• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you believe is the biggest factor in poor health?

• Food intake

Votes: 48 52.7%
    • Water pollution

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Environment (excluding food, water, meds, or illegal drugs)

Votes: 4 4.4%
    • Genetics

Votes: 12 13.2%
    • I don't really know

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Inactivity

Votes: 23 25.3%
    • just bacon

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Haha you guys are fun! But yeah, this is why I thought I'd test the waters, before I share any personal experiences. No reason to discuss something that no one wants to touch. Skepticism is healthy, if it increases objectivity.
    I'd love to post questions just to get people thinking critically and objectively about their health, but if it turns into a crap show rather than a civil discussion, then I won't bother. Maybe some things are still just too taboo to even speak openly about, even if it means the difference between diabetes and a healthy, independent life, for example.
    I predict that this is similar to the reformed smoker or alcoholic that for some inexplicable reason feels compelled to proselytize to others, others that do not have their same problem.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I predict that this is similar to the reformed smoker or alcoholic that for some inexplicable reason feels compelled to proselytize to others, others that do not have their same problem.
    This is where being a formerly fat guy who lost 96# going moderate to low carb comes in handy. Here's my proselytizing...and very few seem to mind:

Bacon.png

2023 will be year 19 of not being a fat guy anymore.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The only acceptable answer is yes.

R.f81d34e9ea57c52f5ced58530be24ae7

pablanu3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2023
    Bedford
    I suppose in a way. I've seen too many people I care about die avoidable deaths when the answer is staring us in the face every day. And I'm talking otherwise "healthy" people, who ran cross country daily. I was one of those who thought I was healthy, never eating processed of fast food, yet I was getting closer and closer to the common causes of death in this area of the world. It's even worse in this part of the state.

Anyways, my posts might not be appealing to everyone, but if it can get even one person thinking outside the system, then that's one more person who'll have a better chance of living to see their great grandchildren.
    The nice part is, it's a free country, and people can choose for themselves whether to read or listen to others' ideas. But, like a library, the more information we have out there and published, the more it helps people make decisions for themselves. But if we limit that, then people only get one narrative. Imagine a library with just a handful of books all saying the same thing in different ways...that's how Google searches are getting these days, but with the recent addition of "fact checkers" to keep you in line in case you read the "wrong" thing.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Lets not forget those of us that lost the genetics lottery. Eating healthy, exercising regularly and having your triglycerides spike at 40 is fun. When my triglyceride score looks like my SAT results when I'm doing all the "right" things that sucks.

FIL has a wierd genetic issue that turns green vegeables into a form of cholesterol that requires him to have a $1500 every 2 week injection. The many is far from obese, but lost the genetic lottery as well.

Dad and I have the widow maker. We have to watch our health because of that. Yay. Genetics isn't the only factor, but it is one of them for sure.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I suppose in a way. I've seen too many people I care about die avoidable deaths when the answer is staring us in the face every day. And I'm talking otherwise "healthy" people, who ran cross country daily. I was one of those who thought I was healthy, never eating processed of fast food, yet I was getting closer and closer to the common causes of death in this area of the world. It's even worse in this part of the state.

Anyways, my posts might not be appealing to everyone, but if it can get even one person thinking outside the system, then that's one more person who'll have a better chance of living to see their great grandchildren.
    The nice part is, it's a free country, and people can choose for themselves whether to read or listen to others' ideas. But, like a library, the more information we have out there and published, the more it helps people make decisions for themselves. But if we limit that, then people only get one narrative. Imagine a library with just a handful of books all saying the same thing in different ways...that's how Google searches are getting these days, but with the recent addition of "fact checkers" to keep you in line in case you read the "wrong" thing.
    What are you saying is the problem?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Eat right, exercise, die anyway.

SWMBO always eats balanced and healthy, but was put on a no carbs/no sugar/no dairy/no grains diet for her inflammation issue by a California "doctor." Didn't help the inflammation but he nearly killed her. She got down to 85 lbs. before we said "ENOUGH!" She exercises regularly (doctors don't believe her), eats healthy (doctors don't believe her), and their answer is eventually "We don't know." SO HOW ABOUT SENDING US TO SOMEONE WHO DOES?

Genetics is a b****.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Eat right, exercise, die anyway.

SWMBO always eats balanced and healthy, but was put on a no carbs/no sugar/no dairy/no grains diet for her inflammation issue by a California "doctor." Didn't help the inflammation but he nearly killed her. She got down to 85 lbs. before we said "ENOUGH!" She exercises regularly (doctors don't believe her), eats healthy (doctors don't believe her), and their answer is eventually "We don't know." SO HOW ABOUT SENDING US TO SOMEONE WHO DOES?

Genetics is a b****.
    we had a doctor that was 100% on the BMI train. you had to be at that weight on that chart or you were obese. That chart had me at 160. A 18 I was 173, wore a 44L jacket and had a 29"waist and 32" inseam. I was as thin as I could get, but I come from a family that bred large bones and muscle mass. We bulk. To get to 160 I would need to become sedantary, and cut my calorie intake to 1000 a day. Didn't sound like the place I wanted to be. My BIL is my height and he does weigh 160. But he also has 1/3 the muscle mass and bone structure. He is a classic runners physique and I would have fit the body builder.

Now, that doesn't mean I haven't lost my way and made poor choices. We all do. Life gets in there. Eating for me is a coping mechanism for my anxiety and depression so yeah...I make poor choices in that regard. But I can tell you I don't want to live life being miserable just so I can die healthy.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

What's your game here friend?

Most folks come to a gun forum to talk about guns.

Your contributions are interesting. We have numerous threads where they would fit. Seeing that you are not lost for words, one might assume you'd know how to search the forum to post your interests accordingly?

This thread appears that you are fishing for something? :hooked:

Top Bottom