• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    From the regs summarized: must have case over 1.16" and fire bullet of .243 diameter or larger. Specifically exempt are 32-20, 25-20, 30 carbine.

They all meet the requirements of case length and diameter, and have been used successfully to take deer and larger game. Is this just another "we don't think it is powerful enough"? Wouldn't a minimum muzzle energy be a better way to handle this? Just thinking out loud since I have a 32-20 T/C barrel that can safely push a 115gr bullet at 1600fps.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Those cartridges are legal from a rifle on private land but even from a rifle they are pretty anemic. IMO, the point of hunting is to try to kill the deer as quickly and humanely as possible, not to find the barest minimum possible cartridge that will kill a deer or just to have an excuse to use whatever toy is in the safe. Deer deserve more respect than that and there are plenty of low recoiling cartridges that provide higher performance.

It's because politicians, not biologists or ballisticians, make the rules.

This rule is on the DNR from many years ago.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    Two70, I agree with you that there are more powerful light recoiling cartridges. I also only have access to public land. I have taken deer in other states with such anemic cartridges as the .223 and 22 Hornet. It is about patience for the perfect shot, placement of that shot, and knowing the capabilities and lack thereof for the cartridge used. We know this. The DNR does not accept this.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The 32-20 is plenty powerful enough as a handloaded proposition, but factory ammo is anemic at best and not widely loaded with bullets appropriate for deer. Not every hunter is gun savy and aware of the limitations. Another consideration for the OP is some of the Contender 32-20 barrels are 30 caliber bore.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I have a ENCORE PISTOL, it has a 161/2 inch barrel and it is a 308 caliber.On public land I shoot it like a pistol, on private land I shoot it as a rifle as I put a stock on it.Plenty of power for deer.I keep my shots in the 75 yard range.Great on yotes too.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a ENCORE PISTOL, it has a 161/2 inch barrel and it is a 308 caliber.On public land I shoot it like a pistol, on private land I shoot it as a rifle as I put a stock on it.Plenty of power for deer.I keep my shots in the 75 yard range.Great on yotes too.

I have a 16" barreled .308Winchester Savage Striker pistol.
    I wonder if I could find a shoulder stock to fit it?

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've got a Contender with a 10" .357 Herrett barrel. I'd like to take it hunting but I can't seem to get around to handloading rounds for it. I have the dies and the brass but I'm just too lazy. Maybe I should sell it.

Top Bottom