Handgun At Airport.......What to expect?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Ok so lets send this out the masses for some input and comments.

I have a close personal friend who was in a hurry to get packed in the weeeee hours of the morning for a flight. Grabbed is backpack slammed it full of clothes and headed to the airport......I think you all know where this is going! (total accident)

Long story short he found a .380 he had been missing but only got to see it for a couple of minutes.

So the question here is what to expect in his future. He has no criminal records, has his LTCH which was presented at the time and he was issued a summons to appear.

Any lawyers that specialize in this area in the Indianapolis area?
    Anyone have first or second hand experience on this matter?
    What are the ramifications going forward for him?

I have checked out the summons and it looks more like a traffic ticket with check boxes on the back (that alone makes me think it is not "TOO" serious)?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is within his best interest to contact an attorney at once.

The ones I have done have all been state level prosecutions. Class A misdemeanor. 0-365 days; 0-5K fine.

Each case is different. He needs to contact counsel ASAP.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    FYI just because it looks like a ticket doesn't mean it isn't serious, just means they didn't choose to take him into custody. He is still going to have to go before a judge and answer for whatever the charge is. Infraction ticket (complaint and summons), and a misdemeanor charge summons to appear (information and summons) look nearly identical, but are very different in significance.

I'm guessing they are hitting him with the section 35-47-6-1.1 which is a class A misdemeanor. Take the advice others have already given on this one...

Last edited:

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    FYI just because it looks like a ticket doesn't mean it isn't serious, just means they didn't choose to take him into custody. He is still going to have to go before a judge and answer for whatever the charge is. Infraction ticket (complaint and summons), and a misdemeanor charge summons to appear (information and summons) look nearly identical, but are very different in significance.

I'm guessing they are hitting him with the section 35-47-6-1.1 which is a class A misdemeanor. Take the advice others have already given on this one...

Well as near as I could tell from the scribble on the Summons it was 35-47-6-1.3 or 8 if that makes a difference?

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    It is within his best interest to contact an attorney at once.

The ones I have done have all been state level prosecutions. Class A misdemeanor. 0-365 days; 0-5K fine.

Each case is different. He needs to contact counsel ASAP.

Thanks for the info Kirk, I was kind of hoping you would chime in. I know from past posts that legal questions tend to be in your wheelhouse.

Any suggestions on names or are you not allowed to do that here?

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Grabbed is backpack slammed it full of clothes and headed to the airport......I think you all know where this is going! (total accident)

Judge be like "if I'd get a penny every time I heard that......."

Yeah, lawyer up.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Well as near as I could tell from the scribble on the Summons it was 35-47-6-1.3 or 8 if that makes a difference?

IC 35-47-6-1.3
    A person who knowingly or intentionally enters an area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property while the person; (1) possesses; (A) a firearm; (B) an explosive; or (C) any other deadly weapon; or (2) has access to property that contains; (A) a firearm;(B) an explosive; or (C) any other deadly weapon; commits a Class A misdemeanor.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    IC 35-47-6-1.3
    A person who knowingly or intentionally enters an area of an airport to which access is controlled by the inspection of persons and property while the person; (1) possesses; (A) a firearm; (B) an explosive; or (C) any other deadly weapon; or (2) has access to property that contains; (A) a firearm;(B) an explosive; or (C) any other deadly weapon; commits a Class A misdemeanor.

Now going forward what ramifications could he be looking at on his 2A rights? Sounds like it is not a felony but it is firearm related?

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I once had the TSA find 2 knives in my computer bag.
    One I hadn't seen in a long time.
    So that's where that was...
    They confiscated them and that was that.
    Sometimes they will even let you mail them back to your house.
    But this was a GUN!
    So charges HAVE to be filed and a BIG DEAL has to be made.
    Just give people a break.

Hoplophobe rant /off

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thanks for the info Kirk, I was kind of hoping you would chime in. I know from past posts that legal questions tend to be in your wheelhouse.

Any suggestions on names or are you not allowed to do that here?

He should contact the attorney of his choosing.

Guy is an excellent attorney. We taught together in downtown Indianapolis Thursday. He is "up" on his gun laws.:D

Top Bottom