Has anyone installed a binary trigger in an ar?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    There is play where I can slide selector switch a bit. If I slide all the way towards right side of gun then it moved easier. It did this without the detent in. Yes it’s an 80% lower it’s done with a 5d tactical and I’m pretty good at them now. Attached the best pics I can get.

Attachments

• 9392C31B-D270-402E-B0B6-8EA0B362C956.jpeg
      9392C31B-D270-402E-B0B6-8EA0B362C956.jpeg
      1.6 MB · Views: 9
    • 07BFA06C-4853-4335-A1B2-FEA39530DDF0.jpeg
      07BFA06C-4853-4335-A1B2-FEA39530DDF0.jpeg
      1.6 MB · Views: 10
    • 03AB4CEB-D492-41A4-8828-1439FB7BD41C.jpeg
      03AB4CEB-D492-41A4-8828-1439FB7BD41C.jpeg
      1.4 MB · Views: 10
    • C4227A8F-E3B6-4927-87C8-E3FCBB37D9EC.jpeg
      C4227A8F-E3B6-4927-87C8-E3FCBB37D9EC.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 9
    • 540BEE23-9B7B-43B8-9E51-0B4D504A1607.jpeg
      540BEE23-9B7B-43B8-9E51-0B4D504A1607.jpeg
      1.7 MB · Views: 8
    • 72C2680B-0FD7-4CF7-B0B0-11FBF1FB4133.jpeg
      72C2680B-0FD7-4CF7-B0B0-11FBF1FB4133.jpeg
      1.9 MB · Views: 8
    • 58851A34-A2D9-4C6C-9CC0-C554860219AA.jpeg
      58851A34-A2D9-4C6C-9CC0-C554860219AA.jpeg
      2.6 MB · Views: 7

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I tried to smooth out my mil spec trigger when I got done it was very smooth and it fired when pulling and with great astonishment when releasing the trigger. I played with it for a few mags and then took it put and ordered in a LaRue trigger. I still don’t know what I did to cause that maybe a gunsmith here knows what I did wrong. Or if you want a binary trigger without a selector switch it might be right in that case.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I tried to smooth out my mil spec trigger when I got done it was very smooth and it fired when pulling and with great astonishment when releasing the trigger. I played with it for a few mags and then took it put and ordered in a LaRue trigger. I still don’t know what I did to cause that maybe a gunsmith here knows what I did wrong. Or if you want a binary trigger without a selector switch it might be right in that case.
    Yea. I think I need to smooth out the hole on both sides. And then smooth out the part of the trigger that hits the switch. It’s rubbing which is why it’s so hard to turn.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Yea. I think I need to smooth out the hole on both sides. And then smooth out the part of the trigger that hits the switch. It’s rubbing which is why it’s so hard to turn.
    Okay. So I got things moving smoothly. But when I do the safety checks, things aren’t working like they should. Safety is good. Semi works like it should. But when put in binary and I keep the trigger pulled and recock, and when I let go of the trigger, the hammer doesn’t fall forward. I even took out the safety selector as it’s supposed to work in binary without the selector. And it still doesn’t fire again when letting off of the trigger.

any advise? May have to call Franklin I guess.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Okay. So I got things moving smoothly. But when I do the safety checks, things aren’t working like they should. Safety is good. Semi works like it should. But when put in binary and I keep the trigger pulled and recock, and when I let go of the trigger, the hammer doesn’t fall forward. I even took out the safety selector as it’s supposed to work in binary without the selector. And it still doesn’t fire again when letting off of the trigger.

any advise? May have to call Franklin I guess.
    Are you trying it in live fire or dry fire?

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Dry fire. It’s a new gun never even had ammo.
    I tried to manipulate one of mine in dry fire and couldn't get it to work as I thought it would. Held the hammer and pulled trigger, let the hammer fall slowly, still holding trigger I pushed hammer back and released hammer and it wouldn't fall. Tried it with live ammo and it worked as it should.
    Not sure what is your issue just trying to share what I encountered.

FWIW, that why the BFS came assembled with the short pins in both the trigger and hammer so you could just put into place and push the short pins out with your regular pins as you install them. But.. that's in the past and hindsight is 20/20 but remember that in the future if you get another.

I would call Franklin and have them walk you through the install piece by piece.

I have put 1 in a 9mm AR pistol and 1 in a 300blk AR pistol and used the spring and buffer included with the trigger and havnt had a single issue. They are a blast (no pun intended) to shoot. They have since found new homes but were very fun while I had them.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I tried to manipulate one of mine in dry fire and couldn't get it to work as I thought it would. Held the hammer and pulled trigger, let the hammer fall slowly, still holding trigger I pushed hammer back and released hammer and it wouldn't fall. Tried it with live ammo and it worked as it should.

FWIW, that why the BFS came assembled with the short pins in both the trigger and hammer so you could just put into place and push the short pins out with your regular pins as you install them. But.. that's in the past and hindsight is 20/20 but remember that in the future if you get another.

I would call Franklin and have them walk you through the install piece by piece.

I have put 1 in a 9mm AR pistol and 1 in a 300blk AR pistol and used the spring and buffer included with the trigger and havnt had a single issue. They are a blast (no pun intended) to shoot. They have since found new homes but were very fun while I had them.
    Talked to Franklin. Very nice place. Was nice to get a human first thing on the phone. He said it’s probably a clearance issue. And to try a different hammer. I am gonna try that and if not then do a little light sanding. It’s catching on the front of the trigger piece and the bottom hook of the hammer.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis

Yea I followed the install pretty well. The ids spring did pop out the first time. But I got it fixed. And they luckily send a spare. I swapped it out to be safe.

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    Talked to Franklin. Very nice place. Was nice to get a human first thing on the phone. He said it’s probably a clearance issue. And to try a different hammer. I am gonna try that and if not then do a little light sanding. It’s catching on the front of the trigger piece and the bottom hook of the hammer.
    I think you are on the right track. I did a quick functions check on both of mine and in the "binary/echo" selection you can hear the hammer drop after running the bolt as if a round fired.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I think you are on the right track. I did a quick functions check on both of mine and in the "binary/echo" selection you can hear the hammer drop after running the bolt as if a round fired.
    Still no luck. I don’t think it’s a clearance issue. When letting go of the trigger and expecting the hammer to fall forward, it catches on the far bottom notch on the hammer and onto the trigger.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Still no luck. I don’t think it’s a clearance issue. When letting go of the trigger and expecting the hammer to fall forward, it catches on the far bottom notch on the hammer and onto the trigger.
    I'm surprised Franklin didn't tell you that you can't install one in an 80%, it's all over the instructions. Like me though, it looks like you ignored that part. :) I believe your clearance issue could be the bottom of the pocket is not milled deep enough toward the rear. I've had that on a couple I made. I thought I had them to spec but the rear of the trigger bar said otherwise.

ETA; IIRC when setting mine up the safety checks didn't work out on dry fire either, or I had to hold my mouth just right, or something.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I ordered some new infernal springs. Hopefully this fixes it. It’s not releasing the top hook on the hammer before it grabs the bottom. Tried a spare hammer and filing it down but that didn’t work.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I'm surprised Franklin didn't tell you that you can't install one in an 80%, it's all over the instructions. Like me though, it looks like you ignored that part. :) I believe your clearance issue could be the bottom of the pocket is not milled deep enough toward the rear. I've had that on a couple I made. I thought I had them to spec but the rear of the trigger bar said otherwise.

ETA; IIRC when setting mine up the safety checks didn't work out on dry fire either, or I had to hold my mouth just right, or something.
    Well I do have the 5d mill, and lots of people online saying that it worked fine.

could be something is just out of spec a little. If the springs don’t fix it, then I’ll just buy a giesselle. Hopefully I can recoup $$ some out of the bfs.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    This is exactly what mine is doing. It’s grabbing on the bottom hook on the hammer. I’m hoping a new ids spring will make the top hook release a bit quicker and it will work. Saw some comments on there saying a new ids spring fixed theirs. What a hassle.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    This is exactly what mine is doing. It’s grabbing on the bottom hook on the hammer. I’m hoping a new ids spring will make the top hook release a bit quicker and it will work. Saw some comments on there saying a new ids spring fixed theirs. What a hassle.

I remember that happening some, can't remember why, but whenever I've fired it it worked (or it was on me if it didn't).
    Are you willing to live fire it?
    Not familiar with the 5d mill.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I remember that happening some, can't remember why, but whenever I've fired it it worked (or it was on me if it didn't).
    Are you willing to live fire it?
    Not familiar with the 5d mill.
    5d is just a very nice jig to mill the lower. Turns out nice compared to the old ways I guess. I’m going to replace the springs and see if it helps.

I have to take it to a range to test so I try to make those trips planned.

Top Bottom