• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    Ok, question time, the past couple times I've been out shooting my carry pistol I've been noticing that I tend to group a hair low and left of bull, what advice can u give me? Is it me or possibly the gun and in either situation, what can I do to correct that?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Sounds like you may be slapping the trigger. Instead of squeezing it. Try this at home and see if it does not solve the problem. With an unloaded gun. Take a penny and sit it on your front sight. Find something to aim at. Squeeze the trigger, without causing the penny to fall off of the sight. This will teach you proper trigger squeeze.

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    The dummie load drill works well too. Load a full mag, and put in a few dummie loads in the mag, it's best if you don't know where they are so have a friend load them if you can. Watch what your pistol does when you pull the trigger on a dummie load. You can see if you are jerking the trigger very easily.

Also it could be a simple as your sights need adjusting...

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    Ok, question time, the past couple times I've been out shooting my carry pistol I've been noticing that I tend to group a hair low and left of bull, what advice can u give me? Is it me or possibly the gun and in either situation, what can I do to correct that?

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Im not an expert so my explanation may suck but assuming you are right handed you may be pulling with your left hand to much. That sounds weird even to me but someone can probably explain it much better.

if you are left handed its trigger squeeze.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You might try tightening your grip a bit more. What can happen is that when you press the trigger your other 3 fingers are reflexively tightening as you move your index finger. Generally, if you have a fairly strong grip, those three fingers cannot tighten much more than they already are which means that pressing the trigger will not cause misalignment. You need the strongest grip you can have without inducing shaking of the hand. If you golf, think of how strong you hold a driver as you tee off - that's the kind of grip you want. Not a death-grip, but a very firm one.

Another possibility is flinch. I.E. you are anticipating the recoil and as you pull the trigger you are pulling the gun downward to get ahead of the recoil. This is very common. You can check this by loading snap caps into your magazine with live ammunition. If the gun moves instinctively when you pull the trigger on a snap cap, then you know you have flinch. The cure is a lot of dry fire practice and following through on the shot. I.E. keep the sights aligned on target and do not worry about recoil - your gun should still be aimed on target after the shot if you pull the trigger on a snap cap! Condition your mind to think every shot is a snap cap and you will soon cure the problem.

Hope that helps!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Going to be hard to determine what you are doing without seeing you shoot or even the target. Does the gun group the same for you on bags? Does it group the same for someone else? Get someone knowledgeable to watch you shoot.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Typically, for a right-handed shooter, hitting "low and left" is an indicator of jerking the trigger a little with your finger instead of a steady pull to the rear.

That graphic contained in the link that WhitleyStu posted is very good. Not definitive, but still good.

-J-

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Those little screw looking things on your sights are for adjusting them, not just holding them on there.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Is it me or possibly the gun and in either situation, what can I do to correct that?

In most situations its the shooter.

Like Coach suggested, I'd take the shooter out of the equation and try shooting from a bench on a bag or rest. If it hits point-of-aim, then its you. If its still off, its the sights.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Assuming right handed, I'd say grip is too tight. The chart that WhitleyStu listed is a good thing to look at.

The USCAA had an article last month that was related to the one hole drill. At a fairly short range shoot the target and see where the follow-up shots (2 go). In my case I was also slightly low left. They sighted a grip being too tight as the issue as well. Loosening the grip did help in correcting my issue. Working on making it automatic for me know.

Top Bottom