Handgun registration & permit to carry....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PenPhoto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    I'm looking for some help in order to track down the firearms my father owned prior to his death. They were being stored at a friends house, and some have come up missing. I'm not sure where to start, since I know that Indiana does not require registration. I wasn't sure if you filed a permit to carry, if you had to list the handgun that would be specifically carried, and what agency I would need to contact in order to find out this information. I don't live in the state, so any information would be extremely helpful.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Sorry about your luck. No such thing required for obtaining permit. Ownership of gun not a requirement. I know a person who has a permit and has yet to own a gun..
    If you have the makes and models and s/n you could report them lost /stolen

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    My condolences on the passing of your father.

You are correct about there being no registration requirement.
    The same goes for LTCH holders, There is no requirement to list the firearms.

If you dont have any records on the firearm(s) it will make things difficult. If it a family friend that has had control of them, I don't which route you want to take.
    If it was stolen from him, a report should be filed. If it wasn't, I think a report should be filed as well, unless the "friend" can give you good reason why they are "missing".

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    My condolences on the passing of your father.

You are correct about there being no registration requirement.
    The same goes for LTCH holders, There is no requirement to list the firearms.

If you dont have any records on the firearm(s) it will make things difficult. If it a family friend that has had control of them, I don't which route you want to take.
    If it was stolen from him, a report should be filed. If it wasn't, I think a report should be filed as well, unless the "friend" can give you good reason why they are "missing".
    ^This^ I would bring it up to the friend and tell them you are thinking about reporting the missing firearms without coming right out and accusing them of anything and see what their reaction would be.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    With no serial #'s you might not have a chance to get them back.

Still, your friend doesn't know that. I am not saying it was him, but, if you tell him you are gonna report them stolen and provide the serial #'s to the police, there is a chance they may re-appear....just saying.

dlkcolt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Carmel
    IN carry

IN is an easy state for gun ownership, you can sell as private collection with out registering and those guns could have changed hands many times.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Unfortunately for you, no registration of guns in Indiana. But like others have said; threaten said friend with litigation if he can't find those misplaced guns, see what happens.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Welcome to INGO, BTW.

And my condolences.

I concur with the previous posters. But just to offer another avenue...are you sure your dad didn't give them away already? What does this friend say when you point out you believe some are missing? Not knowing the dynamics of the relationship(s), it would be a shame to wrongly accuse somebody.

Good luck.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Legally you could have a legal case against your family friend, Even if they were stolen from that individual. You would have to prove that they were negligent with the handling/storing/securing the firearms for you. Thus, losing them or theft, if not in a proper gun safe could potentially be classified as gross negligence. Thus, entitling you to appropriate remedies. Unfortunately, it would be awarded most likely in the form of money and not the actual items. This would be helpful if you had photographs of such weapons, make and model info, and condition. Although photographs sometimes can be hard to say the internals look like.. but still.

*I am not a lawyer. I also am not a person who wishes to sue happy.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Not anything I can add that will help the OP, but this is a prime example of why it is a good idea to keep a detailed record of our guns. Keeping this in a secure place with other important documents would eliminate this situation if our heirs found there selves in the same situation.

Top Bottom