• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm researching different models of Hand-Crank Radios. I would like to hear your reviews and experiences with different brands. How much listening time do you get on a full charge? How long do you have to crank them? Do they wear out over time? What brands are best? Thanks in advance.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've had one of the Baygen Freeplay radios for 11 years. It's been reliable, but I don't think my model is made anymore. Based on that experience, I'd look at the Freeplay products if I had to buy today.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    :popcorn: I'm interested in people's feedback too. I've been looking at the Eton models but have read good and bad reviews.

United

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I have a Grundig FR-200 and it works fine and dandy...guess it's made by Eton. To be honest, I haven't used it a whole lot really. 3 hours was the max I've had it on at one time continuously when we were without power.

It's got AM, FM, SW1 and SW2 bands. If it's a clear night out I swear I get some Russian language thing on shortwave!

here is a link to the product page for it:

Product Card

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I recently got a Eton FR150. I can charge it off USB or solar and I can charge a cell phone with it. I took it to scout camp last week and it worked very well. I did not test how long the batteries last... I have another flashlight that I prefer, but there's nothing wrong with the flashlight either.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I'm researching different models of Hand-Crank Radios. I would like to hear your reviews and experiences with different brands. How much listening time do you get on a full charge? How long do you have to crank them? Do they wear out over time? What brands are best? Thanks in advance.

A hand-crank radio won't play your Backstreet Boys casettes, Rambone. Maybe you should get a walk-man with some rechargeable batteries.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So how does this short-wave feature work? You can find stations around the world? How can you find stations that are local to you, without a bunch of others coming in from all over the place?

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    So how does this short-wave feature work? You can find stations around the world? How can you find stations that are local to you, without a bunch of others coming in from all over the place?

There are some magazines at the big bookstores (Barnes, Borders) such as Popular Communications and others that have lists of broadcasts and times so you can look for what interests you. On shortwave there are some US broadcasters but not lots. You can often find them by just scanning through the different bands for the most powerful signals. I don't have a hand crank but have spent time listening to shortwave. It can be fun. You find some opinions on there that you don't hear from main stream media outlets.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Thanks for the feedback from everyone.
    I am not the OP, but I have been looking at handcrank radios for awhile now.
    I went to the Etón website and saw all their models.
    Most interesting was the FR500.
    It does AM/FM/NOAA/Short wave.
    Also sports a handcrank, solar power
    Siren, beacon light.
    It has DC out to power cellphone or MP3 player.
    I just found and purchased one on eBay for $29.99 (with free shipping).
    Awesome deal.
    Excellent B.O.B. accessory.

Top Bottom