Has "when children present" been defined?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I see it at least twice every day.

You know the signs: School Zone. Speed limit 25mph when children present"

What the heck does that mean? When they're present IN school? Random kids walking along the sidewalk next to the school?

All day, every day when school's in session?

What the heck does this mean?

*My route to and from work takes me directly in front of Greenwood High School (and an elementary school on the same property). They have the above signage to the east and west of the property.

MY own "rule" for handling this is: School day: between the hours of 6:30am and 4:30pm, I'm going 25mph. Other hours of the school day, I go the "regular" speed of 30mph. Non school days = 30mph.

What I like better are other signs that say "Speed limit 25 mph between 6:00 - 8:30am and 2:00-4:30pm".

What say ye?

-J-

fire1035

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    If there are kids walking on by that street on a school day then I go 25, otherwise regular speed limit.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    "..when children are present..." = If you SEE kids, they are "present"!

But what if I don't see them... But the po po that pulls me over does see them?

I've even heard of someone being pulled over on a summer day with the officer's excuse of "there's driver's ed going on". I have no way on earth to substantiate this, though...

i think you answered your own question. sounds like you have it all figured out, don't drive 30 on school days.

Yeah, I think that my "plan" is an OK one... But, again, what if an officer disagrees with me? What if it's the middle of summer and a baby sitter takes 5-6 kids to the playground at the elementary school? Children present...but not a school day.

To me, "When Children Present" is just too vague.

-J-

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    But what if I don't see them... But the po po that pulls me over does see them?

I've even heard of someone being pulled over on a summer day with the officer's excuse of "there's driver's ed going on". I have no way on earth to substantiate this, though...

Yeah, I think that my "plan" is an OK one... But, again, what if an officer disagrees with me? What if it's the middle of summer and a baby sitter takes 5-6 kids to the playground at the elementary school? Children present...but not a school day.

To me, "When Children Present" is just too vague.

-J-

heres what i do, i don't suggest this to everyone but i think it solves the problem. my in-laws live one block from the local high school and i have to pass by there to get to their house. the posted speed limit is 20 with the same sign "when children present". i drive 20 by there any day of the week even in the summer. after all, its only about 500 feet and i'm not looking to arrive at my in-laws any sooner than i have to. i try to never argue with the po po, since i have stood in their shoes, you'll seldom win on the spot and will probably have to fight it in court.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Let me get this straight.....

Regular speed limit = 30
    School speed limit = 25

Personally, I'd drive 25 all the time and not agonize over 5 MPH. I don't know why they even bothered with a "school zone" if the regular speed limit is only 5 MPH more than the school zone speed limit.

Do people really worry about this stuff? :):

Yep. Because I'm anal-retentive. And maybe, just maybe, a bit OCD. :D

And when that 5mph difference can mean being tailgated by aggressive drivers, I'd just as soon go 30 when I can so as to not potentially tick off any of the Greenwood Hillbillies and / or Soccer Moms.

I get honked at enough for going 32 in a 30 as I head towards I-65 on Smith Valley.

-J-

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I get honked at enough for going 32 in a 30 as I head towards I-65 on Smith Valley.

When this happens to me, I ease down to 25 or 20... the person honking is most likely also tailgating and is therefore creating an unsafe condition, so the reduced speed helps reduce the increased danger. I'll also ease to the right so they can pass illegally and be in front of me at the next three stop lights.

(oh yea, and I start waving my middle finger, not to mention my gun, at them :draw:... ok, not really)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    ^This mins the finger & gun. =)
    I've noticed that my behavior in driving has changed a lot since I got my "firearm permit" (yes I know its a license but I know some of you will foam at the mouth becuase I said permit) my driving is a lot slower and I really don't care if people pass me, tailgate me, honk at me, etc... If they are in such a hurry they can go around me. I tend to go 5 UNDER whatever the speed limit is posted now-a-days.

Now when Santa brings me a M1A1 Military Tank for christmass I'll say move out the way pepes cause I'll just run you over. LOL!!!

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    For the past 2 years I've been locking my car into cruise at exactly the speed limit. I've been honked at, passed while in a double yellow, given dirty looks at, they get in front of me then slow to a stop then lean out the window to yell at me, etc. I just laugh. So many crazy drivers have cause me to make dodging maneuvers I got to the point where the only way to get back at them was to drive by the law. I'd say the best thing to do in front of the school is to go the lowest speed posted. You are actually doing a good thing since who knows how fast the person behind you would've been driving without you. And lets face in, kids in general are idiots, please don't get upset. I just mean that they can dart out into the road out of nowhere at any time, and even more likely to be out & about near a school.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    During the school year in the daytime I usually avoid areas with schools
    and children present. People do not know how to drive they'll run
    up to the area and then slam on the brakes causing a flow problem.

Not to mention that during the warmer months there is a motor cop
    that sits one street back from the school zone on Washington St. and
    has "customers" every day. ;)

When children present is when you see them. You know kids are going to school in the morning and getting let out at noon or in the early afternoon
    so just slow down during the daytime and all should be well. I don't believe
    it would come into effect on the weekend with kids walking past the school, etc.

Top Bottom