• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Okay, here's the deal. My 88yr old, 105 pound relative has carried a S&W Mod 36 with a trigger job for years. It has a great, super smooth trigger, but after the last range outing declared the even the reduced recoil .38spl ammo was getting to be too much.

She fires my .22LR S&W 22A just fine, but would like to find her something more potent than a .22. I have a couple of .22 revolvers, but the DA trigger pull is too heavy.

Looking for recommendations on a revolver or semi with less recoil than a .38 and a light trigger pull. Primary use is home defense and the occasional range outing.

Is a Beretta Tomcat .32 worthwhile???

Edit:Thanks for the advice so far, but I should have been more specific in the OP. A bigger revolver will not work as she does still carry when she goes out. She doesn't go out very much, but her Mod36 is usually in her fanny pac when she does. Need a small revolver or semi.
    Something like a Bersa .380 might work, anyone have both a Bersa and a 2" .38 revolver? How does the recoil compare?

Last edited:

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Personally, I like the tomcat, and think it's great for people who are unable to use the larger calibers. The tip up barrel negates the hard to grip slide. I use mine as an occasional CC piece or a BUG.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'd recommend not going for such a small of a frame if it is primarily for home defense. They are harder to be accurate with.

Just throwing an idea out there since I have no experience with them: How about 22mag and the Keltec PMR-30? It comes with fiber-optic sights which are much easier to see.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    It might sound counter intuitive, but you might try a single action Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk with aftermarket hammer and trigger springs. The extra weight will help her manage recoil while the aftermarket springs will reduce cocking these single action firearms.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I too am a fan of the Beretta Tomcat. I have one on my ankle now with added wood grips which make it slightly thicker and more comfortable. Maybe a larger frame, NON-fixed barrel .380 like a Beretta 84/85 or LC380.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    CZ 83. Available in .32 or .380. Good capacity and heft. Low recoil.

CZ-USA -> CZ 83

Beretta 84/85 is a good suggestion too. However, I don't think the Cheetahs are still produced.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Revolver would possibly be easier to work if hand strength is an issue. Charter arms has come out with a .380 snuby. If you look, a 327 federal or a 32 H&R revolver in small frame should be fairly easy to handle with the 32 H&R loads, and if that is still too much, switch to 32 s&W loads, all should fit in the same revolver. The other plus side, if a revolver is the platform that she is used to, then there shouldnt be too much of a learning curve to return to her current proficiency.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    CZ 83. Available in .32 or .380. Good capacity and heft. Low recoil.

CZ-USA -> CZ 83

Beretta 84/85 is a good suggestion too. However, I don't think the Cheetahs are still produced.

The CZ-83 is no longer imported either, but there were recently a slew of CHEAP surplus models in .380 acp on gunbroker. Like $229 for the best condition. However, while it is all steel, the CZ is still a blowback which will have a little more recoil than the Beretta. Not much difference though.

Rajo's in Evansville has a like new two tone Beretta 84 (13 shot) but it is around $590.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    She could go with a bigger gun, like a 4 inch 38 revolver, which will have much less recoil I'd think.

I doubt she could rack a slide or fiddle with magazines, and if she is already familiar with revolvers, then I wouldn't change that recipe. Make sure you test some bullets to find the ones with the least recoil too. That makes a big difference. I think the larger grain bullets usually feel softer in 9mm, for example.

Granny would have to have a big cowboy holster, but she would look bad***! :chuck:

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Personally, I like the tomcat, and think it's great for people who are unable to use the larger calibers. The tip up barrel negates the hard to grip slide.

I agree, they are great little pistols for what they are. In my experience, They shoot better with lighter bullets vs the 71 gr. range ammo.(which is stated in the manual as well.)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Does she still have wooden stocks on the revolver? Perhaps simply swapping to a Hogue rubber mono-grip (which would make the recoil less jarring) might let her keep carrying the gun she is already used to and likes?

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    What about a chiappa rhino in .38? I understand the recoil is not an issue in that particular firearm? I've not had any personal experience with them. But I have watched several reviews that were impressive.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    A .22 should not be dismissed automatically. My wife can't handle even a light .38 and she ended up with a Walther P-22. Not only is she not scared of it, she loves shooting it and is deadly with it. The gun hold 11 rounds with one in the pipe and she dumps them in a target faster than you can say it.

Like the old saying goes, a .22 that hits its target is more effective than a .44 Mag that misses.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    She is currently using a reduced recoil Federal Premium PD. It's pretty light, but some wadcutters might be worth looking at.

That is a good idea, wadcutters are pretty light, nearly 38 S&W light, but still a force to recon with. combine that with the neat .357 holes that they cut, its sure to cause serious trauma to anyone with the misfortune of getting in their way.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    That is a good idea, wadcutters are pretty light, nearly 38 S&W light, but still a force to recon with. combine that with the neat .357 holes that they cut, its sure to cause serious trauma to anyone with the misfortune of getting in their way.

I like the idea of that combined with Manatee's nomination of a lighter-sprung Ruger single-action. Low recoil, easy to manage, light and crisp trigger for great accuracy.

A blackhawk in .357 loaded with .38 wadcutters would be both light recoiling and sledgehammer penetrating.

jmo

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Does she still have wooden stocks on the revolver? Perhaps simply swapping to a Hogue rubber mono-grip (which would make the recoil less jarring) might let her keep carrying the gun she is already used to and likes?
    This!
    My wife hated the original grips on the M36.
    A set of Pachmyrs made a wold of difference.

Top Bottom