• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Long story short, I've been having some issues with my 10/22 suppressor host. I built the rifle a few years ago and its been deadly accurate until the past few months. It had went from sub 1" groups at 50yds to 4-8" groups with my Thompson Machine Zephyr. I figured it was the scope (cheap tasco) so I went out this morning and picked up a new Nikon Prostaff to throw on it. I got home, threw it on and headed out back.

I went to sight it in and it was still all over the paper so I broke it all back down again and checked the barrel screws, scope base, rings, etc and tried again but still no luck. I sat there scratching my head for a bit and decided to give it a try without the can.

Bingo, it was grouping great again. So I stripped the can down and found this...

IMAG0190_BURST002_zps967d788f.jpg

IMAG0192_zpsa4b34787.jpg

IMAG0193_zps69bde940.jpg

IMAG0194_zpsb5a3f2eb.jpg

IMAG0196_zps396d25c2.jpg

IMAG0199_BURST002_zpsf91fc324.jpg

You can see there have been a couple of baffle strikes over the years, but nothing really jumped out at me as being a serious problem. Am I missing something? Can a couple (2) baffle strikes affect accuracy this much? Pics 1&3 are the same strike just different angles. This is my first and only can so I'm debating on calling Brooks at Thompson Machine.

I've been using CCI subsonic loads, with the only exception being a few hundred rounds of gemtech I picked up a few months ago.

ShootinIron

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville
    strike...

Have you tried running a rod through it to make sure the nicks wouldn't touch the bullets? Nicks and strikes can change the air flow as the bullet travels through the can and throw off accuracy. The CCI and Gemtech ammo is fine. Check with Brooks on repair or replacement of the baffle, may cost you a few bucks. Ask him about a baffle exchange with a local dealer (he knows which of us he has sent Zephyrs to). Your local dealer should be happy to help you with this, if you have any problems come and see me.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Have you tried running a rod through it to make sure the nicks wouldn't touch the bullets? Nicks and strikes can change the air flow as the bullet travels through the can and throw off accuracy. The CCI and Gemtech ammo is fine. Check with Brooks on repair or replacement of the baffle, may cost you a few bucks. Ask him about a baffle exchange with a local dealer (he knows which of us he has sent Zephyrs to). Your local dealer should be happy to help you with this, if you have any problems come and see me.

I haven't tried running anything through it yet as I started back to work friday night. I did send brooks an email with the same pics as above friday evening so I'm looking for him to get back with me this week hopefully. Thanks for the info, if I end up getting a replacement baffle I might look you up.

Top Bottom