Handcuffed, disarmed for obeying the law - in Vegas.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Always enjoyed Vin's articles in the past, especially when he gets to the root cause of such nonsense:
    We should not be required to apply for any "permit" to carry a concealed weapon in the first place. Despite this, Mr. Mitchener did everything required of him by law, ordinance and Metro instructions.

The officer handcuffed and disarmed him "so that everyone would be safe"? What a bunch of bull. If the burglar or burglars had emerged, they would have been confronted not by two armed law-abiding good guys, but instead by one small, frightened officer and a handcuffed and disarmed legal occupant. This rendered Mr. Mitchener "safer"?

Please note that if Mr. Mitchener had not followed law, ordinance, and Metro request, if he had carried a firearm in his waistband without ever seeking a permit or informing the officer he had it, the tiny officer would have had no probable cause to disarm him, and he would likely have remained armed throughout the entire encounter. Thus, he was punished, degraded, and treated like a common criminal because and only because he attempted to follow law, ordinance and Metro's legally dubious "instructions."

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Could I have made the sarcasm any more obvious? I guess I have to use flashing neon red.

I think purple is the color Esrice is hoping for now. :laugh:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/forum_support_suggestions/69443-purple_text_for_sarcasm.html

prince-purple-copy1.jpg

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So, in NV, would the subject of this story been required to proactively disclose his CCW status to the responding officer for some reason? He's not under arrest, hasn't been stopped, etc.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This kind of thing can easily sour someone on calling the police permanently. That's a very stressful time for all involved, and to make it worse as per the events reported in the article is something someone won't ever forget. I know I would not.

It would be kind of like reporting a fire, then having the firefighters force you to stay inside the burning building while they decided what they wanted to do about it.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    I would like to know why he's telling the leo he has a CCw and is carrying. When he isn't being detained and he's standing on his property.

Also us firemen do have our moments of wrong doing...We are just smart enough not to allow Dash Cams in our trucks..lol.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    But that would never happen because firefighters never do anything wrong and everyone loves them! ;)

Being a sarcastic bastard , I recognize sarcasm and LOVE IT ! Good one :yesway:

However , where are the locked threads about firemen misbehaving ?

Have ya ever known a fireman show up and spray your house down , just cause he can ?

Have ya ever heard of a fireman that F'd with anyone during the course of his duties , just cause he could ?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    But that would never happen because firefighters never do anything wrong and everyone loves them! ;)

Oh man don't get me going on the fireman thing!!! Way to much self perceived drama,show boating and horn tooting with those guys IMO. Not all but many. And I used to be one for eight years.:)

The Las Vegas cop was way out of line. Uncalled for.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Being a sarcastic bastard , I recognize sarcasm and LOVE IT ! Good one :yesway:

However , where are the locked threads about firemen misbehaving ?

Have ya ever known a fireman show up and spray your house down , just cause he can ?

Have ya ever heard of a fireman that F'd with anyone during the course of his duties , just cause he could ?

Dude, if this were still 2006, I think the correct response to the above would be: "Oh, SNAP!"

Big_John

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Richmond
    That should have never have happened if she was concered she could have took the weapon cleared it secured it in her vechicle. Why would you have ever put some one in handcuffs in that situation? In my opion she shouldn't have done anything to the shop owner.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    It isn't yet, but it has the very good possibility of becoming one, and it will be the usual suspects doing all the bashing.

That being said, I don't agree one bit with the actions of the officer. If she is that scared of a 61 year old that called her to his business to take a burglary report, she needs to find another job not in LE.

Well said. It should be noted, these are the actions of 1 officer, albeit improper actions in my opinion. The other officers all acted properly and even gave some good gun conversation. Sounds like the majority are good apples. :rockwoot:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Here is the e-mail I sent to Sheriff Gillespie with his response. ALthough he gives few details, it sounds as if he is making an effort to see to it this doesn't happen again.

Sheriff Gillespie,

I have just become aware of an incident in your jurisdiction in which an officer responded to a reported break-in where she encountered the business owner, who presented his personal identification and concealed carry permit to the officer. She then handcuffed and disarmed the citizen!

Is this a normal practice in your agency? I am astonished at the lack of professionalism and common sense represented by such a practice, not to mention the bad blood that will be caused between gunowners and your agency by this blunder.

Please respond and tell me what is being done to retrain this officer and prevent such an incident from occurring in the future.

Lieutenant Harry Thomas (ret.)

Cincinnati Police Division

Dear Mr. Thomas,

Thank you for writing into my office about this issue. After reading the article in the Las Vegas Review Journal, I can appreciate your concerns. To start, I have been briefed on this incident and we have looked into it. In weighing the event, I agree that our officer could have managed this incident differently. The mistakes made in her approach to the good citizen mentioned in the article, will be addressed through training.

I would also like to add that we do have training on “Open Carry” and “Carrying Concealed Weapons Permits.” Our workforce recently went through mandatory training on this topic late last fall. With this being said, we will continue to look at how we train our officers on this issue.

In closing, you are right: officers take an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. It is one that I took over twenty-eight years ago and still hold dearly today. Police work is an honorable and noble profession, yet it is not an easy path. The work is dangerous. Many officers are assaulted or killed each year while serving their communities. This is not an excuse; I only want to say that each of us in our day-to-day mission of “to protect and to serve” have learned lessons. Please keep in mind that each call that an officer responds to is different and that this was a new officer who was placed in a circumstance that was unfamiliar to her. In this event, after getting a better understanding of the circumstances, the officer apologized. After reviewing what occurred, I know that this officer, and others, have learned from the incident.

Thank you for candidly discussing this matter. I am honored to be your Sheriff and to serve this community.

Respectfully,

Sheriff Douglas C. Gillespie

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Here is the e-mail I sent to Sheriff Gillespie with his response. ALthough he gives few details, it sounds as if he is making an effort to see to it this doesn't happen again.

Sheriff Gillespie,

I have just become aware of an incident in your jurisdiction in which an officer responded to a reported break-in where she encountered the business owner, who presented his personal identification and concealed carry permit to the officer. She then handcuffed and disarmed the citizen!

Is this a normal practice in your agency? I am astonished at the lack of professionalism and common sense represented by such a practice, not to mention the bad blood that will be caused between gunowners and your agency by this blunder.

Please respond and tell me what is being done to retrain this officer and prevent such an incident from occurring in the future.

Lieutenant Harry Thomas (ret.)

Cincinnati Police Division

Dear Mr. Thomas,

Thank you for writing into my office about this issue. After reading the article in the Las Vegas Review Journal, I can appreciate your concerns. To start, I have been briefed on this incident and we have looked into it. In weighing the event, I agree that our officer could have managed this incident differently. The mistakes made in her approach to the good citizen mentioned in the article, will be addressed through training.

I would also like to add that we do have training on “Open Carry” and “Carrying Concealed Weapons Permits.” Our workforce recently went through mandatory training on this topic late last fall. With this being said, we will continue to look at how we train our officers on this issue.

In closing, you are right: officers take an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. It is one that I took over twenty-eight years ago and still hold dearly today. Police work is an honorable and noble profession, yet it is not an easy path. The work is dangerous. Many officers are assaulted or killed each year while serving their communities. This is not an excuse; I only want to say that each of us in our day-to-day mission of “to protect and to serve” have learned lessons. Please keep in mind that each call that an officer responds to is different and that this was a new officer who was placed in a circumstance that was unfamiliar to her. In this event, after getting a better understanding of the circumstances, the officer apologized. After reviewing what occurred, I know that this officer, and others, have learned from the incident.

Thank you for candidly discussing this matter. I am honored to be your Sheriff and to serve this community.

Respectfully,

Sheriff Douglas C. Gillespie

Gotta say, that's a nice response, IMHO.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    It isn't yet, but it has the very good possibility of becoming one, and it will be the usual suspects doing all the bashing.

That being said, I don't agree one bit with the actions of the officer. If she is that scared of a 61 year old that called her to his business to take a burglary report, she needs to find another job not in LE.

Bravo!!

In hindsight, when she asked if he was carrying, should he have answered "no ma'am." (assuming he was CC'ing, of course)?

Top Bottom