to nip some problems in the bud, hopefully they keep it as objective as possible and don't fill the sheeples' heads with misinformation. Misinformation such as "always make sure you tell your neighborhood policeman you have a gun on you and let him take control of it for everyone's safety!" ...stuff like that.
    Agreed 100%.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've never met the Hamilton Co Sheriff, but I know one of his deputies. I think his personal opinions about private firearm ownership will probably decide how much this is about actual risk management and how much is about politics.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    would I be correct in assuming that the majority of folks who would show up to something like that would probably be on the responsible side of gun ownership to begin with?

Polished515

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Muncie
    I used to live in HC and know several law officers in the area. From what I can tell the recklessness has a lot of people up in arms. I think they really just want to focus attention on how important it is to make sure your firearms cannot be obtained by your children. Kudos to them for taking a step in the right direction. It is unfortunate that people are so shortsighted that they can't see the issue with leaving loaded firearms laying around the house. It takes seconds to remove a chambered round and place your firearm in a safe spot.
    I would like to hear what is said at this meeting if I don't get the chance to go myself.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    There have been alot of young children getting shot in the Indy area lately,sounds like a good idea!

Unfortunately the people that need to attend probably won't.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm always a little leery when Sheriffs do things in the name of safety that it may take some political turn. Anyone know anything about this?

True, but I see it as an opportunity to turn the guns of the enemy against them.

Ideas for gun safety? Oh, yeah, I got a few.:D

1. Ask that the Hamilton County Sheriff publicly support tax deductions (above the line) for gun safes.

2. Ask that the Hamilton County Sheriff publicly support tax deductions (above the line) for gun safety/firearms classes.

3. Mandatory firearms training classes throughout elementary, junior high/middle school and high school.

4. Requiring firearms proficiency testing before graduation of high school.

5. Have him publicly support making expenses for gun school, ammunition, tuition, travel, lodging, inter alia tax deductible (above the line).

6. Demand that he open the Hamilton County range to the public, especially children, to practice safe gun handling. Costs of ammunition, firearms, insurance will be borne by the Hamilton County Sheriff.

Politicians like to think that they make a better world by running their yaps and having people look at them. Stick them where they hurt--in the wallet. Hit the public coffers with their own words. Have him share his own toys. He will shut up PDQ.

Last edited:

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I am all for safety training. A lot of people who have guns know nothing about them and need such training. We all have responsibility to promote gun safety. I am not saying it should be required, but it should be available and encouraged.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    True, but I see it as an opportunity to turn the guns of the enemy against them.

1. Ask that the Hamilton County Sheriff publicly support tax deductions (above the line) for gun safes.

2. Ask that the Hamilton County Sheriff publicly support tax deductions (above the line) for gun safety/firearms classes.

3. Mandatory firearms training classes throughout elementary, junior high/middle school and high school.

5. Have him publicly support making expenses for gun school, ammunition, tuition, travel, lodging, inter alia tax deductible (above the line).

6. Demand that he open the Hamilton County range to the public, especially children, to practice safe gun handling. Costs of ammunition, firearms, insurance will be borne by the Hamilton County Sheriff.

Politicians like to think that they make a better world by running their yaps and having people look at them. Stick them where they hurt--in the wallet. Hit the public coffers with their own words. Have him share his own toys. He will shut up PDQ.

I like the way you think and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :D

Good ideas.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Vendors will be available to show a variety of firearms safety products and classes.

I'm willing to give the sheriff the benefit of the doubt until he proves it isn't warranted. I like this part. Hopefully, some will come out of the presentation motivated to get some real training beyond whatever the safety talk will provide.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Great list, and it's pretty presumptuous that they think they are the all knowing trainers/experts on this issue. If you look at some of the public health research (I know, I know) LE and those in the medical field aren't any better at storing their guns safely than anybody else.

Top Bottom