has anyone transported their class three across state lines lately??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomaustin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    how has the notice to transport worked with batfe...did they approve in a reasonable time frame and what time did they take? i have a trip to the arizona shoot coming in october and need to plan ahead...thanks in advance...tom

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Reasonable is a relative term. If you send your forms in now you may get them back in time. Don't waste time wondering online. We can't help you so get them sent off. You have a date on the form for your trip and you can send in forms a year in advance. If you make repeated trips to the same place you can send in the form for repeated visits and its good for one year. If you're going to do the Wikiup shoot next spring and fall put them on there too so you don't have to fiddle with the forms again til after you don't need them. That keeps things from being urgent. With the backup of forms in the NFA branch its anybodys guess how long it will take so get it done.

Frank

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    For what it's worth, when I last filled out a set in December they had them back to me in under a week. Backed up or not, interstate transport never seems to take very long.

That said, send them in now. Far better to get it done early than late in this case...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've had my suppressor in OH several times... And I've never filled out any of that silly paperwork... :whistle:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've had my suppressor in OH several times... And I've never filled out any of that silly paperwork... :whistle:

Not sure if you're being serious... Interstate transport Paperwork isn't required for silencers...

in Jan, I got a couple -20s turned around in about 10 days. Not sure what it takes currently....

-rvb

tomaustin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    frank, yes, Wikiup. the form asks for a destination address...if you have been to the shoot, you know there isn't actually a local address. what would you use? also, for multiple shoots, can i put them on the same form or just send in multiple requests at the same time ??? thanks for the help.....tom

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Sent in a 5320.20 in April to take my SBR's to IL and it took almost 3 months door to door. I'd send them in NOW.

If there are recurring places that you go, just send in a set in the fall for the next calendar year. They will approve travel for a 365 day period. This way you're covered for all of your regular places. I go to IL, WI and MN, so those get sent in each fall.

tomaustin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    btw, what about the destination address.....if i am traveling around in AZ as i expect to do, what do they want on the form???

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    It took mine about six weeks earlier this year. Was going to take a class in Texas, but had to cancel because the forms didn't come back before I had to leave. The approved form showed up the day the class started.....

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    btw, what about the destination address.....if i am traveling around in AZ as i expect to do, what do they want on the form???
    Pick somewhere you will be and put that address down. An approved form will allow you to travel anywhere in the state. Lots of people pick a public range. I usually have a place I mostly go in each state and put that address down.

tomaustin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    thanks.....i will be staying several nights in kingman and driving to the range each day......kingman it is.......

Dave M

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    The last 5320.20 I filled out (2 months ago or so) was 8 days, mailbox to mailbox. Generally they are very efficient. Never had one take more than a month and have heard of even faster turn-arounds than I have had.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Mine always used to take almost exactly two weeks mailbox-to-mailbox. I hope the last one that took 3 months was an anomaly.

They were probably so surprised to see a request to take NFA stuff to Illinois that they didn't know what to do with it. ;)

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Here is what I do.

Take the suppressors without consent. None needed.

I fill out the form for Class 3 every December and fill in the date for one year. I do this every year so I can take it to my cabin when I want.

tomaustin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    again, good info guys.......now consider this--traveling to multiple states throughout the year "will/will not" require separate 20's?? then, if the answer is "will", if applied for the period of a year each December, there will be overlapping travel periods throughout the year. true/false...and, will they approve such a schedule ????

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    again, good info guys.......now consider this--traveling to multiple states throughout the year "will/will not" require separate 20's?? then, if the answer is "will", if applied for the period of a year each December, there will be overlapping travel periods throughout the year. true/false...and, will they approve such a schedule ????

If you're just traveling through, with stops only incidental to travel (food, gas, overnight lodging), you don't need a separate 5320.20 for each state. If you will be stopping off in the state for any length of time, you would need a separate one.

If you put a date range on the form, it is valid for as many trips as you'd like during that date range. That's what I do. In the fall I file 5320.20's for each state where I go to shoot and use a 1/1-12/31 date range. This covers me for any and all travel to that state for the year.

tomaustin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    well, that is a plan....yearly, i have 3 potential states for shooting activities...i will apply for a 20 to each of them for a 12 month period and send them about mid-december...that does remind me that around thanksgiving i have a potential trip which could include firing full auto...gonna send another one tomorrow to cover that trip.....good stuff guys....many thanks...tom

Top Bottom