• ...and so much more!
  • tazl3oy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    zionsville
    Ok first of sorry if i put this in the wrong place
    but im in security and looking to buy a crown vic and put strobes, wig wags on it but nothing crazy (red & blues)
    My q is can i have storbes on my car (white and maybe amber ) with bing a LEO or having any type of license?

Also i like to make mayself good karma by stoping with people on the side of the road
    If i where in that car and stoped to help someone put on all my strobes so we dont get hit would that be ok or would i go to jail for impersonating cop - remind you no red & blues just strobes...

thanks for all the info

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    By legal definition, You basically are not allowed to have red facing forward. That color is reserved for emergency vehicles.
    Green is legal, bust for the most part, unless you are a vol firefighter, I would avoid green and blue(medical).

Now, it is perfectly legal to have white and amber lights in your car, my friend has them in his truck for when he plows parking lots. We have also used the rear facing ones when stopping on the side of the road.

Here is the trick though, If you buy an old police car, and put strobes in it, You can, and likely will be questioned if you ever use them on the highway. Another friend of mine got in trouble for showing his lights off, ended up going to court, and being told he had to remove them, BUT he was just driving around with them on, acting like a jackass. If you just stick to the basics, headlights, tail lights, and don't go all crazy with strobes everywhere, you should be fine. But I am far from a lawyer so don't quote me on that.

-I wanted to add that the guy that had to remove his lights, drove a crown vic, that was a former police car, and when people saw the lights they would pull over for him.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    The only part of the law I have seen about white strobes and wigwags is part of the blue light law, stating that they may be used as supplemental devices and do not count toward the 4 unit limit.

Before you add anything to your car though, check company policy. They may frown upon that..

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom