Has anyone tried the Timney trigger in an 870 Remington?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    Actually it is a spring set and new sear, but it is supposed to greatly improve the trigger pull / creep in the Rem 870 shotgun.

Anyone try it out? My trigger is awfully gritty feeling. But I don't want too light a pull weight.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have shot one in an 870 trap and they do greatly improve the trigger. It allows you to adjust the trigger weight, it comes with 3 spring weights, cleans up the trigger for a clean smooth release. I would recommend one for those with an 870 of recent manufacture.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    870 Timney

Thanks for the info. My 870 seems to have a "tightness" to it and feels somewhat gritty. I carefully polished a few areas in the trigger group, but didn't get as much improvement as I would like.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I put one in my dedicated slug gun. Wow - what a difference. Worth every penny. Do yourselves a favor and get one asap - you will be amazed when you get ready for deer season. Almost makes it like shooting a decent rifle trigger.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    To be honest, I don't even know! All I know is that the creep is gone. I can best describe it in saying that getting it to shoot is now an event compared to before when it was a process.

You get 3 different weight of springs to install, plus you have a hex-head adjustable screw to mess with. I put in the medium spring to start with. If I had to guess, I would say that we are in the 5 pound range. IMO, the weight is not the important part of a hunting gun if you have a system with minimal creep. I plan on trying the lighter spring sometime this summer, but may just skip it. I don't want to have a gun that I typically shoot with gloves on to have a really light trigger, anyway.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    On Midway's web site I found instructions for the installation of the Timney 870 kit. It stated the following:
    "Replace old sear spring with new Timney sear spring of choice.
    (Red 4 Pound , White 3 Pound, Blue 2 Pound)"

Top Bottom