• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmusall

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Thought you guys would like to hear Sheriff Bowen's 2nd amendment position. Let him know you stand with him. His email: Mark.Bowen@hamiltoncounty.in.gov

Dear Sheriff Bowen,

Many sheriffs across this country are standing up and voicing their support for the 2nd amendment. They're letting Washington know that they won't enforce unconstitutional gun laws. I would like to encourage you to do the same. What is your position on this vitally important issue?

Sincerely,
    Todd Musall

His response (posted with his permission)

Todd,

As I am sure you can imagine, I have had an overwhelming number of e-mails, letters and phone calls regarding the gun control legislation being pushed at the Federal level and I have tried to respond to each one individually.

I have been following the issues very closely and am disturbed by the way the Federal Government has chosen to address them. I firmly believe that guns are not the issue it is people that are the issue. The overwhelming majority of United States citizens and especially the citizens in Hamilton County Indiana are law abiding citizens and their rights to protect and defend themselves shall not be infringed upon.

I fully support the Constitution of the United States and stand strong with my fellow Sheriffs in protecting the Constitution including our Second amendment right to bear arms!

Respectfully,

Mark

Mark J. Bowen, Sheriff
    Hamilton County Sheriff's Office
    18100 Cumberland Rd.
    Noblesville, IN 46060
    317-773-1872

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Awesome! I can tell you that the Boone County Sheriff, Ken Campbell, is also a huge proponent of the 2A. He is also a top tier firearms instructor.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Thats sweet.... I also heard franklin county passed the something stating they will not enforce federal laws pertaining to the 2nd amendment... Way to go indiana..!!!!!!!!!!!

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    There are a whole lot more departments out there. I hope that they will all stand up be counted in this fight for the preservation of our Constitutional rights before they are stripped of their powers.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    +1 Hamilton County Sheriff's office! It is not a small thing for them to make statements like this and it needs to be recognized as such. Thanks!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Awesome! I can tell you that the Boone County Sheriff, Ken Campbell, is also a huge proponent of the 2A. He is also a top tier firearms instructor.

A couple days ago I realized that FOR YEARS now I've failed to realize that the legendary Jeff Cooper is not the same as the "awesome in his own right" Sheriff Ken Campbell. Their names are not THAT similar. To make matters worse a friend of mine works for Sheriff Campbell so I'm sure I've said stuff that just simply doesn't make sense to them. :ugh:

That is what I get for coming into the gun culture so late in life. So much to catch up on. :n00b:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Might be wasted effort

Has anybody even tried to get Marion Co Sheriff Layton's take on it?

Since the merger of MCSD and IPD into IMPD, the Marion County Sheriff has very limited road patrol and every day enforcement duties. Probably the guy to ask would be the new Public Safety Director, Troy Riggs. I think I'll give him a try.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Since the merger of MCSD and IPD into IMPD, the Marion County Sheriff has very limited road patrol and every day enforcement duties. Probably the guy to ask would be the new Public Safety Director, Troy Riggs. I think I'll give him a try.

I realize that. Is the Sheriff still considered the top law enforcement officer in the county though? At the very least he's still elected.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    He is elected

I realize that. Is the Sheriff still considered the top law enforcement officer in the county though? At the very least he's still elected.

Yes, he is elected but the description "top law enforcement officer in the county" probably only applies if there is a warrant for your arrest or you owe back taxes. Legally speaking, he is still the top dog but practically, not so much.

I looked for a way to contact Troy Riggs and was unable to find any email access. His department has a contact email address but I'm sure it won't go directly to him. Looks like a written letter is in order.

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Mark is a down-to-earth guy, known him since he was a "rookie." With his response to the OP's letter and opinion regarding upholding the Constitution, I think we owe it to him to say "thanks" for supporting our Second Amendment. I will be writing a letter of appreciation. I would encourage others to do so also for those LE Officers who are stepping forward on this issue. :)

Top Bottom