Have you ever just had to show you're armed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • euby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    West Newton
    Was just sitting remembering an incident that happened to me quite a few years ago at lafayette square. I was home on leave for Christmas from the Corp. and my girl wanted to go shopping. We were walking down the mall and I see three male teenagers (I assume) walking toward us....well they were three across and taking up the whole walkway....we tried moving to one side and the one closest to me shoulders me hard as they walked by. Obviously on purpose, so I turned around around and said "Dude WTF" and his reply was "shut up MF'er or I'll put a cap in your ass" and made a pistol with his fingers. Well I just stopped and they turned and started walking back towards us. Well being a young Marine full of **** and vinager I told them to **** off and slid my coat back showing my G19 I had IWB. Well they couldn't get away fast enough which actually surprised me.... I was expecting big problems because they were of age to be packing. Gangs were just getting started in that area. Looking back now I realize how stupid I was and would just blow it off, but got me wondering.

Have you ever had to just show you were armed to defuse a situation?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Was just sitting remembering an incident that happened to me quite a few years ago at lafayette square. I was home on leave for Christmas from the Corp. and my girl wanted to go shopping. We were walking down the mall and I see three male teenagers (I assume) walking toward us....well they were three across and taking up the whole walkway....we tried moving to one side and the one closest to me shoulders me hard as they walked by. Obviously on purpose, so I turned around around and said "Dude WTF" and his reply was "shut up MF'er or I'll put a cap in your ass" and made a pistol with his fingers. Well I just stopped and they turned and started walking back towards us. Well being a young Marine full of **** and vinager I told them to **** off and slid my coat back showing my G19 I had IWB. Well they couldn't get away fast enough which actually surprised me.... I was expecting big problems because they were of age to be packing. Gangs were just getting started in that area. Looking back now I realize how stupid I was and would just blow it off, but got me wondering.

Yes, also in Lafayette, though I drew my weapon. And that is all I will say on the details of it.

fountainjl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    I haven't, but my uncle told me a funny story. He was stopped at an intersection in Houston and a bum wanted to clean his windshield for money. He told the guy no thanks and the bum wouldn't listen. As the bum proceeded to wash his windshield, he proceeded to tap his 44 mag on the glass. This got his attention. Needless to say, he left my uncle alone!

recon19d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Sierra Bravo November

Hahaha Thats a funny story and I can see myself in your shoes to a T, Were you infantry? Im a Scout in the Army and i tend to get a little eh.."aggressive" with those kinda punk ass kids when i go home, but with time,age and deployments i've managed to get myself in check a little more, especially when im with the wife, but sometimes ya do what ya gotta do. I dont think you were in the wrong in that situation in the least, if they were aggressing twords you. Where i come from thats simply called Escalation of force (Shout, show, shove, shoot, shoot) You said something, they responded negatively so you showed, and they ran. Situation complete and nicely done

euby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    West Newton
    Hahaha Thats a funny story and I can see myself in your shoes to a T, Were you infantry? Im a Scout in the Army and i tend to get a little eh.."aggressive" with those kinda punk ass kids when i go home, but with time,age and deployments i've managed to get myself in check a little more, especially when im with the wife, but sometimes ya do what ya gotta do. I dont think you were in the wrong in that situation in the least, if they were aggressing twords you. Where i come from thats simply called Escalation of force (Shout, show, shove, shoot, shoot) You said something, they responded negatively so you showed, and they ran. Situation complete and nicely done

Yea I was infantry at the time.....1st Recon. I had just come off 6 months in El Salvador training monkeys to shoot at their government, so society had been a rare thing for me then. I always wondered if they knew I was military because in those days if you had a high and tight there wasn't any doubt who you were. A lot of people still didn't respect or even like military personnel those days. Glad thats changed!!!

Thanks for your service!

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I had a rock glance off of my house and onto my truck one summer while I was outside. I live just next to a train track and a train was going by, so I figured the train kicked something up. I was actually rummaging around in the truck and was nearly hit by the rock. As the train passed, there were three teens just standing there staring at me. At this point, my dad came flying out of the house as he heard the rock hit. I pulled out my G23 and began swearing and walking down the driveway, as there were bushes between me and the teens. I didn't have to walk far before they began running faster than I've seen anyone run before. In my case, they may have seen the pistol, but I think the sound of clearing leather (and swearing) is what sent them on their way. I'm certainly not too intimidating by myself.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I hope I never have to. It sounds like you were completely justified. Their intentions were obviously to try and do you harm, perhaps mug you. It sounds to me like you DE-escalated the situation.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    Yes was in the parking lot one evening when two gentleman decided to block me in and get out of their car. When I got out 1911 first they decided to leave. That is the one and only time I have ever drawn my weapon from it's holster to do any thing but target shoot.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    one time in GA. while at a drive through window paying with my son in car seat next to me a drunk walked up to pass. window asking for money told him no and asked him to back away from car , he proceeded to reach in bye my son so i grabbed my kimber and asked again . he did and i thought the manager was going to ---- his self . sometimes you have to ask in a different language .

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Maybe if we start talking about bacon and OC ATM will show up ... :D

230559053.jpg

mn-opencarry18_P_0501451128.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Waiting for our resident atty to weigh in on this one, but if I'm not mistaken, isn't this called "brandishing"? And isn't that at least a misdemeanor?

:popcorn:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Waiting for our resident atty to weigh in on this one, but if I'm not mistaken, isn't this called "brandishing"? And isn't that at least a misdemeanor?

:popcorn:

There is no brandishing law in Indiana that im aware of. :dunno:
    It's a misdemeanor if you point your gun at someone (loaded or not), not if you take it out of your holster without pointing it at anyone.

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    One night I was driving around Cincy on the interstate, and stopped at a rest stop. I went in to take a ****, and left my chief's special in the Jeep. Just about the time I unzipped and started to go, the stall door at the back of the bathroom was slammed open, and a guy in a Pirates jacket came out holding a box cutter. He caught a piece of my back, and I took off running, pissing on myself as I went. I got to my jeep, unlocked it with the key fob with one hand while holding my jeans up with the other. I grabbed inside the door for the .38, and as he realized what I was doing he did a 180 to the woods behind the rest stop. I flattened the tires of the only other truck in the lot (which I assumed must be his) with my pocket knife, and drove to the on ramp and called 911. The rest is the boring stuff, but he was arrested a week later, when they tracked him down by his plate # and registration.

Anyway, needless to say I don't forget to have the gun on me anymore if I have one handy.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    There is no brandishing law in Indiana that im aware of. :dunno:
    It's a misdemeanor if you point your gun at someone (loaded or not), not if you take it out of your holster without pointing it at anyone.

Actually if you point it at someone & it's loaded it's a felony. Assuming you weren't justified, of course.

Top Bottom