Harvesting garden-grown sweet potatoes: curing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Hit the garden first thing this morning to get the sweet potatoes out. Not too many, but enough to compliment a few meals and to have learned alot about how to do a better job next year!

My question for any of you sweet potato veterans...I've watched the youtube videos and read articles about letting them cure. But I don't have any room in the house that is 80-90 degrees and sunny all day long, as most of them recommend.

Is any dry place in the house good enough to cure for a week or so if I put them on a few dinner plates?

Thanks!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Whut?

We gently harvest them, brush off what dirt we can, then wrap them individually in newspaper, and pack them vertically in 1/2 Bu baskets. Take 'em directly to the cellar that way, and they last almost until spring. Done.

-Nate

lfacfp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Berne
    Sweet potatoes are to picked and stored with minimal handling. The sugar moves through the potato with each rotation/movement in storage and this causes it to not be as good and spoil quicker. I agree with pick them, pack them and leave them alone in the basement until ready to cook with them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I had a big harvest last year that tasted great all the way through this spring. I just sprayed them off thoroughly with the hose. Let them dry in the sun and bulk packed them in covered boxes. I kept them tucked in a cranny in the kitchen using as needed.

Top Bottom