• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    My old round tray style Lee hand priming tool is about to give up after many years and thousands of rounds of priming my rifle rounds. So what you say INGO, what's the best method of manual priming out there today ? I've been scouring the web looking at different hand held primers but want some real world opinions from the INGO community.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Lee ergo prime. I have the square steel style which came out after the round one that you have. My plastic covers have broken and Lee no longer replaces them because it is discontinued. Like you I'll be looking for a new hand priming tool really soon and plan on getting the ergo prime.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'd say try a couple. Hands sizes make a huge difference! I have both an RCBS and a Lee XR. The RCBS is much more comfortable me after doing hundreds of rounds. The XR is nice but tears up my thumb.

For others it's just the opposite!! If I were closer I'd let ypu try mine to see whàt you like better.

T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    My old round tray Lee is still working well but I was curious about the square tray Lee tools when they were released so I bought one. I keep one set up for small primers and the other for large primers. I've switched the lg./sm.set-ups between the 2 tools several times and I really can't see/feel any difference. If you like your old Lee I think you will like the square tray Lee.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I could always put a Lee auto prime on my Classic single stage but i'm not too impressed with the quality of the Lee auto prime's construction. It would work but i'm thinking i'd like something a bit better.

Last edited:

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I use the lee auto prime on a classic lee press. It's not a hand primer but I've grown to like it a lot. I bought a used rock chucker and was going to do single stage reloading with it. I used it for awhile but I just wanted to go back to the Lee, mainly because of the auto prime. I ended up doing just that and got my Dad started reloading with the rock chucker.
    The Lee auto prime looks fragile but I've used it to prime over 10,000 rounds between 30-06, 308 and 223.
    I have an old style hand primer somewhere and I did use it for a few hundred rounds. In my opinion it was way harder to prime as opposed to the auto prime.
    Really, I don't know if it's just one of those things you start with and would rather continue to do it that way for me.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Let me add my recommendation, the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool.

It's well built, loads 100 primers quickly, converts between large and small primers in a few minutes, and doesn't require the purchase of individual shell holders (or moving them from the press). It also provides a good "feel" of the primer allowing me to stop or adjust the case if the primer pocket is a bit tight. It is also easy to move to another room if you want to sit down or watch TV while priming. (Hand priming is the only time I will watch TV while doing a reloading operation.)

I've primed over 13,000 cases with it and never had a mechanical problem.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Thanks for all the great recommendations! I mulled it over and decided to cry once and get the RCBS Bench mounted auto primer unit. I have a portable bench with my Lyman lubrasizer and heater mounted. I'll just mount this bench primer unit next to it and go from there.

I can't complain about the Lee as it lasted almost 7 years but the handle on it is now bottoming out and i'm getting double feeds. Something is probably either worn or bent.

Everything I've read about the RCBS bench unit is good and has lasted many people more than 30 years. I know I really like my RCBS bench mounted pocket swager which is similar to the Dillon.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I was very happy with my Lee AutoPrime until the pot-metal handle broke in two. I may just buy another to see if it was a fluke or bad engineering.

Top Bottom