• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Maybe someone here knows for sure...I know I can't by handguns in another state
    but is it legal to buy the ammo...stores in Illinois refuse to sell it to me.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I buy rifle ammo there all the time with no issues, just a drivers license. I can buy long guns with
    my DL, but they make me wait one day to pick it up.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I believe you have to get an Illinois permit for Ammo. It's a state law, not a federal law.
    Not true. There is no such thing as a "permit" in Illinois. There is a FOID (Firearm Owners ID) card which is required for any ILLINOIS RESIDENT to purchase any legal firearm or ammunition. An out of state person may buy any ammunition they want provided they have ID and are old enough. You must be 21 in Illinois to buy a handgun and Handgun ammunition. Machine guns are illegal in Illinois except for the usuals (LEO, Military, Ammo Manu.).

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I've been told by a shop in Pekin, IL that they won't sell me ammo because "they don't know the laws of the state I'm from regarding ammo purchases in my state and since they can't and don't care to know the laws of all the other states, they aren't going to sell any ammo to anyone without an FOID card."
    So be it. I went down the street to the local Wal-mart and got what I wanted.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I'm sorry, but ILLINOIS, DUH!!!!! No FOID, you are screwed there, because LGS or any other place that sells ammo are too stupid to understand the law, or fight for the 2nd. That is why it is the Democratic Peoples Republic Of. Easier to cave in than deal with harrassment. Josef Stalin would be right at home there.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Have rarely found it cheaper here. The store I'm talking about has good prices but cashiers
    don't know the law and the management doesn't care. One asked if the. 22 ammo I had was for
    a pistol. "No ma'am, it says long rifle right on the box "
    Could not explain that 9mm works in rifles too. That's when I tell them it's ok I'll just "mail
    order it " The astonished looks are priceless.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Maybe someone here knows for sure...I know I can't by handguns in another state
    but is it legal to buy the ammo...stores in Illinois refuse to sell it to me.

Drive to Ohio...it may be further but its a no hassle state.

I wouldn't drive to Illinois to "water" it, even if it was across the street.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Unfortunately I go there most days to work...jobs too good to quit. Ohio is a bit far as I'm 10 miles
    from Illinois. Hardly worth the gas.

Top Bottom