• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warwagon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    NW Indiana
    3 days is far too little. I'm more comfortable with a year's worth.

If things 'break' and you need 3 days of food, the possibility that you need MUCH MORE is very very high.

Just a thought...

indyac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Hancock County
    I finally convinced my wife that now is the time to build up our supply. With everyhting going on in the world she agreed and we have been buying extra every week.

Like it was mentioned earlier, having 3 kids makes it more complex.

The other items that we are loading up on are personal care items like soap, hand sanitizer, and OTC medicines.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    I finally convinced my wife that now is the time to build up our supply. With everyhting going on in the world she agreed and we have been buying extra every week.

Like it was mentioned earlier, having 3 kids makes it more complex.

The other items that we are loading up on are personal care items like soap, hand sanitizer, and OTC medicines.
    Good for you! It is never too late. Congratulate her on the realization she has come across personally. Does she read these forums with you?

Personal care items are something that a lot of sheeple don't think about. Imagine going without them!! What a smelly house. Dont forget to rotate soap bars...they can have fats in them that can go rancid (depends on brands, etc), especially if you make your own lye soap.

Yes, you are quite correct about having complexities (3 kids)...are they old enough to help defend or tend garden. I would hope they have non-electric games/toys to play with if not.

Again, congrats. We may not need all the preparations for current crisis, but we will eventually I believe.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Agreed. Three days is a ridiculous minimum. Fourteen days is a more reasonable minimum for the sheeple.

A year's worth (or more!) is a good goal. Depending on the size of your family, this is a significant amount of food; like roughly on the order of #600/person/yr.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I keep SOS emergency ration bars and some MRE peanut butter packets in my truck.

If you're going to get ration bars, make sure you buy some and try them. I know it won't matter as much in an emergency, but why not get something you like if you have the chance? Also, if you don't use if for an emergency, eventually you will want to rotate your supplies. Eating something that is old but originally good is better than eating something that is old that sucked when it was new.

I posted a review of the three main brands of emergency ration bars in another topic. I found SOS to be superior to Mainstay (by a significant margin), and the Datrex straight-up sucks. Do not believe that Datrex and Mainstay are not thirst-provoking because they absolutely are. In fact, you will need water to swallow more than one of the little chuncks of the Datrex because it's so dry.

Top Bottom