Have you ever accidentally laughed when you see a gun price.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    I used to laugh at Gander Mountain, until I realized they were serious :n00b:

They won't budge on those used prices, no matter how long they have sat in the case. Maybe that is just my experience with them

It was the same way for me. They wouldnt budge on their prices. Back in the day i tried to get them to come down on something and they woudnt and that gun sat there for over a year. It doesnt make much since to me. I know the mark up they have is rediculous anyhow. They couldve have way down and still made good money. Oh well, not my problem i guess.

piercedjp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I was once thrown out of Don's (or as I call it Don't) for laughing at the price of a gun. The clerk asked what I was laughing about and I said that he was selling gun for $400 over the MSRP. He called me an unprintable name and told me to get the hell out of the store. I loudly told him that I would be taking my business to Plainfield shooting supplies and anyone who wanted to save a few hundred dollars should do the same. Needless to say, a couple people followed me out and asked me where PSS was. I have never been back to Don's since.

jbrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Gas City, IN
    I remember laughing one time about 15 years ago. Walked into Don's Guns and they had a SKS on the wall with a price tag of 750. I asked if there was anything special about it and the guy looked at me like i was stupid and said no. I started laughing uncontrollably and just walked out. My guess is that was the price for a straw purchase or felon. :):

Want2ShootMore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Marion
    It wasn't a gun price but once I checked the price of a PMag at a gun show. The guy was standing right on the other side of the table and I laughed and told my buddy that the dealer must have solid silver springs to want that price.

Mayday671

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Monroeville
    If any of you are near Fort Wayne, come see us at Sniper Company. We are the cheapest around and our customer service is outstanding. We will treat you with respect and help you get what you want. No pressure and no price gouging, our prices are competative.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If any of you are near Fort Wayne, come see us at Sniper Company. We are the cheapest around and our customer service is outstanding. We will treat you with respect and help you get what you want. No pressure and no price gouging, our prices are competative.

Not to be a smart alec, but the $550 used saiga with 4 promags was on your shelf.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I beg to differ as well. Was looking at the reloading components and powder was up near $30/lb IIRC and Hornady XTP 44 cal bullets were quite high as well. Both prices were about $5 over Gander Mountain's already high prices. You should be able to beat their prices. I'd love to have a local place where I can buy reloading supplies at a decent price. I send way to much money to Midway...Larry Potterfield is constantly smirking at me in those catalogues.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Just so I'm clear, I completely understand that all pricing at local shops are going to be within a + or - range of what the market is. I wasn't trying to pick on Sniper Company as a store because from what I've seen so far you all have done a very good job of being competitive across the board and I think your prices are pretty reasonable. That's why when I originally brought up the discussion I didn't want to mention your companies name. The case I was referring to with the Saiga 223 was an isolated case and I would testify that it's the exception and not the rule. You guys have a great store, but when I saw that price I did experience some sticker shock and wanted to know how others have reacted in similar cases. I appologize if this has been taken offensively to your store, because I think you all do a good job and have brought something severly needed to Fort Wayne.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    Just so I'm clear, I completely understand that all pricing at local shops are going to be within a + or - range of what the market is. I wasn't trying to pick on Sniper Company as a store because from what I've seen so far you all have done a very good job of being competitive across the board and I think your prices are pretty reasonable. That's why when I originally brought up the discussion I didn't want to mention your companies name. The case I was referring to with the Saiga 223 was an isolated case and I would testify that it's the exception and not the rule. You guys have a great store, but when I saw that price I did experience some sticker shock and wanted to know how others have reacted in similar cases. I appologize if this has been taken offensively to your store, because I think you all do a good job and have brought something severly needed to Fort Wayne.

Rep on the way for being an individual of good character and integrity
    ;)

Last edited:

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    Thank you Teddy for stand -up about the evetn and not initially nameing us. . I was here when the gun was brought in. There was a madness to the method in pricing the gun. Figuring the value and priceing of a firearm can be tricky. We are still learning.

Mayday671

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Monroeville

Two things. 1. We have noticed some items that are overpriced. Mainly come s down to our cost. Some items we can not by in quantities like Gander or walmart. We are costantly trying to find better and cheaper suppliers. 2. Not all firearms in the store hve prices set by us. Many firearms are on consignment and the prices are set by the seller. If you find a cheaper price bring it in and we will try to beat it or match it. Our sales staff is here to serve you and provide you with good quality and prices. Just realize we have been open just two months so we are learning everyday.

rolodetective

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I usually laugh when I the store makes me an offer on one my pieces. I know they have to make money, but wow...., their offers are often times laughable.

Rolo

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    ^^^This^^^

Dons Guns and there $1000 Baby Eagle that can be purchased on Magnum Research website for around $650 or so and on Cheaper than dirt for around $550. They did offer 10% off though.

Cheaper than Dirt might end up being close to $1000 with their shipping fees.

Every show is worth the entry fee because of the laughs. Not that I haven't seen way over-priced ads in the classifieds on all boards I'm on. Usually just makes me head to a dealer to buy new instead of spending more on a used gun. I've seen plenty of used Gen 3 Glock 27s for more than I paid after tax (brand new). Several of those have been a substantial amount over what I paid as well. 2 extra mags doesn't make it worth $550-600 but people will try and some will make them happy by buying.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Took my son down to Bradis, partly for the experience, but bought a couple of things. On the way back, took him past Don's for a different experience. I didn't make a spectacle of myself, but showed him the things I'd just bought, priced $150-200 more than what I'd paid less than half hour before. I was trying to show him how sellers arenot all created equal, and a little shopping doesn't hurt.

vette3667

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    Just about every shop I've been to has everything priced high but at the same time will negotiate to something reasonable. I always start negotiating on the gun price and when I know there done there I start talking about selling me ammo at store cost. I have had some good luck with that approach.

ShaunB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN

Hey Teddy, thanks for the comments about our store.

I just wanted to add that while we were away at Shot Show some guns were bought buy my staff at a higher price than maybe they should have. This price shows as an inflated sticker price only b/c we purchased these guns from one of our customers off the street for high value.

We are usually known for being the lowest priced in town, best customer service, and we stay in our lane.

We compete nationally with CheaperThanDirt, Gander, Buds, and all the big name dealers. Our inventory in the store demmands a higher margin due to us paying to have it shipped to the store and paying for the product.

Pricing is always going to be changing, what we do different then some stores is if our distributors give us a deal then we pass that on to the customer. We do not raise our prices b/c Gander Mountain down the street sells the same product we do for more money.

Our product is priced to move but still keep the lights on. We are having our growing pain issues with keeping our inventory stocked. As soon as we resupply the stock is gone within a few days.

If you make it in to our store again, ask for me. I would like to meet you.

Top Bottom