Hamilton County...where do ya get your meat?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I'm a recent transplant from Florida, and while I like just about everything about Indiana so far, I gotta say....your butcher counters suck.

I've been looking for a decent package of country style (I've seen em called "Midwest Style and Western Style as well) pork ribs. Not a rack of spare ribs...big meaty cuts of country style pork ribs, bone in. What I've found has been, to say the least, disappointing.

It appears that all there is to be had is puny boneless cuts...just about everywhere I've been so far, which encompasses the IGA in town, and the Marsh next to work. So guys, where the heck can I find some decent ribs in this county? The boneless ones don't cook up right, and they're puny to boot!

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Isn't Archers in Fishers still open? I bought a lot of meat there when I was wiring office buildings just south of there.

We've got a couple of pretty good butcher shops out here just west of me in Ladoga. Decent prices for their cuts. Might be worth the drive, especially if you bought half a hog or so.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I don't know about ribs, but for great cuts of steak, I go to Fresh Market off of 146th street. If you go, get the Angus not the Hereford or the grass fed sh@t. Yea, its a couple of bucks more per pound but worth every penny. They may have ribs also, but don't know. Next time I'm there, I'll look and let you know.

Another thought, I would imagine that there has to be some hog farms somewhere in Hamilton County. I would try going to a CO-OP and ask around. Just a thought. Also, off of 32 just east of Westfield, there is a guy that does BBQ outside the antique mall on the North side of the street. You may want to head there and ask where he gets his. I have never had it, but people tell me its good.

Hope this helps.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Yes!

Isn't Archers in Fishers still open? I bought a lot of meat there when I was wiring office buildings just south of there.

We've got a couple of pretty good butcher shops out here just west of me in Ladoga. Decent prices for their cuts. Might be worth the drive, especially if you bought half a hog or so.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Archers is terrific, we have our deer and elk processed there, and buy
    beef, pork and chicken in bulk, (4 kids= 2 freezers). We had them do a few dozen Canadians into goose burger the last two years, turned out terrific (late season goose= 110 lbs of meat for the cost of a few shells!)

Next year, ask around at the county fair and buy it while still on the hoof from a local farmer. Think global, buy local!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC

It may well be worth the drive...when the weather gets a bit warmer, I see a smoker and a cooler full of beer in the backyard as a distinct possibility. I hear y'all like bacon on this site...well, I like slow cooked pork ribs!

fireman1328

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Central Indiana

The place in Ladoga is too high priced. I raise cattle every couple of years and sold one to a doctor friend of mine who wanted me to take it to Ladoga. The cow weighed 1350, and when he got his meat back, he got 400 lbs and paid over $500 just for the butchering cost.

Now just this week the wife and I found an Amish place that has bulk food, other commodities and also a butcher that sells all kinds of meat. We went by there yesterday(Sat) but they closed at 11AM so we will have to try again, but I am looking forward to seeing what their prices are.

Fire

Raven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Fire, where is the Amish Co-Op located? Have you been there yet? If so, how are the prices?

Top Bottom