• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    This is from the City of Goshen - FAQs | City of Goshen - (I wish INGO had a FAQ)

I just came across this recently so I'm not sure if this is new or has been on their site for a while.

Technically the Police Dept. is giving permission to carry firearms into their station. Unloaded............to be registered............but permission just the same.

Anyone hear of other towns doing this "Service"?

By having a "registered handgun" will it come with a "registration card" that you can then give to the officer on a stop to keep him from disarming you, sweeping the world and running the numbers all for "officers safety"?

Maybe it's a set-up. :D

Am I required to register my handgun?
    Handgun registration is not required in the state of Indiana but it is highly recommended.There is no cost to register your handgun. Registering your handgun can assist in the investigation, identification and/or recovery of a lost or stolen firearm.To register your firearm, bring your unloaded firearm to the Goshen Police Department during regular business hours.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I know quite a few towns do this. I don't really get how giving your serial number to the police ahead of time will help them recover it if it stolen, but whatever.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    Yes, also if you provide a DNA sample we can enter it into a national database to prevent anyone from trying to falsely accuse you of whatever. Just a little cheek swab, that's all, and you can get a free membership card into this exclusive club.

ubertux

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Tell City
    Nah it won't come with a registration card, just a bright yellow patch you will be required to wear, you know like in the holocaust.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    This has been on the books for awhile. Part of a few people's plan on keeping an eye on the gun population so that they know where to confiscate them from.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Can you elaborate for me? Whose insurance, and why would they be concerned?

It was not uncommon some years agao to have a "store gun" in a business (hardward store, banks, liquor stores, grocery, etc.). The store gun was often registered with the police in case it was missing or in a fire.

I recall my grandfather talking about filling out the "registration card" for a pistol that was at the hardware store.

As well, collectors would (sometimes) register high profile guns with the police in case the collectors home was lost in a fire.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    It was not uncommon some years agao to have a "store gun" in a business (hardward store, banks, liquor stores, grocery, etc.). The store gun was often registered with the police in case it was missing or in a fire.

I recall my grandfather talking about filling out the "registration card" for a pistol that was at the hardware store.

As well, collectors would (sometimes) register high profile guns with the police in case the collectors home was lost in a fire.

:+1:

mconnery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Richmond, IN.
    As a Police Officer, while serving as a Detective, investigating several burglaries where firearms were taken, I developed a form that we as a department would give to gun owners to register their make, model, serial number, caliber. We did not collect this form; rather we had the owner keep them. It is somewhat amazing how many people do not keep the information. Granted this was in the 80's where computers were not as prevalent households. I was actually able to recover and return some stolen guns to the owners when recovered, some would not be able to have been returned with no serial numbers to go on.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Nah it won't come with a registration card, just a bright yellow patch you will be required to wear, you know like in the holocaust.

Now your just being silly, there are other colors besides yellow too.

badges.jpg

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I know quite a few towns do this. I don't really get how giving your serial number to the police ahead of time will help them recover it if it stolen, but whatever.

This works the same way that registering automobiles, ALA license plates, has stopped auto theft.

That worked, didnt it?

0scarM!ke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    its to much info for big brother to have in my opinion. Every time i buy a gun...they run a check...good enough!

Top Bottom