• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    my youngest boy is 19. he is wanting his lifetime LTCH. I was under the impression that you need to be 21 in Indiana to apply for this. he says no, am I wrong? at 19, can he purchase a handgun from a gun store? just wondering. thanks for your help.:dunno:

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    Watch soon they'll raise the age to 26 since that is what is considered a "child" nowdays, go talk to a health insurance company if you doubt me.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Yep he can get a license. He cant buy a handgun from a gun store till hes 21, although he can buy a rifle or shotgun ,yah its lame. Its a federal law , the gca of 68' that established the age of buying a handgun i think, although im not quite sure on that part.

marrell1482

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    NWI
    I may be mistaken but I didn't think you could legally purchase a firearm from anyone even in a private sale unless you're twenty one? I know you can get your ltch but I thought your legal guardian had to purchase the firearm for you technically, and "gift" it to you?

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I may be mistaken but I didn't think you could legally purchase a firearm from anyone even in a private sale unless you're twenty one? I know you can get your ltch but I thought your legal guardian had to purchase the firearm for you technically, and "gift" it to you?

Yes, you are mistaken, see above, they are correct.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I'd be more concerned about the fact that you referred to your 19 yr old as a "Youngster". You would not have liked it at that age either . LOL.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    ....and that whole 18 for a license but can't buy ammo until 21 deal really chaps my butt. My oldest is fully trusted by Uncle Sam to hump an M249 SAW and lay down the hate or rock out with the M240B, M19, M203 and Ma Deuce but can't stop by Rural King on a day home and buy a box of .22's to shoot with his little brother.

Dirty Steve

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    ^these two are correct.I'm 19,I carry and own my P11 but have to have my parents buy ammo for me.

Wouldn't this be considered a straw purchase? Not something you want to admit to.

18 years old = able to obtain LTCH, able to purchase a rifle and rifle ammo from a FFL or private sale, able to purchase a handgun from a PRIVATE SALE and same for ammo.

21 years old = able to purchase handguns and handgun ammo from a FFL

Last edited:

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    No. Straw purchases have never applied to ammo that I'm aware of.

Thank you I looked at the USC. You are right there doesn't seem to be any law that applys to straw purchasing Ammo.

Apologies for my misunderstanding.

Top Bottom