Have you ever pointed your gun in self defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I know most of the officers have, and this is not to exclude them. Have you ever been in a situation where you had to pull your weapon in self defense. What I would like to hear is the situation, emotional thoughts, did tunnel vision kick in, the outcome and would you have done anything different? I am not trying to second guess anyone and I won't. I am not criticizing and will not. Did any training kick in in and how did it help?

Last edited:

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    had to defend myself once when i was carrying, didnt pull out my gun though. Just pugilized him into submission. I still wonder if i did the right thing, but i was a boxer as a teenager, and have had no formal firearms training. so i think what came instictually to me is what i did.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I have a number of times (although I'm a Marine)....only a couple times was it maybe a little bit of "jumping the gun" but I'm ALIVE.....a lot of time training takes over (depending on how hard you've trained/how deeply it's imbedded into you)...but their are instances where it does not...generally, when it goes to hand to hand/ground game...but that's not your topic of discussion

emotions...I can't really comment on...I'm pretty cold....

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I have a number of times (although I'm a Marine)....only a couple times was it maybe a little bit of "jumping the gun" but I'm ALIVE.....a lot of time training takes over (depending on how hard you've trained/how deeply it's imbedded into you)...but their are instances where it does not...generally, when it goes to hand to hand/ground game...but that's not your topic of discussion

emotions...I can't really comment on...I'm pretty cold....

Let me take the time to thank you for your service.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    I did while overseas, and I'll second what the1kid03 says. training kinda kicks in and you see a target, not a person. Now that I've been out of the military for several years, I'm happy to say I've never had to draw on anyone. Not sure if it would be different now, but I'm guessing I would get an adrenaline dump and go into fight mode.

Twiggsx1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2011
    Indy
    I had to i was walking my K-9 and as i was returning home , wife in the apartment two men were walking up to the front door, trying the door knob just as i returned,the dog was beside me when i asked what they were doing they said they were looking for someone, as i told them they had the wrong house one of the men went into his coat pocket, i unleashed the dog and told the guys to get on the ground, when searched he had a 38 i didnt have time to think it was all training

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    False alarmed once when hiking in the national forest around dusk. Big rustling in trees headed my way; I unholstered and drew on a deer. Felt silly, but it might not have been a deer.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    an angry deer can mess u up too

Mind you, mØØse bites can be nasti... :lmfao:

I have not had to draw on anyone. God willing, I never will, but there have been times where I felt I was ready to if the situation worsened. Adrenalin dump? Hell yes, when it was done.

Good thread, OP. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    First time I ever pulled my gun, I was barely 22. I had been an officer for 3 months. We stopped a stolen car. The biggest guy got out and looked like he was going to rip my head off. We already had our weapons out. I still (to this day) remember the car, a marron and black Buick Electra 225. We took him and a couple more into custody. No one saw me shake from the adrenalin dump. Yeah it happens. My training officer told me we did okay.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I know most of the officers have, and this is not to exclude them. Have you ever been in a situation where you had to pull your weapon in self defense. What I would like to hear is the situation, emotional thoughts, did tunnel vision kick in, the outcome and would you have done anything different? I am not trying to second guess anyone and I won't. I am not criticizing and will not. Did any training kick in in and how did it help?
    Yes, once. Well, as a civilian, not counting the Marines. I was outside a Mike's car wash, and to make a long story short, I had to pull a 1911 on a dude who was asking for five dollars to get some gas for his truck(that was down the road of course). He got really pushy and started to fumble with something in his pocket of the nasty old M65 field jacket he was wearing. I told him to get the hell away from me, but he still kept walking towards me saying "I need five dollar M....r F....r"! Then I drew on him and he stops, looks at me hard for about two or three seconds, then turns on his heels and starts walking away fast saying "The Honky trying to shoot me". Well, I put the gun back in my holster and then some care goes tearing away, someone not involved, so I call the police on the cell phone and report it. Again, to make a long story short, they show up and ask what happened. (I had unloaded my gun and had it setting on the roof of my car by the time they showed up) Apparently they knew the guy, street person named T-Bone. They checked out my gun and permit, along with my drivers licence, then let me go. I thank God that I did not have to shoot the guy, because the legallities of that kind of encounter would really suck. :n00b:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Nope...and I hope I never have to.

7.62-5.56Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, IN
    i did, but it wasnt a human being. my fiance and i wwere taking a walk in southport and a good sized pitbull ran up to my pregnant fiance with teeth showing i was about 3 feet behind her. the pitbull stopped and stared barking very aggressivly* i drew my weapon took aim discharged 3 rounds into the dog he took two steps away and stopped barking. a black guy came out of the house across the street and started screaming and threatening me. (why would you threaten someone who just shot and killed your dog?) my fiance was on the phone with the police and when they showed up took my name and checked my LTCH had an ambulace come check out my fiance gave the guy a ticket for something (i cant recall) gave me a ticket for discharging a firearm in city limits. they called animal control. to come pick up the dog. and we were on our way.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I have not had to since I became a civilian. There have been a few times when I was right on the edge of it, but was able to diffuse the situation.

Closest I have come recently was when the punks shot up the house behind mine I did end up grabbing the gun and hitting the back yard, but they had already peeled outta there by the time I got downstairs and out the door, so it only semi counts.

I don't think the adrenaline dump ever really goes completely away.

Also. Plinker, I totally agree with your sig line.:ar15:

WillyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Outside of the overseas tours I've been on, I have once in the US as an armed citizen. I was travelling through Trashvi....I mean Nashville Tn moving back from Camp LeJeune. My wife and I were in our vehicle and my father was behind us in our U-haul truck. When we went to pull into a gas station the U-haul was bumrushed by 3 adult hispanic males. 1 went to the drivers door, and the other 2 went to the passenger side and opened the door. I had seen them before they even came by my vehicle and was watching to see what they were doing, and watched them run straight to the truck. I threw my car into park opening the door and drawing my Taurus Judge from IWB. I began to yell out verbal commands and one of them screamed "Pistola! Pistola!" and they all scattered different directions. I walked back to my dad (who had a white knuckle grip on the steering wheel) and asked him if he was ok. All he could say was "Boy, I'm so glad you had that gun". We still get a good laugh out of it every now and then.

Top Bottom