• ...and so much more!
  • fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Hey all,

Been a long while since I've posted on here.

I'm looking at picking up my first and probably only shotgun for HD. I'm looking at a Mossberg 590A1 (for now it feels the best in my hands). One question I had was 6 shot (5+1) or 9 shot (8+1)? Everything I read is people saying go with the 6 shot (18.5 inch barrel) because it's easier to maneuver\lighter\etc. but I see ALOT of peoples setups with the 9 shot (20 inch barrel).

The only shotty I have shot (get it!) was a 6 shot.

I don't plan to hunt with it.

Soo...what are your thoughts? I have a good sized home I guess, not alot of tight corners/hallways. I can't imagine using 5 rounds against a home invader but what do I know :dunno:. If I run out it's to the Glock I go! :ar15:

Is the 9 shot alot heavier? Nose heavier? Less recoil in the 9?

Looking to hear from those who know.

Also is a light a necessity? Seems harder to mount on the 20 inch so that may sway my choice.

Or if you have a better recommendation let me know!

Thanks!

FG12351

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For in the house, an 18" is what I'd stick with. I can't think of any reasonable home defense scenario that is going to take 9 rounds,

That said, a pump shotgun is one platform were number of rounds isn't that critical. A pump shotgun can always be topped off. Unlike magazine or cylinder fed weapons, you don't have to worry about tactical reloads or wasting rounds.

4-6 is fine, just remember to practice feeding the gun. Get some dummy rounds and practice, practice, practice. If you need to fire again during a reload, you aren't reduced to a single shot (like a box magazine fed weapon) or out of action (like a cylinder fed). Shoot when you have to, feed when time allows.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I believe a light is a necessity. I also would stick to the 18" barrelled version due to length and weight.

This.You need a light to ID your target.You dont shoot a shadows or noises to find out that you killed your wifes or drunk neighbor who tried to open the wrong door.
    You might have a power outage during a homa invasion so you need a battery powered light on your gun.

6 shots is not a lot for a gun, but 9 is not that much more.
    With a shotgun the more important thing is to learn how to reaload it quick.Have extra ammo on the gun and get good at reloading it.

A sling might also be a good thing to get your hands free if you need carry stuff, provide first aid, grab a phone to call the police etc.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Thanks guys! I will definitely look at a light option. What about sights? Ghostring or bead? I have not used ghostring. I have mepros on my Glock.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the sights,probably won't have time to use em anyway.Main thing is to get what you feel comfortable with that works every time.:twocents:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Thanks guys! I will definitely look at a light option. What about sights? Ghostring or bead? I have not used ghostring. I have mepros on my Glock.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the sights,probably won't have time to use em anyway.Main thing is to get what you feel comfortable with that works every time.:twocents:

No matter what you hear, you DO have to aim with a shotgun. At 21ft (about the farthest I would have to shoot in my house) my 870 with an 18 1/2" barrel shooting military 00 buck puts all 9 pellets through 1 fist sized hole. I have an XS Big Dot tritium sight on the front. They are about $60 and epoxy over the bead.

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Honestly - the added 1.5 inches of length isn't a big deal with something that long anyway.

I went with 8+1 because I would rather have 2 extra rounds for the added 1.5" of length.

Either way you can't really go wrong.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you go the shorter route... See if the 2" Centurion buckshot shells will cycle in your shotgun. That's an easy way to add at least +1 capacity.

-J-

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Backdoor, 20", interior of house/bedroom 18", bead sights and lights on all.

You will never tire of the shorter barrel but you might of the longer one. It is not just the length, it is the overall weight difference. Barrels, ammo and lights add up in weight.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to swing by my local place again and see what feels the best before pulling the trigger.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I think the Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch edition is about the best HD shotgun you can get from the factory (for the money).

It has an 18.5" barrel
    12.75 inch reduced LOP stock
    Breacher tipped barrel (if you're into that sort of thing)
    and a tri-rail hand-guard that can accept a compact weapon-light like a Surefire X-series or Streamlight TLR

Plus you can get it for $380 delivered from budsgunshop.

thunder_ranch-tfb.jpg

MP43

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Rochester
    I have a Moss 500 pistol grip with light. Dont need to worry about sights because where the beam of the light hits at any distance i am in the house is the heart of where the gun shoots, so if my beam touches the intruder something else will also and i will be able to see what and who i may be shooting.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    7734444970_d47a691a0d.jpg

I have the Model 500 SPX with hogue 12" LOP stock and Hogue Forend. I have a RCS/Ares Gear Velcro Side Saddle on the other side and only need to get a CDM Gear Mod C flashlight Mount and I will be all set with my HD shotgun.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Handle both in store. Not a huge difference between the 2 IMO. I snagged a 5 shot model, because I got a good deal on it. Ended up liking the handling a bit better on it to.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I think the Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch edition is about the best HD shotgun you can get from the factory (for the money).

It has an 18.5" barrel
    12.75 inch reduced LOP stock
    Breacher tipped barrel (if you're into that sort of thing)
    and a tri-rail hand-guard that can accept a compact weapon-light like a Surefire X-series or Streamlight TLR

Plus you can get it for $380 delivered from budsgunshop.

thunder_ranch-tfb.jpg
    In the real world those toothy muzzles eat gun cases and truck interiors. Anything you slide them into, onto or lay them on top of is at risk. They don't help clean the gun either. I have been known to run just about anything down a barrel to clean it out and rags will get caught on those too.

In the house they will catch drapes, couches and cats like no tomorrow. You will end up all spun up in fabric and fur looking like something out of a bad Charlie Brown Halloween remake.

It is purely a marketing gimmic. Guys are visual animals. If they were really smart they would make shotguns look like boobs.

Top Bottom