• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scottcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2016
    Avon
    Hey guys! Hope everyone is having a successful early deer season. Just thought I'd get a shout out to my fellow Hoosiers and see how everyone's deer season is going. I'm heading to florida for the weekend for my birthday. I hope it distracts me from the Ltch wait game I'm playing !!! Be safe in the woods and best of luck ya. Oh and just in case y'all were interested I haven't got a deer yet. I'm hunting in gosport I've seen some decent does and a buck that was too far. Ready for this cooler weather when I get back!! Take care everyone and I hope you have a great weekend !

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Got out late, snuck back, and climbed into old stand. Waited 5 mins and hit grunt call.
    Birds flew towards me from the nasty part of the thicket so I got ready.
    Decent doe and fawn come up on high side, too much crap for a shot, but if they hit the other path, I got 'er.
    Beans and corn cut. Saw movement and along comes about a 135# (dressed) 8 pt with funky rack.
    He's right on her and she goes into bean field and he pushes her and the fawn all the way across.
    There's a roll to the field and the deer run where they can't be seen.....they took it right along the roll for 300 yards, no stopping.
    I gotta cut a small tree or two out of the way to be able to pop them at the intersection.
    Got down to see what needed cleared and cut a MONSTER track in the field.
    In the thicket, just one side, multiple rubs, one on a decent thigh diameter tree (close to my gun stand). Several scrapes.
    One dead scrape smelled just like that HS "Buck rut" wafer stuff. The others were tore up, but didn't stink of anything.
    That big track..........I gotta let anything under 125" net walk in bow now.
    So the ugly 8 pt is super safe.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I left my camera in the truck, sure was pretty out there this morning.
    I shoulda brought a camo pillow, if so I'd be asleep on the oak flat (other side of woods).
    Wind direction, early activity, buddy on other side.........the only deer in were the ones I saw.
    If the wind dies off, then we could get 'em from the other direction.
    Today it was one way only. So we checked other stands and my buddy said he wouldn't sleep in tomorrow.
    Best sign this early, in years.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I was watching rocky raccoon this morning when I saw a big body six pointer walking 75-85 yards back in the woods. His head was down and I got no response when I gave a grunt and started rattling softly. Maybe should have done something different. A spike came cursing up shortly after, I bumped the ladder with my bow getting turned around in the stand. Gonna give it a few days and go back out.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    I walked up on a doe on the way out. It was a really neat experience. She didn't even run away. I could have shot her with ease but she just watched me and I couldn't do it. Cool to watch. I've never had one not run when I've walked up on it like that.

kestrel4000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    After several mornings / evenings of seeing nothing. Or watching the does get close and then turning tail and running. SUCCESS!!

20161023_112325.jpg
    20161023_112213.jpg

And to top it off it was my first deer ever. Took him on my own property. Made for one great Sunday :)

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    After several mornings / evenings of seeing nothing. Or watching the does get close and then turning tail and running. SUCCESS!!

View attachment 50803
    View attachment 50804

And to top it off it was my first deer ever. Took him on my own property. Made for one great Sunday :)

Nice deer! Hope you know, you just spoiled yourself rotten. Some guys don't ever kill one that big...let alone with a bow, and as their first deer ever :)

Enjoy the moment!

Congrats!

kestrel4000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Nice deer! Hope you know, you just spoiled yourself rotten. Some guys don't ever kill one that big...let alone with a bow, and as their first deer ever :)

Enjoy the moment!

Congrats!

Yeah I know that I will probably not see another like this real soon. Was so excited to be so successful on a bow hunt. Definitely more satisfaction taking him up close with a bow vs 60+ yards with a rifle. He was a tough old boy, made it about 700 feet with 8" of arrow broke off in him through both lungs. Left almost no blood trail, actually only found 2 spots since the arrow didn't make it out the opposite side.

Top Bottom