• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    To paraphrase the good Dr.: my weakness of will might keep me from kicking the living !@#$ out of Dr. Liao but after a few beers I might overcome that weakness.
    How on earth can someone like this be so morally bankrupt and inhuman? Better he take an overdose of his own pills and remove his carbon footprint from the world completely. sheesh!

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    To paraphrase the good Dr.: my weakness of will might keep me from kicking the living !@#$ out of Dr. Liao but after a few beers I might overcome that weakness.
    How on earth can someone like this be so morally bankrupt and inhuman? Better he take an overdose of his own pills and remove his carbon footprint from the world completely. sheesh!

...and have tenure at a major US university?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Heck, even the author of the paper says "it’s a preposterous idea". He is a Bio-ethics professor. His "job" is to look for problems that fit his solutions, and float odd-ball ideas.

He even admits to starting with a false premise or two (Anthropogenic climate change is real, behavior changes will never work, market solutions will never work, and geo-engineering is too dangerous).

So, he puts together a little thought game, publishes it, and woo-hoo! Hits on his website! He is relevant!

BTW: Linkage to actual article:
    I

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Well, except for the fact that the proposed drugs don't exist (yet), ObamaCare is on track to attempt to force people to take recommended drugs if they want their health care paid for. It's not a stretch to see the government mandate any type of drug they want us to take once they get their big feet in the door of our personal health choices.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    This idea is quite peculiar, but if you follow the link to the interview in the Atlantic, you'd discover that the story has been sensationalized. There isn't much science, and there is no dictatorship. It's more akin to sci-fi. The whole thing seems to be some sort of thought experiment that could translate into a Hollywood movie.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    This idea is quite peculiar, but if you follow the link to the interview in the Atlantic, you'd discover that the story has been sensationalized. There isn't much science, and there is no dictatorship. It's more akin to sci-fi. The whole thing seems to be some sort of thought experiment that could translate into a Hollywood movie.

The notion of thinking this way at all is indeed 'quite peculiar' as you accurately state.

The fact that this guy has been given any press time at all is (IMO) indicative of the post-modern thought process that says nothing is right and nothing is wrong, it's just our opinion that matters. This type of thought process is evil and fascistic and too often yields the same in terms of behavior.

It's a thought process and a movie now, but in a few years it has been out there enough that it becomes somewhat normative and after that deemed more and more acceptable.

These concepts are beyond the pale and are repulsive.

:twocents:

Top Bottom