• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justjoe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    gun counter at walmart
    Has anyone had experience with a hand operated vacuum pump when sealing canning jars? Interested in using vacuum to seal some jars and keep dried supplies, such as beans, rice and pasta, for long term storage and thought a hand vacuum pump would have long term uses such as when the grid goes down. Can see sealing dried corn and wheat when no electricity is available.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Not with vacuuming food per-se, but I do have experience with a hand vacuum pump. I use one to nitrogen purge optics and it works quite well. With the pump I have I can pull about 24 inHg vacuum which isn't too bad. Perfect vacuum is 29.92 inHg, so 24 isn't too far off.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Canning jars seal by cooling. If the jar and contents are at 200 degrees F, and your screw the lids down tight, when everything cools they pull the lids down tight under vacuum. I have never seen a vacuum pump needed. I'll bet corn coming straight out of the grain dryer will be hot enough to pull the canning jar lid to seal.

justjoe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    gun counter at walmart
    Good points, but I am looking to preserve things such as pasta and beans. Vacuum sealed and dried would be quicker and easier than canning. You can can tomatoes in a microwave the same as a hot water bath, but if the grid is down then no microwave, same with a vacuum sealing system.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom