• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    So, I'm really interested in getting a Ruger SP 101 Mod 5720. I'm considering this for my new ccw. Are there any draw backs to this design. Only thing I can think of is I won't have "You can't touch this" going through my head. Poor Hammer.

Anyway, as always this is my first stop in the information gathering tour. I'm really wanting a .357. At some point I hope to get a .44 for hunting.

Ruger® SP101® Double-Action Revolver Model 5720

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So, I'm really interested in getting a Ruger SP 101 Mod 5720. I'm considering this for my new ccw. Are there any draw backs to this design. Only thing I can think of is I won't have "You can't touch this" going through my head. Poor Hammer.

Anyway, as always this is my first stop in the information gathering tour. I'm really wanting a .357. At some point I hope to get a .44 for hunting.

Ruger® SP101® Double-Action Revolver Model 5720

I had an SP101 without the hammer being bobbed years ago and wished I had the hammer bobbed (or purchased the version with the hammer already bobbed) and kept it. Back when I was carrying my SP101 I was trying to appendix carry it and it was uncomfortable with the holster I had at the time. The hammer would gouge me constantly. Having the hammer cut down would have made it so much more comfortable to carry.

Given the many hybrid IWB holsters that allow you to carry very comfortably now at the 4 - 5 O'Clock position it might not be as big an issue, but if I were buying an SP101 again, I'd want one with the hammer bobbed.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I like a hammer. I don't like roll checking a revolver on the trigger.

One of my carry guns is a M638 as I like the shroud but still like having the hammer for roll checks.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    I carry a 357 3" sp101 Mine has the hammer. I have a couple snubs that are hammer less and don't mind it but I really like having the hammer on the SP101. Nice to be able to have it as a fun gun at the range as well as a CCW

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    May have to look at the LCR. Shaves a bit off the weight and price. Both very attractive.

I was trying to choose between the same two at one point.

I went with the LCR and Im glad I did. Its light weight, carrys good in the pocket and the recoil is more than controlable.

Ive got about 100 rnds of .357 and I havent even counted the .38 Ive put through it, and Im very happy with my LCR. I recomend it to anyone wanting a CCW revolver.

Either way you cant go wrong with a Ruger.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Depends..................pocket............light..............no hammer.

Otherwise.........if it's heavy............hammer.

I'm referring to wheel guns above.

If you ask me about autos..............I really do prefer a hammer, as well as a decock.

Just my preference, after over 30 years of shooting, as well as some pretty darn good instruction.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I prefer to have the hammer bobbed on all of my carry revolvers. It makes them more streamlined and snag free. Besides, I rarley shoot any of my self defense revolvers in single action anyways. Chances are if you ever need to use a revolver in self defense you are not going to be thumbing back the hammer every time anyways.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Have had all THREE models of SP101-2.25"-.357Mag...

I have had:
    SP101-With hammer..Sold to good friend.
    SP101-With hammer-Spur removed with grinder+Dremel Tool..Sold at an Indy 1500 GS.

SP101-Hammerless DA only. Out of the three, this is the one that stayed in my safe and I carry. It packs in well, the hammer is totally snag free, and accurate enough at defensive range with .357Mag. punch.
    No--It is NOT a target gun--NOT made to be...Bill.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have the same gun only with a hammer spur There are no flies on that gun either. I pocket carry with no problems.
    To draw a revolver from the front pocket is simple. Your thumb goes to the hammer as your fingers wrap the grip. With the thumb on the hammer there are no snags and you are ready to cock the hammer back whenever you please. If cocking is a problem then there is still the double action option available.
    The only reason I would not get the hammerless is because the regular one is more versatile for the same money. I would not fire double action normally, but I could if I wanted to.
    I have been looking at that LCR also. I would never trade my sp101 for the LCR but if I was looking specifically for a pocket revolver then the LCR fills the roll nicely.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Unless it's going in a pocket I would get it with the hammer. That is a HEAVY (+25oz loaded) pocket gun. And if it's not going in the pocket the 3" is the cat's meow, one of my favorite revolvers in the stable.

If it was a smith j frame I would go hammerless (and do) but as this gent said, The sp 101 is more a "kit" gun rather than CCW. I like them and would consider them perfect for a "trail" gun in the 3 inch version.

Load it with some nice heavy .357 magnums and you could drop a deer for the stew pot. Not that any of us ever think we may have to survive in the woods and have actually considered such an unlikely scenario.:rolleyes:

That would be silly.:D

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Yes, carries very well in the woods. I use 158gr cast lead flat nost boolits with a big meplat when in the woods, the Lee 358-156-FP. And Yes, I've considered the fact that it will take down a deer :) For SD it's a 125gr gold dot moving at 1400fps (22gr H110 handload...hang on!)

Tyrusvirus1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I personally have a double action only hammer on my snubbie. While I prefer the looks and the versatility of a standard hammer, I did not want single action capability on my carry gun for liability reasons. If (God forbid) I ever had to draw, I would not want to instinctively cock the hammer. There could be legal ramifications and I would not want to give any of these anti gun ambulance chasing lawyers any more fuel to there fire.

Pitchfork

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    South Bend Area
    It's time for some Dr. Seuss math... calculatus eliminatus!

Dr. Seuss said:
    The way to find a missing something is to find out where it's not.

Answering yes to the following questions ads or subtracts the points indicated below:

Will you target shoot? +1 for hammer spur
    Will you holster carry non-appendix? +1 for hammer spur
    Into cowboy action shooting? (are good at weak hand trigger manipulation) +1 for hammer spur
    Holster have a thumb strap? +1 for hammer spur
    Do you like the clickity-click? +1 for hammer spur

Will you pocket carry? -1 for hammer spur
    Will you holster carry appendix? -1 for hammer spur
    Are you good with DOA triggers? (can you stage one?) -1 for hammer spur
    Self defense only? -1 for hammer spur
    Is this a BUG (weak hand only) -1 for hammer spur

Do you have more +'s or -'s? (hey, I said it was Dr. Seuss, I didn't say it was scientific)

Last edited:

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    I have one with the hammer and in my opinion it should be that way. the gun with the hammer allows you to do single and double action which doesnt seem that great but it is to me. plus if for some reason you dont like the trigger pull on double action, thumb that hammer and make the trigger pull lighter

Top Bottom