Have faith brothers .223 ammo is coming back, and going down!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bthomas

Marksman
    Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Winchester
    My lgs has had 223 in stock for well over a week straight now at .65 and .60 a round PMC 55gr or golden bear. I catch walmart with 40 S&W about every other week. The price drops then it levels out, and drops again. I think it will get back to where it was.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    As prices stay high, new companies will emerge and undercut the competition.

Wolf was one of those companies. 11 years ago you could buy 1,000 round cases of 9mm, 7.62x39 and .223 for under $100 delivered all day long.

Will we see .35 .223 again? Barring any crazy new Senate approved small arms treaties, absolutely and without a doubt.

The only thing keep us from seeing 10 cent .223, 7.62 and 9mm again is the value of the US dollar and that has nothing to do with panic buying.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Will we see .35 .223 again? Barring any crazy new Senate approved small arms treaties, absolutely and without a doubt.

I agree. New US made 5.56 NATO was 35 - 38 cents just three months ago. How soon we forget. Even now it is 45 cents some places (when they get a shipment in, it doesn't last long).

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I agree that the price of ammo will come down, but not to the level it was before . Just like gas, they raise the price by 0.20 cents then later drop it back to 0.15 cents and everyone says, "alright! Gas prices dropped." But we still get gouged. It will be the same with the ammo. LGS are still going to gouge us, even when its back to normal.

kman1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    As prices stay high, new companies will emerge and undercut the competition.

Wolf was one of those companies. 11 years ago you could buy 1,000 round cases of 9mm, 7.62x39 and .223 for under $100 delivered all day long.

The only thing keep us from seeing 10 cent .223, 7.62 and 9mm again is the value of the US dollar and that has nothing to do with panic buying.

you are so right about the US dollar and the fact it is losing value everyday.
    this trend will continue until the Fed stops pumping money into the system.
    This is the same reason food and everything else that we as a society need to purchase for necessities continue to rise. Yet according to gov't stats inflation is only 2% per year.

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I agree that the price of ammo will come down, but not to the level it was before . Just like gas, they raise the price by 0.20 cents then later drop it back to 0.15 cents and everyone says, "alright! Gas prices dropped." But we still get gouged. It will be the same with the ammo. LGS are still going to gouge us, even when its back to normal.

I some what agree, we will probably see a 5 to 20% increase - for a while! Since I buy most of my ammo at GS's or Online in bulk, I doubt I will pay more than 5% rise in costs. May take a while to reach that level - but I (and many like me that stock quite a bit of ammo) can wait.

If necessary I will wait a year or so. Haven't bought any since last fall. There is a hell of a lot being produced and imported. It won't be too long till some of the distributors decide to drop prices to move the stock.

I normally buy in case lots or larger. Of course my son and I reload most everything - unless the Mil surplus or steel cased is cheaper than the reloading components.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    I have fired exactly 18 rnds. of .22.6rnds of .380,10 rnds of .44 since Dec.I refuse to pay the price of ammo as it is now.:xmad:

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    This last weekend I took my nephew shooting and took 223 out and decided to sight in my new scope for it. I took 2 mags and that was it.
    This past week while at one of my local shops, I joked "hey you got any 223" and to my total shock he looked around and chuckled and says "Yup, 10 box limit, $10 a box" I chuckled and said give me 2 boxes to replace what I shot up.

Then we had a conversation and he said its getting easier to get the ammo now than it is Guns! He had a nice CM9 that I really wanted, but couldn't bring myself to get it right then.

Overall I'm noticing that 223 is staying in stock longer but the prices are still around $1 a round and most of us just won't pay that. I'll pay $.5 a round, but not anything more than that if I can help it. I bought some Fiocchi 223 back around Christmas for $.5 a round and that was the last I bought. I had found some steel cased Wolf at a local shop for $.3 a round and grabbed up 5 boxes to just have (as I don't really shoot it) I figured if I needed it I would use it.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I reload. Rimfire ammo is my main need. If you shoot .17 hmr you seems to be good to go as I have seen it in stock still. All 22 still seeems to be gone till shipment. got a couple of 100 packs of mini mags at 7 something a box at an out of the way tackle store.

Bought a target 22 this late fall and noticed at the range it prefers 1050-1070 FPS ammo. All but 2 partial boxes of 50 is all I have that slow. Plenty of bulk, maxi-mags, federal 510, but nothing real slow.

Ammo and guns are not the only thing that has increased in price. Normal stuff like rings and scopes, leather slings, hard cases are up in price. Not overly inflated but still on the rise.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    There is no .22 ammo near me. Every store near me is out. What is the best online site?

You won't find it online very easy. You will have to be logged in to a supplier at the moment that its posted to get a shot of getting any. I've been homebound the last few days, so I've spent some time online looking for some CCI standard velocity. Got close once, it goes fast. 2 days ago, Luckygunner posted 99 cases(5000rds) for $420/case. I watched it sell out in 14 minutes.

762minigun

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indianapolis SS BG
    No it's not. Sorry hate to burst all your little bubbles.. Ammo is going to stay high for a while longer. Ammo flies off the shelf just as fast as it comes in with no end in sight. Firearms, and accessories are starting to comeback down slowly. ($700.00 Glocks in the classifieds :laugh: really?) Soon as the Kenyan get's back on TV talking more smack, the prices will sky rocket again going even higher.
    I hope all you gouger cry babies learned something from all this. Don't get caught with your pants down next time, and rest assured there will be a next time. It's called the free market. It's what separates us from the communists.

Freedom4all

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Martinsville
    It won't change until we the people of the United States of Amarica stand united just as we are able to and have the freedom to do. The main problem is that the majority of the masses would rather wait to see **** blow over rather then take a stand and protest actively for our rights. We must become "We the people" once again not we the people of our government.

Snavelybob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    It's already came down..... It's already better than the last month Better yet the last week... BUY WHAT YOU NEED!!! NOT WHAT YOU WANT !!! And sit on it!!! Spend some time with the kids! Shoot some skeet with your brother.... But just relax and let the b.s. pass

762minigun

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indianapolis SS BG
    It won't change until we the people of the United States of Amarica stand united just as we are able to and have the freedom to do. The main problem is that the majority of the masses would rather wait to see **** blow over rather then take a stand and protest actively for our rights. We must become "We the people" once again not we the people of our government.

And above all else stop being a freeloader and join the NRA!

Hoosierhunter97

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Some people probably did overspend - others will continue to do so. I can't live with myself shooting .223 for what it costs now, so I wait. But I wont hold my breath.

I've had to talk people away from the ledge. I know two people that have lots of disposable cash that want what they want - when they want it - and will buy it when they see it.

I can't do that. But I try to talk them into just waiting it out and not to waste their money - but they still just want to find out who will take their money.

Ditto that with all ammo cost right now. I went to a regional gun shop in Ohio who was unabashidly asking 11.00 a box for ..... Winchester 22 LR. unreal

Top Bottom