HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    They updated the bills that are awaiting the Governors signature, there are a lot of them. There is also one in there about CLEO sign offs.

May I ask where you are getting this info? I would like to find a place online to not only track not only pending bills but also ones that the Governor has signed into law.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    Does it still state the approved center fire rifle calibers can only be used on private land?

The summary (cut and pasted from the link up above....)

Deer hunting. Provides that certain rifles may be used to hunt deer on privately owned land during the firearms seasons beginning after June 30, 2016, and ending before January 1, 2020. Requires the department of natural resources (DNR) to report on the impact of the use of rifles to hunt deer. Authorizes the use of a handgun that fires a commercially available bullet of 10 millimeters in diameter to hunt deer.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    A more direct link - House Bill 1231 - Deer hunting - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session
    Clicking on the "Bill Actions" pane on the left, it indicates that it passed both houses, and the required signatures from House Speaker, President Pro Tempore, and President of the Senate (i.e. Lieutenant Governor) are already on it.
    The only remaining signature to be added is that of the governor himself, and that will definitely happen as well.
    After that, there are some possible amendment processes (probably adding the words "Winchester" and "Springfield" to each listed "caliber"), then it will go into effect by mid-July.
    If you don't already have a .30-30 (Winchester), .308 (Winchester), .300 (Winchester Magnum), or .30-06 (Springfield), now would be a good time to get one if you want to be a part of history this fall.
    It also appears that they'll also be allowing both 10mm Auto and .40 S&W, which would also (presumably) mean that the few 10mm Auto Magnum guns and .38-40 will also be permitted.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A more direct link - House Bill 1231 - Deer hunting - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session
    Clicking on the "Bill Actions" pane on the left, it indicates that it passed both houses, and the required signatures from House Speaker, President Pro Tempore, and President of the Senate (i.e. Lieutenant Governor) are already on it.
    The only remaining signature to be added is that of the governor himself, and that will definitely happen as well.
    After that, there are some possible amendment processes (probably adding the words "Winchester" and "Springfield" to each listed "caliber"), then it will go into effect by mid-July.
    If you don't already have a .30-30 (Winchester), .308 (Winchester), .300 (Winchester Magnum), or .30-06 (Springfield), now would be a good time to get one if you want to be a part of history this fall.
    It also appears that they'll also be allowing both 10mm Auto and .40 S&W, which would also (presumably) mean that the few 10mm Auto Magnum guns and .38-40 will also be permitted.

Uh, the 10mm magnum has always been legal in handgun (it's over the 1.16" case min).
    Back in the day, a few S&W 610's got modified for that very reason.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Uh, the 10mm magnum has always been legal in handgun (it's over the 1.16" case min).
    Back in the day, a few S&W 610's got modified for that very reason.

Yep, I probably could have looked up the case length for 10mm AM.
    Of course, the old-timer .38-40 has been legal ever since handguns and handgun caliber rifles were legalized.
    It's not very important to me, but having 10mm/.40 calibers legalized makes all of my centerfire guns legal, although my 10mm Auto won't be used except for an unlikely coup de grace.
    It's likely that they'll amend it to allow only the 10mm Auto while excluding the .40 S&W, though.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

I'm slow but your saying I could use my Federal Ordnance M14 in .308 but have to use Winchester .308 and couldn't use Federal .308…? The brand of ammo doesn't make sense…if this is what your saying so I can't see that happening?

Also this is for private land only, correct? Do you have to own the land? Or if you have permission to hunt private land from the owner its legal also?

Thanks.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Oh, it does, but unless the bullet is .357 (we all know that true 9mm bullets actually mic out to .355), it still wouldn't be legal, at least as the law is currently written.

Handgun spec is .243 or larger and 1.16 or longer.
    They dropped down from the .35 cal min some time back.

Since we were talking about the inclusion of the 10mm auto with the new rules, I was talking about the 9mm Mag in handgun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The way the law looks to be written, they are going to allow reg 10mm auto in handguns for deer.
    Doesn't say the 10mm auto is deer rifle legal.
    1.16" min is still a rifle requirement.

10mm Mag would make the old handgun spec, and meet the rifle requirement.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I'm slow but your saying I could use my Federal Ordnance M14 in .308 but have to use Winchester .308 and couldn't use Federal .308…? The brand of ammo doesn't make sense…if this is what your saying so I can't see that happening?

Also this is for private land only, correct? Do you have to own the land? Or if you have permission to hunt private land from the owner its legal also?

Thanks.
    Winchester .308 is the actual name of the cartridge, as it was developed by Winchester. Just like the .223 is actually named the Remington .223 since Remington developed it.Almost all cartridges carry a name of a developer. Unless you are involved in handloading and read the manuals a lot most cartridges just get called out by caliber (.223 .243 .357 etc ) or their old BP name (.30-30 .45-70) or as in the case of the .30-06, caliber and year.You can buy you .308 ammo from anybody you want or load them yourself.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Winchester .308 is the actual name of the cartridge, as it was developed by Winchester. Just like the .223 is actually named the Remington .223 since Remington developed it.Almost all cartridges carry a name of a developer. Unless you are involved in handloading and read the manuals a lot most cartridges just get called out by caliber (.223 .243 .357 etc ) or their old BP name (.30-30 .45-70) or as in the case of the .30-06, caliber and year.You can buy you .308 ammo from anybody you want or load them yourself.

Got ya. Thanks

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie

Thanks.

Dave that would be Winchester as the "official" name of the cartridge. Similar to .30-06 "Springfield".
    And private land that you either own, or have permission to hunt on.
    Did you catch the part about the ammo possession? If I got it right, you can have only 10 rounds of ammo in your possession while hunting with a HPR.

Edit - I'm a little slow yet this morning. Needs more coffee!!!!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    When does DNR normally publish their yearly hunting guide?

If the Technical Correction day is normally in June, and there are rumors that the bill will be clarified/"corrected" to only 5 specific chamberings (ie. 300WM, excluding 300 AAC Blackout, 300 Savage, etc.) at that time, will there be sufficient time for DNR to process that and write policy per HB1231 to be in effect for this fall's deer season?

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The hunting guide comes out later in the year. It seems like it is out before squirrel season, which comes in August 15th.
    There is plenty of time to make changes to the HPR regs.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Dave that would be Winchester as the "official" name of the cartridge. Similar to .30-06 "Springfield".
    And private land that you either own, or have permission to hunt on.
    Did you catch the part about the ammo possession? If I got it right, you can have only 10 rounds of ammo in your possession while hunting with a HPR.

Edit - I'm a little slow yet this morning. Needs more coffee!!!!

Thanks Mark, I kinda figured it might be a 5 round thing, better look around for some mags I guess….or thow a round in with no mag, guess that would work!
    I'll send ya a pm, been awhile!!!

Top Bottom