• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LEGENw84itDARY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have a friend that is curious about building a handgun, I told him about building maybe a 1911 or a Glock because those are the only two i've every really heard of anyone building from the frame up. I was curious if anyone knew of any others that are somewhat popular to build.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    The only thing I've heard of actually building from parts is a 1911. That doesn't mean nobody has, just that I've not heard of it.

I'm currently building a Wilson Combat 1911. I'm using a "Drop In" barrel, which almost is, and "Bullet Proof" parts. The only thing not Wilson will be the Dawson Precision mag well.

Doing it this way has turned out to be assembly, rather than gunsmithing. I bought a bunch of tools getting ready, then used two files, a punch, and a trigger track stone. The Wilson machining tolerances are so tight that there really hasn't been much fitting to it.

There probably isn't much money to be saved doing it this way. I've paid twice as much for parts as I did for a complete Colt Combat Elite. On the other hand, I'm having a great time learning how to do this, and when I'm done I'll have a gun made of machined forgings and bar stock (rather than castings). When this one is up and running I won't hesitate to do it again. In fact I'm planning to build one using an officer frame and a commander slide.

My project:

Basic function is there. The trigger pull is still a little heavy and I have to final fit the thumb safety. If things go well I hope to take it to my Uncle's next weekend to blue the frame and slide. He's a real gunsmith who has poked me in the ribs for buying parts that were too good - apparently one learns more fitting cheap parts. There's a bit more to do, but it's mostly final tuning/polish stuff.

WilsonParts01.jpg

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I only saw a couple parts to change out on a glock with the link provided. To me that is not much of a build. Customize sure... build hardly.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A while back an INGO'er bought an aluminum alloy frame for a Glock and showed it off here.

A few heads asploded and comments of shame, disgust, and sacrilege were posted.

All very hilarious to me. But educational, too. Yes. You can build a Glock.

Homebrew

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    The only thing I've heard of actually building from parts is a 1911. That doesn't mean nobody has, just that I've not heard of it.

I'm currently building a Wilson Combat 1911. I'm using a "Drop In" barrel, which almost is, and "Bullet Proof" parts. The only thing not Wilson will be the Dawson Precision mag well.

Doing it this way has turned out to be assembly, rather than gunsmithing. I bought a bunch of tools getting ready, then used two files, a punch, and a trigger track stone. The Wilson machining tolerances are so tight that there really hasn't been much fitting to it.

There probably isn't much money to be saved doing it this way. I've paid twice as much for parts as I did for a complete Colt Combat Elite. On the other hand, I'm having a great time learning how to do this, and when I'm done I'll have a gun made of machined forgings and bar stock (rather than castings). When this one is up and running I won't hesitate to do it again. In fact I'm planning to build one using an officer frame and a commander slide.

My project:

Basic function is there. The trigger pull is still a little heavy and I have to final fit the thumb safety. If things go well I hope to take it to my Uncle's next weekend to blue the frame and slide. He's a real gunsmith who has poked me in the ribs for buying parts that were too good - apparently one learns more fitting cheap parts. There's a bit more to do, but it's mostly final tuning/polish stuff.

Where did you buy these parts, Brownells?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I suppose it depends on your definition of "build". Attaching a bunch of "drop in" aftermarket parts is not a "build" in my experience. A build is where you take a pistol and dump out every part in the frame and slide and replace them with oversized parts that have been handfitted to that frame and that slide along with a hard fitted match bbl. What some of you here are talking about is more like "dressing up" your gun. But I guess you can call it whatever. Don't mind me if I have to laugh if you call it a "build".

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ok, I left for a moment and looked over the Lone Wolf site.:laugh: If Glocks are so "perfect" why are these people even in business?:dunno: But seriously, I am not bashing Glocks because I think 1911s are the "perfect" handgun.I own lots of different guns. I just can't wrap my brain around the concept that a injection molded polymer mass produced spec handgun is somehow "better" than a steel one. (much less "perfect".) But you polymer guys swear that these guns are "better" when they are really just a completely different design approach. :rolleyes: And with a much higher margin of profit for the manufacturer. Glock took over the entire LEO market from S&W back in the 80s only because they were new and different and light and, (wait for it) ......cheap to buy in quantity. Better? Perfect? :noway: OK, light me up Glockboys!! Hit me with your best shot.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Those are the only two that i've seen frames/full build parts for.

I plan on attempting a build from cheap parts once I move back into the same area code as my shop as a learning experience. My plan is to take my springfield (older model with. 45 firing pin) and compare/contrast part fitment. Should be fun in a frustrating kind of way.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I'm using the term "build" just the same as anyone "building" an AR or "building" an AK would use it. Buy all the pieces and build it from the frame
    up

I see "building" as starting from a raw frame and slide, as I have. Taking an existing gun, dumping out the fiddly bits, then replacing them is either "customization" (if one uses higher quality parts) or perhaps "rebuilding" (if one uses marginal cast parts). Of course, everybody's vocabulary differs somewhat. No problem by me.

Other than the Drop In barrel I got a standard Wilson barrel (they're both match barrels) that requires full fitting. It's at about 90%.

Once I have this up and running smoothly I plan on getting a .460 Rowland barrel. The .460 is a full magnum load (tops out at around 1550 fps) and requires a high quality frame. That has a lot to do with why I chose Wilson.

I picked the "Bullet Proof" parts because if a part breaks they'll replace it. Period. Can't beat that. The precise tolerances that limited the need for a lot of fitting is a mixed blessing. I wanted to do more, but I'm not at all upset that I don't have to. I'll build others and learn more with each one.

I really don't know of any other handgun that lends itself to this process the way the 1911 does.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Kinda like "building" a computer. I would always ask mow many amps their soldering iron was!

But seriously I'd like to try a 1911 build. But would like to start with a blank or partially finished frame forging, does anybody sell frames like that?

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Kinda like "building" a computer. I would always ask mow many amps their soldering iron was!

But seriously I'd like to try a 1911 build. But would like to start with a blank or partially finished frame forging, does anybody sell frames like that?

Wilson Combat occasionally sells assemblies. That's a slide/frame combo. Foster Industries keeps talking about having assemblies, but they never actually seem to have them. Plus the Foster is cast while the Wilson is forged.

Oh, and I build my own computers too. :)

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Oh, and I build my own computers too. :)

Wilson sell them in the rough? Or considered finished for ATF purposes?

My dad was an electrical engineer. And really built lots of stuff. I worked with him one summer drafting printed circuit boards.

I do chuckle at the term "build" when applied to anything that is really just assembling.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Wilson sell them in the rough? Or considered finished for ATF purposes?

I haven't seen anything that isn't finished to the point of having a serial number. Once it has a serial number it's a gun and needs to be transferred through a shop with an FFL on file with the manufacturer. Everything is CNC machined, then at least bead blasted to a nice matte finish. Tolerance levels and fineness of finish vary between the manufacturers. Wilsons are very nice and held to very tight tolerances, though there is some finish work. Fosters usually have cosmetic issues that require quite a bit more work. Caspian falls in the middle. Les Baer probably falls in with Wilson, though I haven't actually seen their products.

My dad was an electrical engineer. And really built lots of stuff. I worked with him one summer drafting printed circuit boards.

I do chuckle at the term "build" when applied to anything that is really just assembling.

The one I'm working on is more assembly than build, though I am having to do some actual work. I had to polish the trigger tracks for smooth operation. I had to work the trigger itself some. I'm getting ready to checker the front strap. I'll have to do a proper trigger job and fit the thumb safety. The Drop In barrel took some work, while the standard has taken quite a bit. I'll have to polish up several parts for proper reliable operation. Mostly it's been detail work rather than gross fitting.

By the time it's done I'll wind up using more of the tools than I have at this point.

In all it's been quite enjoyable, which is the point. For the money I have spent I could have simply ordered a Wilson Supergrade and waited for it to be delivered. Of course that wouldn't have been as much fun. :)

Top Bottom